Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 09-09-2016, 06:10 PM   #1
Fergler
Human being with feelings

Default Arpeggiate notes not working as expected (SOLVED)

... for me anyway. Pretty sure this is a bug.

I select only the second pair of notes in order to make a different arpeggiation shape for it.

Reaper then selects all the notes in the item and operates on all of them.

It should only be operating on the notes I selected, yes? And also not changing my selection?

Last edited by juliansader; 10-21-2016 at 07:31 AM.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:59 PM   #2
vanhaze

Happens here also.
Reaper 5.25pre4 - 64bit, OSX 10.11.6.

Is not related to this prerelease version of Reaper: i had noticed this also in 5.24 official release.
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:05 PM   #3
FnA

Not happening here. Conflict with other mouse modifier? Left CLICK maybe?

Ok it does happen here if left click is set to add note and all later notes to selection

Last edited by FnA; 09-09-2016 at 08:10 PM.
FnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:15 PM   #4
vanhaze

Thanks for your help.

I have set "insert note (just insert) set as default left click mouse action.
So to me, doesn't seem related to the assignment of this mouse action.
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:33 PM   #5
FnA

I mean the click that has the same modifier as the arpeggiate action, if that wasn't clear.

For example: control win click = add note and all later notes to selection. Control Win drag = Stretch note positions ignoring snap. This triggers the click action as soon as the left mouse button is down here. Maybe not a "conflict." Maybe it's a feature!
Old 09-10-2016, 07:37 AM   #6
Fergler

Ok I got it. It's actually not selecting all notes.. it's selecting all notes in the measure (and deselecting all others).
So that tells me there's some willed coding going on behind this... I think that's safe to interpret anyway. Justin?

Licecap:

Last edited by Fergler; 09-10-2016 at 08:31 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:16 PM   #7
Fergler

Ok, yeah I see that is causing the problem.

Shift + Alt is set to Select all notes in Measure, FnA is right.

So I guess that makes this a for sure bug. Because left click is different from left drag, a click is no mouse movement and release. A drag is mouse movement of a significant amount and then a release at some point.

But I am happy now at least I have returned the arpeggiate to its normal function and can use it again! I really like it. MIDI editor needs more interactive tools like that, hint hint!
Old 10-21-2016, 04:34 AM   #8
gofer
-blänk-

Yeah. I had some occasions where click conflicted with drag as well.

As of more tools like that, I requested one that works similar to arpeggiate, but for note edge editing. So we could make a chord "strum" at note starts and still have the note ends at the original time. To emulate, say, strumming a guitar chord and stopping the whole chord at once instead of "strumming" the chord's end, too. It's a bit prone to produce tiny one-tick-notes, but that's easily avoided just by watching what you're doing
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 06:24 AM   #9
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
So I guess that makes this a for sure bug. Because left click is different from left drag, a click is no mouse movement and release. A drag is mouse movement of a significant amount and then a release at some point.
This issue was also raised in the thread MIDI editor: Double-click and click-drag actions also call the single-click action, where schwa answered:
Quote:
This has come up before in different contexts. Unfortunately, there is literally no way for REAPER to know that a single click is just the start of what the user intends as a double-click, so the single click will always be processed first.

(We have even experimented with delaying the single-click processing, but that leads to undesirable behaviors. One place in REAPER where you can see an obvious workaround for this problem is when double-clicking one of multiple selected MIDI items, with "behavior for open items in built-in MIDI editor" set to "open all selected items". The single click will deselect all but one item, but then the double-click restores the previous selection before opening the MIDI editor.)

The only solution is for the user who customizes mouse modifiers to take care that double-click mouse modifiers are not inconsistent with the equivalent single-click modifiers.
I am not particularly fond of this behavior either, but one can try to make lemonade from this lemon by using it to combine mouse modifiers in creative and useful ways. (I think Kenny demonstrated something like this in one of his videos.)

Last edited by juliansader; 10-21-2016 at 06:46 AM.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:10 AM   #10
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
I am not particularly fond of this behavior either
Can't really do anything about it, since single click needs to be performed before a drag. You can only be careful about your modifier assignments...
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:02 AM   #11
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Can't really do anything about it, since single click needs to be performed before a drag. You can only be careful about your modifier assignments...
This is indeed what schwa also confirmed, so I have marked both these threads as SOLVED.

Last edited by juliansader; 10-21-2016 at 09:27 AM.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:00 PM   #12
FnA

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
A lot of actions get fired on button UP...(this particular action is not a huge matter to me)

(edit nm dumb comment. edit cursor is still being forced too)

Forcing deselection of notes reduces the possibilities with mouse modifiers. I think most people would rather have more options for doing things to all selected notes than have all but note under mouse cursor deselected. Rather confusing. For example: CONTROL SHIFT Click works with action Edit: Split notes on ALL selected notes. CONTROL ALT Click with same action deselects all but note under mouse first, splitting only that one.

Last edited by FnA; 10-22-2016 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 01:03 PM   #13
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by FnA View Post
Forcing deselection of notes reduces the possibilities with mouse modifiers. I think most people would rather have more options for doing things to all selected notes than have all but note under mouse cursor deselected. Rather confusing. For example: CONTROL SHIFT Click works with action Edit: Split notes on ALL selected notes. CONTROL ALT Click with same action deselects all but note under mouse first, splitting only that one.
I am glad that you discovered this behavior. Schwa has recently fixed several of these forced deselection bugs, and the only remaining example that I knew of, was that double-clicking in CC lane automatically deselects all events, even if "No action" is selected.

If you know of any other examples, please let me know so that we can submit a bug report and include it in the list of MIDI bugs.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:22 PM   #14
FnA

MIDI editor: do not deselect events unless piano roll left-click mouse modifier is set to deselect (which it is, by default) [t=177858]

Are there any more tricks like this to be aware of? Is this assignment related to selection in note context? I'm using View: Move edit cursor to mouse cursor on this machine (not my main DAW) for piano roll left click. SHIFT and CONTROL are default (in piano roll and note context).

I always thought there was some tie to OS type modifier key behavior (such as Control toggles, Shift adds, etc.) Or possibly depends on what you have Shift and Control assigned to, i.e. Add to selection/toggle. I don't like that for MIDI note or media item context. Makes it hard to assign enough things. I have not done research on this lately. (wording is bad for "Add note to selection." It adds a "range of notes." I think this terminology was used at one time, but not in 5.27.)

Here's some more examples.

--Toggle note mute (*available in mouse modifier menu) on CTRL ALT WIN click deselects.
--Halve note length(*) on SHIFT CTRL WIN deselects.
--Set note channel higher(*) on SHIFT CTRL ALT deselects.

--Split notes on grid (from Action List) on SHIFT ALT deselects.
--Split notes on grid (from Action List) on ALT WIN does not deselect first.

This is too hard to keep track of. You can "move edit cursor to mouse cursor" and "unselect all" (*edit below) in custom actions. Should not happen automatically.

*edit - maybe this is not entirely valid here, because it requires a script to select note under mouse cursor. It is still more valuable to be able to do actions to all selected notes than to have this deselection going on.

Last edited by FnA; 10-22-2016 at 05:50 PM.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:53 PM   #15
juliansader

I reported the deselection bug in the thread MIDI editor: Left-click deselects all events, no matter what action specified.

It appears that the bug fix that you referred to did not fix the bug in all of the MIDI editor's mouse modifier contexts.