Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 12-02-2020, 12:11 PM   #1
Blind Squirrel
Human being with feelings

Default Cannot get Reaper to open. At all.

I have used Reaper very happily for nearly four years. It has been running on a 2015 MacBook Pro with 16 GB of memory and 250 GB of storage. I have always used the 64 bit version of the Reaper software, optimized for Catalina (I have version 10.15.7), which is where this story begins.

A couple of weeks ago, MacBook began telling me that I was running out of storage, which I found odd, because I put most docs on the cloud, even if it is slow to give them back sometimes when my internet connection has flu-like symptoms.

So I bought a Glyph 2TB external hard drive and started dumping stuff, including old tracks and plug-ins, into it to clear up space.

The strategy worked really nicely for a few days -- plenty o' space, and I could reach into the Glyph for whatever I wanted.

Then my Mac wanted to update. I thought, "Sure; why not?" and when it re-opened after its update, Reaper had an update for me, too. Still unexceptional. I updated and put the new version in my applications folder, like always.

And then my previous sins were revealed, in a vague and confusing way. I don't know yet if the sins are cardinal or venal, but they have been resolute in keeping Reaper from opening. A lovely wheel spins in front of its badge, while the badge itself announces that it is scanning vst plug-ins.

Forever, so far.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Reaper several times, I have tried to return the plug-ins I so cavalierly disturbed, I have even bought a new license, in the (erroneous) hope that it would provide the necessary plenary indulgence that would at least discount my sins.

Surely I'm not the only person to have screwed things up this badly. So somebody help me, please -- how do I get things back to their rightful operating state(s)?

Thanks in advance!
Blind Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:12 PM   #2
Jae.Thomas

what exactly is it stuck on? I am having stuck issues, too
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:25 PM   #3
Blind Squirrel

It's initializing registration info, but that's not the only place it has been hung up. Once it was scanning VST: reavoice, and once it was befuddled by reaper.vst.plugins.ini.

And thanks for replying. Hell is actually a bit easier to endure when there's somebody else in here, too.
Old 12-02-2020, 12:37 PM   #4
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Squirrel View Post
It's initializing registration info, but that's not the only place it has been hung up. Once it was scanning VST: reavoice, and once it was befuddled by reaper.vst.plugins.ini.

And thanks for replying. Hell is actually a bit easier to endure when there's somebody else in here, too.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=245757

does any of this comport with your experience>?
Old 12-02-2020, 12:38 PM   #5
Blind Squirrel

Okay. I just re-installed it and was able to open it "dry" by mashing the shift key when I clicked on the app icon. It checked all of the VST plug-ins, tossed one it couldn't verify (even though it used to be friendly with it), and opened in an unfamiliar configuration. But any configuration is better than not opening at all. Then it asked me to choose an audio device. I have also read that having a closed audio device can be a deal-breaker when one is trying to open an update.

So anyway, it's up. I'll check back later to let you know if and how it's running.
Old 12-02-2020, 01:43 PM   #6
Blind Squirrel

Worked like a charm, with the exception of needing to re-establish mixer appearances and having to remember recent projects, because the program has amnesia. But that's fine. It pulls up saved projects and plays them as saved and so far appears to operate according to the same laws it obeyed in its earlier incarnation.
So the short answer is this: open it dry, identify your audio output, and adjust settings thereafter. Good luck! I know I'm feeling lucky.
Old 12-02-2020, 01:46 PM   #7
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Worked like a charm, with the exception of needing to re-establish mixer appearances and having to remember recent projects, because the program has amnesia. But that's fine. It pulls up saved projects and plays them as saved and so far appears to operate according to the same laws it obeyed in its earlier incarnation.
So the short answer is this: open it dry, identify your audio output, and adjust settings thereafter. Good luck! I know I'm feeling lucky.
my issue had to do with my graphics card - fixed now. I think.
Old 12-02-2020, 01:47 PM   #8
serr

This is a weird take on things...

The "running out of drive space" message from OSX comes up when there's only a few hundred MB of space left. (I think it's around 350MB from memory)

Are you disagreeing with that? Do you have more space than that left and you're calling the warning errant? If so, what are the actual numbers? There shouldn't be a mystery.

Updating beyond 10.15.7...
Do you mean upgrading to OS XI (Big Sur)?
There could be fallout from the version of Reaper being unsigned for Big Sur. Workarounds include: Setting Security & Privacy to allow any 3rd party apps. Right-clicking on Reaper and then selecting open. You can read up on all this with a couple searches on this forum or google.

In general, updating to the latest brand new OS is not recommended when you do actual work and your system is one of your tools. At the very least, make a clone of your current system before updating or upgrading OS so you can easily and quickly roll back. I like Carbon Copy Cloner. It's still Mac only. Windows users mention Macrium.

Connecting to an audio interface isn't some cryptic thing. Think of it like the input selector or speaker selector on a home hi-fi receiver. If you don't choose an interface to connect to... well yeah, then you're not going to have any hardware I/O connected. This is simply matter of fact. If you switch interfaces depending on what you're doing - like using the built-in output for some internet browsing, for example - you just might have to switch back when you get back to DAW work and want a different interface. OSX is sometimes able to guess and switch things on autopilot for convenience. If you connected an external interface and used it. Then disconnected it and thus forced OSX to default to built-in. Then later connected the same external again. Sometimes that works unprompted. Honestly though, the computer can't read your mind. If you switch interfaces ever at all, just get in the habit of opening the preference page and reconnecting when you start a DAW session.

FWIW, I have emails from every 3rd party plugin maker I own plugins from as well as Apogee and MOTU advising not to upgrade to OS XI yet. Oh, and CCC too! (They published a workaround for cloning a Big Sur install at present.)
If you upgrade anyway, strap in!
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 01:51 PM   #9
Blind Squirrel

Dear Serr,
Thanks! That's really good to know. I'll be specially cautious about any further Mac updates.
Best wishes.
Old 12-02-2020, 01:52 PM   #10
Blind Squirrel

And Thomas, I hope you got your problem solved, too.
Old 12-02-2020, 02:00 PM   #11
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
And Thomas, I hope you got your problem solved, too.
so far so good, sorry if I hijacked!
Old 12-02-2020, 02:31 PM   #12
Blind Squirrel

Not at all. It was good talking with you.