Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 09-15-2017, 02:36 AM   #1
Alleyoop
Human being with feelings

Default Some help with TD30 into Reaper via Superior Drummer

Hi, I'm a new Reaper user. I have it set up on my desktop computer and It's looking really good. I'm part way through mixing a project with Buss sends for FX and stuff and I'm very impressed. Scratching the surface but so far so good.
Next is to set up on my laptop for recording my Roland TD30. Reaper is installed and linked to my Behringer X32 Producer, 32 in and 8 out. Reaper is recognizing Superior Drummer, when I click on a drum in SD it's registering audio in Reaper, but the TD30 isn't being recognized as a trigger in the SD plugin. The Roland USB driver is installed, I was able to record my kit into Mixcraft 8.
Anyone able to help with this?
Thank you.
Alleyoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 03:52 AM   #2
DarkStar

Hello Alleyoop and welcome to these forums. You'll find many helpful people here and a lot of useful information. Make sure that you: Can you run through the check-list in the User Guide, section 3.40?
Old 09-15-2017, 07:14 AM   #3
ivansc

Quick dirty answer is that you have to enable the TD30 in reaper before it will show up and work.

Open up Options/devices/MIDI and you should see the TD30 appearing as one of your MIDI in/out options.
Set it as Enable AND Control and you should be good to go.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:14 AM   #4
Alleyoop

Thank you for the forum welcome Darkstar.
I made a start on the user guide last weekend on a plane trip to an interstate family function. I was so impressed with the user guide and the features of Reaper that I purchased Reaper as soon as I returned home. I also had some Kenny Gioia tutorials to watch, so yes, thanks for the tips, i have a case of headspin.
Thanks also ivansc, I had already enabled the TD30 and X-USB and so I also enabled Control on both, but alas, no joy yet. I must be just a setting away.
I would suspect that the TD30 is not communicating correctly with my laptop except for the fact that it performs perfectly in Mixcraft 8. I've made many multitrack MIDI recordings over the last few weeks, and when I checked it today, that is still the case.
A clue. When I use one of my combined presets in SD the only drum that sounds is one that outputs to 1/2, so when I use a default kit where all drums output to 1/2, I can mouse click any drum and it triggers a sound in it's Reaper track. However, at no time have I yet had my TD30 trigger a response in Reaper.
Thanks for the help.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:18 AM   #5
Alleyoop

I've made some progress, my kit is triggering in the SD 2.0 plugin, I can record and playback........but only if I have a default kit going out to outputs 1 and 2.
How do I set Reaper up to receive multi channels from the Superior Drummer mixer?
Old 09-17-2017, 07:47 AM   #6
sisaso

Insert Virtual Instrument on new Track is one way to create Multiple outs for a VSTi.
sisaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:18 PM   #7
Alleyoop

Thanks Sisaso, that's what I had already done, but I decided to do it again from scratch and it worked fine. I imported a MIDI drum track that I had recorded in Mixcraft, (had to modify the speed), and it worked fine, reading out multichannel. That's on my desktop editing machine anyhow - but I still can't figure out how to get it set up on my laptop for actually recording my kit multichannel.
Thanks again.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:52 AM   #8
DarkStar

So, you have several tracks showing in their meters the output of the different drums?

If so, then you can record that audio for each track by RecArming them and setting them to "Record Output (mono)" - right-cli8ck the RecArm button for the recording options. Then click Record and start playing.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:39 PM   #9
Alleyoop

Thanks for that, success.....finally. Multitrack was happening fine on my desktop computer, (for editing), but on the laptop,(for recording), not so much. Not sure why, so I cheated. I stripped the project down on the desktop computer and copied it over to the laptop and it's happy to playback and record there. I've created a template and can move on.
Thank you for your patience and assistance.