Old 05-20-2010, 03:32 PM   #1
ThePulse
Human being with feelings

Default External, or Internal?

When making productions I always used to flesh it out to ALMOST exactly as I heard in my head in Reason. Afterward, if needed, I would do instrument replacement via exported MIDI data, and then tweak with plug-ins in my DAW until they were just right.

But these days I find myself working with sounds directly in the DAW using VSTi's and have even done some amazing productions without the aid of Reason's MIDI editor.

So I was wondering...how many of you (outside of the Electronic/Techno/Rap Genres) are creating massive and complete productions in Reaper using just VSTi's and no external additions or help form programs like Reason?
Old 05-21-2010, 12:06 AM   #2
stupeT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePulse View Post
When making productions I always used to flesh it out to ALMOST exactly as I heard in my head in Reason. Afterward, if needed, I would do instrument replacement via exported MIDI data, and then tweak with plug-ins in my DAW until they were just right.

But these days I find myself working with sounds directly in the DAW using VSTi's and have even done some amazing productions without the aid of Reason's MIDI editor.

So I was wondering...how many of you (outside of the Electronic/Techno/Rap Genres) are creating massive and complete productions in Reaper using just VSTi's and no external additions or help form programs like Reason?
I am producing for 30 years now and do not even own Reason
Old 05-21-2010, 01:14 AM   #3
cricket

Well, to be fair stupeT, do you do any sequencing? Thats what we're really talking about here. Digital Performer has "sequencing" doesnt it?

Ooo, a jab

Anyway, it would be awesome for someone else to come add to this because I have a few bits of info about it but it leaves a question or two:

Im also a fulltime Reason user and do not use any VSTi's nor do I do any sequencing in any program (its not a DAW) other than Reason. I havent seen one "sequencing window" or "piano roll" screen in any DAW that is as remotely as fast and as good of a sequencer as Reason. I simply havent. Like stupet, I have been at it a long time as well. Ive been programming and sequencing beats for exactly 15 years now. So Ive done my share of quantizing on multiple keyboards, DAWS, and progs. Its not 30 years, but in 15 years time with sequencing, you see a lot of different ways to make beats.

What would be awesome would be if someone could detail to me the clear cut advantages to VSTi's and sequencing outside of Reason. Show me the light.

My own experience has shown me a far less featured sequencers in other DAWs than in Reason. MY other experiences have entailed being able to use about 6 or 7 VSTi's before the DAW and computer started to hate life. In Reason, my songs can have about 20 to 30 instruments playing without a hitch.

And no, Im not convinced that all VSTi sounds are better than Reasons. This is where I need my other Reaper/Reason guys like Siko to come in and stop me before I say something stupid.
Yes, theres VSTi's like Kontact that truly sound epic. But how many instances can you really work with?

There is better stuff out there than Reason and its not the be all end all. Id like someone who has maybe had the same thoughts as I do to set me straight and let me know the huge advantages to other sequencers like Cubase or Logic.
cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:17 AM   #4
ThePulse

Well, off the topic of beats, I've made some full on orchestral scores and pieces that the public had no idea were 100% synthetic.

Has anyone out there done this with a Rock, Jazz, or Blues song lately? Have you made a production from scratch fully from VSTi's, but the public thought it (in parts or whole) was played live?
Old 05-21-2010, 07:55 AM   #5
pac-man

I only use Reaper, regardless of what kind of music i make. My instruments are mostly OTB, so i'm not sure if i qualify.

But yes, i've done complete productions ~100 tracks within only reaper.
pac-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:51 AM   #6
Tod

Quote:
Yes, theres VSTi's like Kontact that truly sound epic. But how many instances can you really work with?
First of all I don't have the fastest computer and it's quite old but I've had up to 3 instances of Kontakt in Sonar. All but the 3rd one was full with 16 instruments each. The 3rd one had about 12 instruments.

That makes about 44 instruments.

Granted, it slowed Sonar down somewhat but worked just fine.

Tod
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote