Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 06-04-2021, 06:36 AM   #1
The Adam Smasher
Human being with feelings

Default The Ol Clicks and Pops Question

Hey Reaperites

So yea, I'm working through this stuff in my first real project. I'm listening to the audio through my behringer audio interface. It's scratchy like hell to anything I listen to. I can be listening to a youtube video or whatever and sure enough it's scratchy through the whole thing.

When I create a track and put some chords on it, it's of course crap because of the sratchy sound. I've watched the video on removing clicks and pops but man what a lot of work I'd have to do to remove all the scratches on every track.

The video never mentions adjusting something so it lowers whatever is putting them in, in the first place.

What is it and how do I stop it?

Last edited by The Adam Smasher; 06-04-2021 at 07:08 AM.
The Adam Smasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 06:58 AM   #2
domzy

are you talking about glitches / crackling due to the buffer of your driver being too low or clicks and pops in an audio recording?
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 07:10 AM   #3
The Adam Smasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
are you talking about glitches / crackling due to the buffer of your driver being too low or clicks and pops in an audio recording?
I guess this is in the crackling category.
Old 06-04-2021, 07:37 AM   #4
domzy

so what is your interface / driver buffer setting?
what happens when you increase it?

There are loads of posts about this common issue - you should probably check those out and do all the usual optimisations - read "glitch free", run latencymon etc.
Old 06-04-2021, 07:37 AM   #5
The Adam Smasher

Quote:
I guess this is in the crackling category.

I took what you said and went into the buffer settings and raised it from 256 to 512. I'll have to give it some time to see how it does with that.

Doesn't that affect latency if I'm recording a live instrument?
Old 06-04-2021, 07:44 AM   #6
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Adam Smasher View Post

yes - recording while monitoring through a computer is a balancing act between low latency & audio performance.

If it's an issue for you, you might want to consider direct monitoring.
Old 06-04-2021, 07:49 AM   #7
The Adam Smasher

Not sure what's going on but my laptop is now glitchy as hell. I was watching a Rick Beato video on modes and it just cut out and it didn't seem likely I was going to get back to this page.

I'll try a reboot and see if it settles down.
Old 06-04-2021, 07:55 AM   #8
DVDdoug

Quote:
Yes, a buffer is also a delay. But if a longer buffer solves the problem that will help with diagnosis and then you can work-on alternate solutions.

Quote:
I've watched the video on removing clicks and pops but man what a lot of work I'd have to do to remove all the scratches on every track.
Typically, that's for vinyl records or other analog/acoustic issues.

Digital glitches/dropouts can be prevented and it always best to prevent a problem than to fix it later (if possible).
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 08:00 AM   #9
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Adam Smasher View Post
Not sure what's going on but my laptop is now glitchy as hell. I was watching a Rick Beato video on modes and it just cut out and it didn't seem likely I was going to get back to this page.

I'll try a reboot and see if it settles down.
i see you've amended your first post to mention that the glitching happens in youtube, not just Reaper?

Is this when both are open?

If so, probably worth checking that your sample rate etc. is the same in Windows audio settings as it is in Reaper
Old 06-04-2021, 08:06 AM   #10
serr

What's your block size?

Did you read/watch any of the 'getting started' stuff and get your required latency and block size configured for a stable system?

Are you doing live input through the Reaper mixer stuff - live sound that is - where you actually need low latency? This part is an especially big deal! You could shut yourself down for no good reason.

Are you stuck with that? ie. Can you not get low enough latency and keep dropout free audio at the same time and resorting to putting up with dropouts or something?

Repairing mangled audio that has digital dropouts (and those dropouts truncate those spots of audio, so the timing is going to be choppy now too) is labor of love work and an absolute last desperate resort! Settling for a dropout laden system like that would be beyond anything reasonable. If you really have a phone-like light weight computer (let's say a worst case), you could scare up just about anything that at least lets you do the basics for $200 on ebay. Time is valuable and putting up with mangled audio like that will lead to disappointment and quitting.

Live sample rate conversions take CPU time as mentioned. Don't run multiple sample rate audio together if it's too much of a resource hit. Trying to run multiple audio apps set to different sample rates with your OS audio service leads to madness as well. These features are great for stuff in a pinch but don't just try to run with that like it doesn't take resources.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 08:13 AM   #11
The Adam Smasher

Yes vast improvement in my Reaper gentlemen.

my youtube videos are gltichy now does that mean I have to increase the buffer size again to compensate?
Old 06-04-2021, 08:22 AM   #12
The Adam Smasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
What's your block size?

Did you read/watch any of the 'getting started' stuff and get your required latency and block size configured for a stable system?
You know you're right. I reinstalled Reaper a couple of days ago. I absolutely forgot to figure out block size and stuff. It was so long ago that I did it with an older version I forgot to do it with the update.

Groan............I hated that stuff but it's gotta be done..........
Old 06-04-2021, 08:23 AM   #13
serr

Live audio inputs from your interface should be the only demanding live audio scenario. Youtube is already buffered like anything prerecorded.

I'd investigate how you're routing Youtube audio into Reaper. Or if you're running both your audio interface controlled by Reaper at the same time as a browser connected and controlled by your OS audio... that gets hairy! You can get away with a lot with Reaper but you will have to vet the multiple controllers and multiple audio systems stuff to see how and what you can get away with.

Otherwise, use one audio system and run everything at the same sample rate.
Old 06-04-2021, 10:45 AM   #14
The Adam Smasher

Quote:
Live audio inputs from your interface should be the only demanding live audio scenario. Youtube is already buffered like anything prerecorded.

I'd investigate how you're routing Youtube audio into Reaper. Or if you're running both your audio interface controlled by Reaper at the same time as a browser connected and controlled by your OS audio... that gets hairy! You can get away with a lot with Reaper but you will have to vet the multiple controllers and multiple audio systems stuff to see how and what you can get away with.
When reaper is up everything goes through my audio interface. Not sure about the second point you made.

In the meantime I've increased my buffer size to 768. 1024 was a world of hurt for me which took me 30 minutes to fix.

Seems to be fairly stable currently. I think that might do the trick.
Old 06-04-2021, 01:54 PM   #15
The Adam Smasher

Quote:
i see you've amended your first post to mention that the glitching happens in youtube, not just Reaper?

Is this when both are open?

If so, probably worth checking that your sample rate etc. is the same in Windows audio settings as it is in Reaper
Youtube is unstable so it's probably my sample rate. Makes it bloody hard to research stuff. I've done searches on the forum but nothing solid on sample rate so as much as I don't want to bother you guys, you are my lifeline.

So lets get into it.

Audio - Device - I have 44100 and 768. Should Request sample rate be checked?

What am I looking for in my win10 audio settings?
My audio in and out is currently my Behringer audio interface.

I'm really hoping to solve this today.
Old 06-04-2021, 03:23 PM   #16
solger

Make sure to use the same sample rate and bit depth settings in both Reaper and Windows (to avoid a possible sample rate mismatch): https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...a-22efda8da0c2

Some general info that might be helpful:

Quote:
Audio - Device - I have 44100 and 768. Should Request sample rate be checked?
If the sample rate and block size boxes are checked in Preferences > Audio > Device, Reaper tries to request/use these value.
Otherwise the values set in the control software of the audio device are used (audio interfaces with ASIO drivers usually have one - accessible, for instance, via the [ASIO Configuration] button in Preferences > Audio > Device).

General side notes:
  • The currently used settings of the audio device and recording format are displayed at the top right of the Reaper window (unless this option was turned off via the right-click menu)
  • Keep in mind that there's also a checkbox to request a specific Project sample rate in File > Project Settings
  • The recommended audio systems under Windows are primarily ASIO or WASAPI

Can you post a screenshot of your current settings in Preferences > Audio > Device?
And what's the model name of the Behringer interface?

Last edited by solger; 06-04-2021 at 03:46 PM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 06:05 PM   #17
The Adam Smasher

- I noticed tonight that the windows settings were 24bit 4800 and I changed that to 4100.
- I will look at domzy's glitch free guide tomorrow. When I get the nerve to come back to this. LOL
- Behringer UMC204HD

Screenshots attached.
There is a mis match in the drop down that won't let me choose 768 and 1024 is too much for my laptop.

In the meantime thank you to everyone who has chimed in on this. I'll keep working away at it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SS-1.jpg (56.1 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg SS-2.jpg (59.5 KB, 93 views)

Last edited by The Adam Smasher; 06-04-2021 at 06:11 PM.
Old 06-04-2021, 06:56 PM   #18
domzy

i guess your interface isn't capable of using a 768 sample buffer, you'll probably need to chose another value.
Might be best to select the buffer size in the behringer asio control panel, rather than ticking Reaper's "request block size" - just to avoid any potential confusion.
Old 06-05-2021, 11:11 PM   #19
ivansc

Back to basics, Mr. Smasher.
Try downloading and running resplendence.com`s latency checker & see what it comes up with.

Also, unless I missed it, you havent told us what cpu and memory you have in your laptop, both of which can have a bearing on this.
Using ASIO or WASAPI drivers, you should be able to get your ASIO buffer down to decent figures unless you either have an inadequate computer or issues with real-time audio MIDI recording.
I am not familiar with that Behringer interface, but you might want to see if they have any updated ASIO drivers, etc., available.

P.S. I just noticed you were changing the wrong buffer setting. Do what Domzy said, especially setting the block size back to where it comes as default. It`s all down to your ASIO settings.
Old 06-06-2021, 06:57 AM   #20
serr

A couple points:

If you're after doing live sound - live performance or a live stage where you need to hear immediate sound with no lag through the Reaper mixer - that's when you need to dial your latency down to achieve that. Block size is the latency control.

If you're not doing live sound, then you set the block size high for mixing performance headroom.

It doesn't sound like you're trying to make a live performance system...
You're already trying to set the block size high.
Is that correct?

Next:
512 or 1024 sample block size are good starting points for the "Set it high and forget it." scenario. Some interface drivers don't like anything above 512 samples. Others might let you go up to 2048 or 4096 samples. (Low latency settings for live sound are usually 128 samples or lower.)

You have multiple control panel options!
Reaper should be the fist choice. You can disable control from Reaper and use your OS audio control panel or some 3rd party proprietary app (if your interface has that requirement going on).

Try sample rate and block size control from Reaper 1st.
Tick the boxes to enable and enter the values.

If something fights with your OS or some 3rd party app, you can try to use one of those instead. Untick the boxes next to sample rate and/or block size in Reaper to disable Reaper control and allow other.

Finally:
If you aim to run multiple audio systems together - ie. your Reaper DAW session + OS and app audio - set everything to the same sample rate.

You'll notice that apps (including Reaper) will send a request to the connected audio system to set the sample rate. You can force Reaper to send a new request by selecting your connected interface from the dropdown device menu again (even though it already appears selected). Then click the 'apply' button when it ungrays after that.

When your audio system switches around "by itself", that's because some other audio using app sent a request with a different sample rate.

Hope that helps!
Old 06-06-2021, 11:31 AM   #21
domzy

Quote:
You have multiple control panel options!
Reaper should be the fist choice. You can disable control from Reaper and use your OS audio control panel or some 3rd party proprietary app (if your interface has that requirement going on).
maybe worth noting that you can type any number into the Reaper box, but it won't necessarily be a block size that is supported by your interface (as the OP noted when trying a 768 sample block size)

I think in this case it rounds up to the next viable value?

just wanted to point this out, as it can lead to confusion, so may be better to set your block size in your driver's control panel - at least then you definitely know what buffer size you are using?
Old 06-06-2021, 02:05 PM   #22
serr

Quote:
maybe worth noting that you can type any number into the Reaper box, but it won't necessarily be a block size that is supported by your interface (as the OP noted when trying a 768 sample block size)

I think in this case it rounds up to the next viable value?

just wanted to point this out, as it can lead to confusion, so may be better to set your block size in your driver's control panel - at least then you definitely know what buffer size you are using?
Reaper seems to let you enter what you please for both block size and sample rate. You're expected to know what you're doing it seems!

I'd keep it to values like 512, 1024, or 2048 for the "set it large" values.
If you're going for a live sound setup then start at 128 samples and go down by 32 or 64 sample increments as needed.
Old 06-10-2021, 07:34 AM   #23
The Adam Smasher

Ok I'm back to wrap up some loose ends.

For the past couple of days I've been emailing the Behringer helpdesk to work through this sample rate issue. They've responded with a bunch of ideas which was nice of them considering I've contacted Reaper in the past about stuff and they simply don't care.

"Check this box"
"Nope doesn't work"

"uncheck the box"
"Nope doesn't work"

"Do this, do that"
".......sigh.....Nope still doesn't work"

I've dug into Domzy's pdf link on glitches in the meantime.

To be honest I pushed away from my laptop on Tuesday night and I was fuckin burned out. After working with helpesks for weeks about assorted plugin issues and then running into this I'd just had enough. I've made very, very little progress for the past 6 months and it's been a bitch of a ride.

To be honest for now I've simply reached my limit which is a shame I've been involved in music my whole life. I'm just going to go back to my instruments. I have uninstalled Reaper and have no fuckin plans on coming back to it.

I did want to stop in and say Thanks to everyone for their input.

Nice community you have here.

Later
TAS!
Old 06-13-2021, 09:41 AM   #24
ivansc

So sorry to hear this.
I just wish we had managed to help you out better.

And of course as & when you DO decide to have another go, we will be glad to see you & offer our help[ once again.

Don`t lose your licence file!