Old 02-15-2018, 12:32 AM   #1
OPI
Human being with feelings

Default Dont give it away: new song of mine

https://soundcloud.com/lukeswansonmu...away-2/s-vZBsL

I recently picked up singing along in my productions. This is the first real try.

I would love some honest feedback. I dont wanna be the guy that mom says "your good" but people cringe when they hear me.
OPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:09 AM   #2
barrymk

Luke, very atmospheric track. The lead vocal in the verse reminds me a little of Steve Miller. Only minute nitpick is on the OOHs one or two tail off a bit out of pitch but that could be corrected easily. Other than that the vox are excellent and fit the arrangement really well.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:41 AM   #3
G-Sun

Some bold steps there in keeping it simple and leaving space

Main part gives focus to the instrumental aspect, as vocal is fairly low

2.03: Didn't expect that. Nice

Cool perc elements.

Very interesting. Keep it coming
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 03:46 AM   #4
OPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrymk View Post
Luke, very atmospheric track. The lead vocal in the verse reminds me a little of Steve Miller. Only minute nitpick is on the OOHs one or two tail off a bit out of pitch but that could be corrected easily. Other than that the vox are excellent and fit the arrangement really well.
Steve miller?! ill take that Thanks for listening barry
Old 02-17-2018, 03:47 AM   #5
OPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
Some bold steps there in keeping it simple and leaving space

Main part gives focus to the instrumental aspect, as vocal is fairly low

2.03: Didn't expect that. Nice

Cool perc elements.

Very interesting. Keep it coming
thansk G-sun. I will keep it coming then
Old 02-17-2018, 08:03 AM   #6
OPI

https://soundcloud.com/lukeswansonmu...away-4/s-UXyje

Final master
Old 02-17-2018, 04:53 PM   #7
krm27

Very nice. Reminds me of chill EDM, blues, deep loungy house, but overall unique.

If I were going to suggest any changes, it would be the following:

1. The vocal intro is rather long (30 seconds?) I, like many listeners, have a short attention span, and I skipped ahead. For me, it hooked me in after the 30 second mark, when the instrument elements were added. If you know your audience will be patient, it can work, but for me I'd shorten the vocal-only intro, start layering in the instruments sooner, or something like that. I guess if this is intended for DJ's in a lounge setting, to give them a long lead-in for beat-matching and all, maybe the current way is best, I don't know.

2. There were places where new elements came in or left the music and where, for me, it seemed abrupt and unpolished, places where it sort of reminded me of splicing samples together, where the end of the samples is just a bit jarring.

Now, to be fair, I cannot make anything this professional / polished, so I'd view my comments more as those of a music listener than a producer.

Ken
Old 02-19-2018, 11:48 PM   #8
smueske

This is very cool and original. Really like the different textures in the pieces, how every little segment does something unexpected and just right. At any point this could have fallen apart, but you took some really interesting chances.

I'm wonder if, at the section that begins at 1:45, you might consider using a filter to focus on mid-range and maybe a little reverb to compress everything to a kind of distant "heard in the valley" kind of sound. That way, when the gated section that comes next appears, it will really pop. Another thing that might be interesting is putting some kind of texture on your voice (like Izotope's vinyl -- something kind of crackling and old, at any rate).

Really enjoyed this piece. So glad I popped in here tonight to listen to a few tracks. Best of luck to you!
smueske is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:31 PM   #9
OPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by krm27 View Post
Very nice. Reminds me of chill EDM, blues, deep loungy house, but overall unique.

If I were going to suggest any changes, it would be the following:

1. The vocal intro is rather long (30 seconds?) I, like many listeners, have a short attention span, and I skipped ahead. For me, it hooked me in after the 30 second mark, when the instrument elements were added. If you know your audience will be patient, it can work, but for me I'd shorten the vocal-only intro, start layering in the instruments sooner, or something like that. I guess if this is intended for DJ's in a lounge setting, to give them a long lead-in for beat-matching and all, maybe the current way is best, I don't know.

2. There were places where new elements came in or left the music and where, for me, it seemed abrupt and unpolished, places where it sort of reminded me of splicing samples together, where the end of the samples is just a bit jarring.

Now, to be fair, I cannot make anything this professional / polished, so I'd view my comments more as those of a music listener than a producer.

Ken

I was thinking of shortening it but if dj's wanna play it, i can make an edit. I like the extended version better as i myself am a little more patient.

In regards to the sounds being a little too stacatto, i would agree, but unfotunately ive already glued I could auto splice them but still too much work.

I appreciate the feedback alot man, thanks for listening.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:33 PM   #10
OPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by smueske View Post
This is very cool and original. Really like the different textures in the pieces, how every little segment does something unexpected and just right. At any point this could have fallen apart, but you took some really interesting chances.

I'm wonder if, at the section that begins at 1:45, you might consider using a filter to focus on mid-range and maybe a little reverb to compress everything to a kind of distant "heard in the valley" kind of sound. That way, when the gated section that comes next appears, it will really pop. Another thing that might be interesting is putting some kind of texture on your voice (like Izotope's vinyl -- something kind of crackling and old, at any rate).

Really enjoyed this piece. So glad I popped in here tonight to listen to a few tracks. Best of luck to you!

I appreciate the feedback, its much needed.

Yeah, this track was a balance of "Jesus this is boring" and "Hey i could listen to this"

distortion on my vox has already been applied but there is always room for more
Old 02-20-2018, 01:34 PM   #11
OPI

https://soundcloud.com/lukeswansonmu...give-it-away-4

Download and share guys
Old 02-25-2018, 09:44 AM   #12
OPI

https://youtu.be/8vP2E4OXujg