Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 12-14-2016, 04:04 PM   #1
ab1vl
Human being with feelings

Default midi notes have attack thump in right channel

hey guys,

I'm new to midi editing and have 5.29 up. I'M trying to make a single bass track for play-along using piano roll. On playback I hear a thump at the beginning of each note using ReaSynth as VSTi. Also with NEO piano. I see partial vertical red streak in VU meter, starting at the bottom but fading about halfway up; just on the RH channel though. So I think it has something to do with some kind of distortion on just the RH channel. I can filter a lot out with the basic equalizer FX but it's still pretty annoying after a while. doesn't matter which computer or sound hardware I use, or whether I output to mono or stereo.

Any suggestions on what settings to tweak? I've watched most of Kenny's vids but haven't found anything that works. BTW, I could use a pointer to a good acoustic bass VSTi, pref a free one. Or just another mellow electric VSTi.

tnx, chuck
ab1vl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 02:51 AM   #2
DarkStar

Hello ab1vl and welcome to these forums. You'll find many helpful people here and a lot of useful information. Make sure that you:
get the excellent User Guide by Nicholas too: http://www.cockos.com/reaper/userguide.php,
check out Kenny Gioia's great video series: http://www.reaper.fm/videos.php,
and the Groove 3 video series: https://www.groove3.com/reaper-training-video-tutorials.

-------------------------
The red streak is just an indicator of the MID note velocity. It's on the right-hand side of the meter as that's where the devs put it. It is not the right-hand audio channel.

Any thump is created by the plug-in, not by the MIDI itself. For other synths try LinPLug's Free Alpha or u-he's Zebralette or Tyrell N-6.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:19 AM   #3
ab1vl

Default Midi Thump fixed

Tnx DarkStar!

TyrellN6V2WIN.dll fixed the thumping, though I did need to tweak some settings to remove it. N6V2 was created by a bassist and I was able to get 90% of the natural upright bass tone after about 30 minutes of trial and error with no RTFM.

I have also discovered F2 item properties seems to have the option to add a ramp to midi notes, but this had no effect. SHould it have worked, or is it just for non-MIDI audio items?
ab1vl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 07:18 AM   #4
DarkStar

Good oh

F2 item properties - I guess you mean the fades - they are for audio clips only.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:11 AM   #5
ab1vl

Default As promised: upright bass VSTi reviews

No doubt about it, the Ample Sound Ample Bass Upright II is the best I've found. But at $149 I decided to wait a bit to see if I really needed all those extra effects.

I went with a close second, Adam Monroe's Upright Bass for $15 US. With the RaelEQ VST to boost the highs I got something very usable when played through my Fender Rumble amp.

I also stumbled on some nice free saxophone VSTi: Martin Best's DVS sax and DSK saxophones, which has both a soprano and tenor sax. Both are quite good for jazz solos.

HTH, chuck