Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 01-06-2018, 02:29 AM   #1
savage_scotsman
Human being with feelings

Default Full death metal album to be remixed in reaper

Something I've been meaning to do for a long time is make a bandcamp page for my first band long since dissolved. We were a death metal band called Sons of Slaughter with a few demos and an album released by Retribute Records, but seeing as they folded eventually I thought it would be cool to put the stuff up for free downloads. Hope some of you enjoy it you have a chance to check it out.

I'm working at home on Reaper to have a vastly improved mix of this album ready to release in 2018. So technically not a new album but fingers crossed be out this year. Originally released in 2006 Sons of Slaughter was my first band, hopefully people will enjoy the remix and remaster a lot more with a big overhaul of the drum tracks, triggering fatter snare and tom samples, raising the overheads volume, bringing the double bass down a bit with less click, overhaul the too quiet vocals and a bit of tweaking on the guitars and give the bass some more grit. I have uploaded the original 2006 version to bandcamp for free downloads now but yep with any luck and some more work the remix will see the light of day in 2018!

Precision death/grind brutality built on blistering riffs, relentless vicious rhythms and inhuman vocals. Sons of Slaughter blend influences from old school death metal such as Suffocation and Morbid Angel and grind riffs inspired by Terrorizer and Napalm Death fused with the more contemporary speed and structure of bands like Dying Fetus and Cryptopsy.

https://sonsofslaughter.bandcamp.com
savage_scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:35 AM   #2
savage_scotsman

I’ve heard Steven slates program is good for triggering drum samples. Tried with the reaper gate but with some hits occasionally missing due to speed and low velocity hits sometimes. Has anyone had experience of Steven slate triggering . I’m using superior drummer also for the remix
Old 01-06-2018, 04:40 AM   #3
dug dog

There's a better Reaper solution than the Reagate method and it's velocity sensitive. So, a hard drum hit produces a higher velocity MIDI note.

However, with any drum replacement, there will be some tweaking of threshold levels to get every hit and nothing's completely automatic. If you have sections that are quiet compared to the rest of the track, it's best to process those sections separately so that you can use different threshold settings.

Slate Trigger is well regarded and many agree that it's "the best".

However, there's no getting around the fact that, after replacement samples have been generated, you have to go through the results manually to ensure that all hits are in phase with the original tracks.

One final option might be to upgrade to Superior Drummer 3 which has a pretty nice built in drum replacement feature.
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 04:46 AM   #4
dug dog

Here's the JS solution tweaked by "Dongle Hater".

The file is in the first post of this thread:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=188797
Old 01-06-2018, 04:50 AM   #5
savage_scotsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug dog View Post
Here's the JS solution tweaked by "Dongle Hater".

The file is in the first post of this thread:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=188797
Thanks very much for this link and the info. I’ll certainly try isolate certain sections like you say. I’ve had a go before and it’s heading in the right direction, some crazy drum fills can now be given justice instead of being ‘lost’
Old 01-06-2018, 04:58 AM   #6
dug dog

Finally! Justice for the lost drum fills!

Good luck.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:35 AM   #7
savage_scotsman

Thanks that’s the plan. I’m hoping to give the vocals a boost too but I can only do the best with what I’ve got, not the most consistent of vocal tracks but hopefully room for improvement. The funny thing is with the original mix we found the vocals and drums fighting over some of the same space so it was a difficult balance. With the new samples to resample the drum tracks I don’t think this will be a problem anymore
Old 01-09-2018, 05:39 AM   #8
dug dog

Cool. I think the project will be rewarding.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:03 PM   #9
savage_scotsman

If anyone wants to review this or give any feedback good or bad you’re welcome.
Same goes for the remix in 2018/2019
Old 01-20-2018, 10:51 AM   #10
dug dog

I found a couple other tools that might be easier to use or work better.

The first is another JSFX and it has a GUI that shows a visual representation of what hits you're selecting when you move the threshold control. If your drums are just a stereo mixdown at this point, you'll need to put a filter in front of this plug- low pass for kick, hi pass for cymbals, etc. I've only tried it on one kick track but the results were very good.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=182188

There's also a freeware called KT Drumtrigger that, in my limited testing, seems to work pretty well although it's a bit tough to look at. It has filters built into the GUI.