Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 01-18-2012, 01:36 AM   #1
kkalnasy
Human being with feelings

Default Multi output with Kontakt 5 AU

When I load the VSTi version of Kontakt, I have three options (8 out, 16 out, 64 out), but when I load the AUi version I have only one option and am unable to route to anything other than the main output. Kontakt's KB shows multiple versions of the AU plugin, just like the VSTi, but I don't have them and I read that AU plugins don't need this, that they're capable of routing to multiple outputs by default. If so, how do I get the AU to do this? Or do I have a less than complete installation of Kontakt? I've tried adding outputs via the plugin routing matrix, but Kontakt doesn't see the additional outputs. Do I have to go through the whole "add and rename channels, save as default, reload" routine to make this work?

This is not critical as I can always use the VSTi version, but I am curious.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:23 AM   #2
Morpion

Quote:
Do I have to go through the whole "add and rename channels, save as default, reload" routine to make this work?
You do, yes. There's a video here explaining the setup for anyone who's interested in setting it up with multi MIDI in/audio outs. It's the first tutorial video I ever watched when I moved to Reaper from Logic, and by copying the steps in Reaper as I watched, it really helped make the whole routing thing in Reaper (which was a bit alien to me after being so used to the Logic way of doing things) clear as crystal. It's still the best video I've found on the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkDXdrvYKlg
Morpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
kkalnasy

Thanks. I'm familiar with that video, which led me to success with the VSTi version of Kontakt. It's the AU version that I'm having trouble with. As you can see, I've got the internal mixer channels set up:

But you can also see the channels are all routed to 1/2 or to -/-. If I try to change it, I can't (see my screen cap, above).

When I use any of the VSTi plugins, which come in 8-, 16-, and 64-output versions, I can get Reaper to build the outputs:

But when I use the AU version, I get this:

I'm wondering if the AU version is truly capable of multiple outputs, and, if so, what I'm not doing correctly.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:51 AM   #4
Morpion

I see what you mean - I've not opened the AU version in ages since I have the VST version set up as a template. I can see what the problem is though: Kontakt is looking at the physical outputs available, rather than allowing you to create virtual outputs to feed into Reaper. I'll see if I can figure out how to set it up, but it isn't as straightforward as I thought! I've used the AU Kontakt in Logic as a multi-out instrument many times so it's definitely possible, unless it's specifically a Reaper issue.

EDIT: Just looked in the manual and it looks like I was right - Reaper isn't sending the virtual ports through to the AU version of Kontakt so it's just picking up the physical outputs available to it.

From the manual:
Quote:
Output Map: This list displays all audio channels of this Output Channel along with their assigned physical destinations – which can be either tangible output jacks on your audio interface or “virtual” connections to your host, depending on whether you're using KONTAKT in stand-alone or host mode.
Quote:
The maximum number of (mono) audio channels that you can assign in host mode is limited to 32 for the VST version of KONTAKT, and 16 for the AU and RTAS versions. The VST plug-in is special in that it comes in 3 different flavors with 8, 16 or 32 outputs. In AU and RTAS environments, the host will determine the actual number of outputs.

Last edited by Morpion; 01-26-2012 at 03:03 AM.
Morpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #5
tremblap

Hello

I am actually very interested to know how to load a real multi-out AU plugin. Neither Altiverb XL (quad and 5.1) or Kontakt seem to want to load their multiout version, despite the track on which I load them having 4, 6 or 8 outs... as if the plug instanciation was ignoring the actual number of outputs of the track...

I did not find anything on the website, or in the manual, to help me... but I reckon there is a way?
tremblap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:07 PM   #6
myfeltgood

Did anyone ever come up with a solution to this?
myfeltgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 03:47 AM   #7
Futur8me

Use VST.

Old 09-13-2022, 10:28 AM   #8
jimbobbley

Here 4 years later still looking for a solution to this - VST isn't M1 compatible for Kontakt 5, but AUi is.. but VST is multiple output and AUi isn't!
jimbobbley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 10:49 AM   #9
jimbobbley

Ha no way, just figured it out:

Add an 8 (or 16, or whatever) output instance of Kontakt VST to a new track

Build multichannel routing for selected plugin

Delete effect from FX chain

Replace with AUi instance

Hey presto, all routings still work! Ha. Total fluke
jimbobbley is offline   Reply With Quote