Old 02-07-2013, 08:38 AM   #1
tehsux0r
Human being with feelings

Default BCF2000 + Klinke: step by step

Thanks to KevinW for proofreading and suggestions.
Attached Images
File Type: png Installing KMCUD.png (20.6 KB, 9506 views)
File Type: png Configuring BCFView.png (3.0 KB, 9069 views)
File Type: png Adding the surface.png (13.8 KB, 9109 views)
File Type: jpg Labelled BCF2000 (MCSo).jpg (65.7 KB, 15584 views)

Last edited by tehsux0r; 02-07-2013 at 09:51 AM.
tehsux0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:38 AM   #2
tehsux0r

Default Introduction

Despite the excellent resources on these forums, I still spent over a day exercising my deductive reasoning skills (i.e. flailing around) trying to get a fully working BCF2000+REAPER setup in folder mode. I hope this article can get others up and running more quickly, and if you find anything unclear or incorrect, please PM me so I can revise it.

Last edited by tehsux0r; 02-07-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:40 AM   #3
tehsux0r

Default Basics

This is here for those of you who haven't yet bought a BCF2000 or, like me, didn't immediately understand the concepts and terminology.

Mackie Control Universal (MCU)
This has, for years, been one of the most popular control surfaces, featuring faders, knobs, buttons, and a small dot-matrix display overlying the per-track controls. Virtually all DAWs can use an MCU and talk to it using MIDI messages, which are are sent over either an actual pair of MIDI cables or one USB cable.
MCUs are not cheap, though, and take up a lot of desk space.

B-Control Fader BCF2000 (BCF)
In a savvy bit of marketing, Behringer released the cheaper and smaller BCF2000, also a MIDI device with USB, that features several built-in emulation modes that imitate subsets of the MCU's controls. One of the BCF's drawbacks (the lack of a display) is partly compensated by a display-emulator program Behringer developed called BCFView.

REAPER surface support and Klinke's MCU driver (KMCUD)
REAPER supports both the MCU and BCF2000 natively, but those drivers are fairly basic, so Klinke wrote a much more powerful MCU driver. This might not seem immediately useful to BCF owners, but in combination with the BCF's emulation modes, much of the power of a genuine MCU can be ours.

Last edited by tehsux0r; 02-07-2013 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:40 AM   #4
tehsux0r

Default How it works

1. REAPER talks to KMCUD as it would any control-surface driver, exchanging information about tracks, parameters, levels, pan settings, etc..
  2. KMCUD talks to the BCF via a MIDI interface; the plugin doesn't care whether the virtual device uses physical DIN connectors, MIDI-over-USB links, or something else entirely; all that matters is that it has one in and one out assigned to it, and that the device on the other end behaves like an MCU.
  3. The BCF2000, in one of its emulation modes, masquerades as an MCU by sending and accepting the same MIDI byte-strings a real MCU would. When the host tells it to display something on its screen via an MCU command, it bounces that information back to the host as a BCF-specific display message.
  4. BCFView runs as a stand-alone program and listens to the BCF, but doesn't talk to it, so it only needs a single incoming MIDI device. It intercepts the display messages bounced back from the BCF and emulates an MCU's display in a window on the host computer.

Last edited by tehsux0r; 02-07-2013 at 09:00 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:42 AM   #5
tehsux0r

Default My experience

I've installed this setup twice, first on Windows 7 64-bit, and later on Windows XP SP3, both running the same REAPER build (4.25). The second setup was easy once I'd conquered the first.

Behringer's USB-MIDI drivers have had problems in the past, so you might see some recommendations on the boards to use actual MIDI leads or avoid the custom drivers; as of this writing (January 2013) I've only ever used USB between the host and the BCF, and have never had any problems other than those caused by my own confusion, so I recommend that you thoroughly try the USB option before using DIN connectors. Since the BCF exposes its physical MIDI ports via its USB connection, doing this will also give you the option of connecting external instruments while using the surface.

Thanks to the advantages of 64-bit Windows, I find 64-bit REAPER unnecessary for even the largest projects, so although I keep it installed, I don't use it and haven't yet tested the 64-bit build of KMCUD.

Last edited by tehsux0r; 02-07-2013 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:43 AM   #6
tehsux0r

Default What you'll need

• The latest versions of Behringer's USB MIDI driver, BCFView application, and “B-CONTROL BCF2000 Emulation modes” manual, all from the “downloads” tab of Behringer's BCF2000 Web page:
    http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/bcf2000.aspx
    Note: you do NOT need the B-CONTROL EDIT application for this setup!
  • The latest version of KMCUD:
    https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=81818
    Note: There was no permanent URL at the time of writing (Klinke's tinyurl address leads only to a Dropbox item), so this link might be out of date – search the forums for a newer version to be sure.

Last edited by tehsux0r; 02-07-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:43 AM   #7
tehsux0r

Default Setup procedure

I'll assume that (a) you have a REAPER project ready for testing, containing a few named tracks with non-default volume/pan settings, and (b) you've already installed KMCUD by copying reaper_csurf_mcu_klinke.dll into the Plugins subfolder of your REAPER installation:

Steps
  1. Connect the BCF2000 to your computer with a standard A-to-B USB cable.
  2. Power on the BCF2000 while holding one of the buttons in the top row to select an emulation mode. When you see “EG” (edit-global mode) in the display, let go of the mode-selection button and press EXIT. The display should show the selected mode, which will be remembered by the unit until you next change it. Note: I use MCSo mode (shown as NCSo and triggered with the fourth button), but others prefer MC C (NC C) mode (second button). I prefer MCSo mainly because it displays the selected track number in the LED display.
  3. Install Behringer's USB MIDI driver to allow multiple applications to receive copies of messages from the same MIDI input device; this is what allows both REAPER and BCFView to listen to the unit at the same time. The driver will prompt you to restart the computer when it finishes installing – do this.
  4. Run BCFView and you should see a short, wide blue window with a black border. Drag it into a convenient position and right-click it to see its menu. Tick “always on top” so that other applications can't obscure it, and then select “BCF2000 port 1”. If any other characters show up in the name (e.g. “BCF2000? Port 1”, “BCF2000E port 1”, etc.), something is wrong – I don't know why this happens, but I suspect a bug in the Behringer USB-MIDI driver – and you should power-cycle the unit and restart BCFView; if that doesn't work, uninstall and reinstall the driver (with another restart). If you can't solve this problem, it can lead to KMCUD losing its association with the unit and having to be reconfigured.

5. Run REAPER and open your test project. Nothing surprising should happen.
  6. Go to Preferences... in the Options menu and select “Control Surfaces” in the tree-view on the left of the dialog that appears. Click the “Add” button, select the “Mackie Control Universal (Klinke)” mode, and pick “BCF2000 port 1” for both input and output. Enable “Use keyboard modifier” and “No level meter”. The former allows you to use the computer keyboard's left and right ALT keys to emulate, respectively, the MCU's ALT and OPTION buttons, and the latter displays track levels underneath their names all the time in BCFView, instead of only while a fader is moving. Click OK and you should see abbreviated track names appear in BCFView while being startled by the faders as they loudly position themselves.

Last edited by tehsux0r; 02-07-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #8
tehsux0r

Default Tips for use

• Make sure you power on the BCF at least 5 seconds before starting REAPER!
  • It doesn't matter which order you start REAPER and BCFView in, as long as BCFView is running before REAPER loads your project; if you forget this, you won't see anything in BCFView, but don't panic – just force KMCUD to refresh the display (e.g. by tapping right-ALT) and all should be well.
  • When reading the KMCUD manual, take care to look up the MCU control names in Behringer's “emulation modes” document. Note that (a) KMCUD's dialogs are activated via the surface, so you'll see no new options in REAPER's user interface, and (b) the “emulation modes” document isn't complete or consistent, so things might appear to be impossible that aren't once you figure out the correct combination. Example: GLOBAL VIEW doesn't appear to be in MCSo mode, but is there via that mode's SHIFT+EDIT combination (see Behringer's diagram for the button locations).
  • KevinW has made an overlay for the BCF2000 in the Cubase and Sonar emulation modes: see this post for a photo and download link. The different modes are shown on different tabs in the spreadsheet file.
  • For those using the MCSo emulation mode, here's a photo showing my BCF2000 with basic transport/bank/folder functions labelled. I've colour-coded each label according to which SHIFT button you need to hold (black means none):

Last edited by tehsux0r; 02-07-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:50 AM   #9
tehsux0r

Default Folder mode

For me, the major benefit of KMCUD so far (I've only scratched the surface [pun intended]) is folder mode, which allows you to navigate large REAPER projects sensibly as long as you've nested the tracks. To turn this on, make sure you're in “pan mode” (if in doubt, press the equivalent of the PAN/SURR button) and then hold the right ALT key on the computer keyboard while watching BCFView. You should see the display change to show three settings, which are controlled by pairs of knobs (i.e. to change the next setting, skip TWO knobs); the second setting is “Folder Mode”. This defaults to “flat” (in which slots are assigned to consecutively numbered tracks regardless of nesting), but by rotating the third or fourth knob while continuing to hold right-ALT, you can activate one of the folder modes, named “only children” or “incl. Parent”. In these modes, slots are initially assigned to the top-level tracks only, and you can navigate the folder tree thus:
  • Press a second-row select button to highlight a track in REAPER so you can see where you are; the BCF's slots are assigned to tracks at one level, skipping all descendants, so you'll be using this a fair bit.
  • You can still bank and shift as you can in “flat” mode, but only through sibling tracks (those at the same level with a common parent).
  • Hold a second-row select button to descend into a track and assign its immediate children to the BCF's slots. In “incl. parent” mode, the parent track will also appear as if it were the first child. You can still bank through siblings, and you can descend as far as the tree structure of your project allows.
  • Press GLOBAL VIEW to ascend one level (if you're using MCSo mode, see above or look for my “parent” label in the above photo).
Note: once folder mode is set, KMCUD remembers the setting forever for that surface item, so as long as you don't remove the surface item from REAPER, you might not need BCFView at all. In this case you have the option of removing the Behringer multi-client MIDI driver and returning to the native Windows one. If you do this, you might have to reconfigure KMCUD to point to the changed MIDI devices.

Last edited by tehsux0r; 02-07-2013 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:14 AM   #10
XITE-1/4LIVE

I have been waiting for someone to do EXACTLY what you just did here.
Thanks so much, this is exactly what should be read and the order of installation, etc. Exactamente....

Thank You.
XITE-1/4LIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:30 AM   #11
BenK-msx

not read all this, but i'll link to it in the bcf2000 uber collection thread. (See sig) - nice work!

Edit: done.

( added for searchers landing here randomly in 2016 ) there is a thread that collates links and info to the various bcf2000 info and setups posted by many users over time on this forum: here:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=33149

thanks again tehsux0r
rolls off the tongue that one..

Last edited by BenK-msx; 02-07-2013 at 11:47 AM.
BenK-msx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:37 AM   #12
adaragray

thank you very much tehsux0r !

i would be great if someone could write this kind of roundup vor the bcr2000
adaragray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #13
tehsux0r

Hi adaragray,

I suspect there's not much different in the setup process, although operating it would be quite different. Have you had any luck following the setup instructions with your BCR?

-- sux
Old 04-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #14
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaragray View Post

i would be great if someone could write this kind of roundup vor the bcr2000
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=60110

The basic setup procedure indeed doesn't differ much between the BCF and BCR, as said.
That thread is more about (my way of) operating it with Reaper.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #15
ziflingus

Default Track record monitoring

Hi tehsux0r,
Thanks for this guide, this has been more than useful.
I was wondering whether there is a way to enable selected track "record monitoring" on/off?
In the MCU, this is done by shift+REC button for the specified track.
In our case, shift has to be pressed to enable REC buttons.
Any solution for this?
Old 05-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #16
tehsux0r

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziflingus View Post
Hi tehsux0r,
Thanks for this guide, this has been more than useful.
I was wondering whether there is a way to enable selected track "record monitoring" on/off?
In the MCU, this is done by shift+REC button for the specified track.
In our case, shift has to be pressed to enable REC buttons.
Any solution for this?
Hi ziflingus,

That's great to hear. I'm afraid nothing comes to mind off the top of my head for monitoring except trying the other shift key at the same time, and seeing whether REAPER has a modifier key that enables monitoring when you click the record-arm button on the track (so you can use it with SHIFT+track on the BCF).

Hope that helps.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:22 AM   #17
musicbynumbers

Hi all the BCF2000 users. Been meaning to ask this for a while now.

Are any of you using either windows 7 or windows 8 and find that every few reboots the names of your BCF2000 usb/midi ins and outs have changed slightly and therefore you have to reassign them in both Reaper and he BCFview app?

I don't know if it's just because I have them in single midi mode in and out mode (usb mode) or if it's the driver as I've tried all the drivers on the behringer website too.

I'm thinking it might be one of the other usb midi devices attached that is causing this (got about 6 of them) but nothing obvious has stopped it happening.

Anyone else had this? thanks.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:01 AM   #18
tehsux0r

Yes, I had a problem where a mystery character would appear as a question mark following the first word of the device name, i.e. "BCF2000?"...

Having noticed the loss of assignment to his plugin, I talked to Klinke about this, but it was nothing to do with his code. In the end, the driver reinstallation I did in the process of writing my tutorial made this go away permanently. I suspect that the Behringer driver is sensitive to the minutae of the setup procedure.

I suggest you uninstall the Behringer driver completely and follow my tutorial to the letter. I hope that will solve the issue, but please let me know if it doesn't.

-- sux
Old 10-25-2013, 07:40 PM   #19
Andy_Milman

Default I can't get BCF2000 to send MIDI CC's

I've been trying to read everything I can find in this forum about the BCF2000, but there's something I don't understand about it. My problem is that, although I can make it control the volume, pan, solo, and mute in the track view, I can't get it to control parameters in the FX windows. And I can't control the shortcuts in the Action List. These are the two most important areas I want to use this control surface for.

I also have an Oxygen 25 keyboard connected to my computer as another control surface. I can program its keys to control a bunch of actions in the Action List and can use it's eight pots to control continuous variables in the FX windows, but the pots are ill placed for long use, and I've run out of buttons or keys for the on/off parameters.

I've read what Behringer has to say about this problem, and I've used their program BCFview to display MIDI messages from the BCF2000 (but it doesn't). Lastly, I have used MIDI-OX to read these MIDI messages (which it does).

Lastly, I've tried using the BCF2000 in the Mackie Control Unit (MCU) mode using Klink's version of reaper_csurf_MCU_x64.dll.

So, no matter what I've tried, I can't get the BCF2000 to send MIDI messages to the Action List to run shortcuts, and I can't see the messages with the Behringer viewer BCFview. I have looked at them with MIDI-OX, and they look right to me.

Does anyone know what I should do next? How do I make it launch shortcuts and control the FX windows?
Andy_Milman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:37 AM   #20
Andy_Milman

Default Message Continued

BTW, and FWIW, I'm running Windows 8.1 (I always adopt new O/S early) and using the 64-bit software. WADR, I can't help feeling that everyone else knows something that I don't. I'd like to know what it is.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:09 PM   #21
Andy_Milman

Default I found it

OK, I found it on the page
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=33149
that has a collection of BCF2000/Reaper threads. It's going to take me quite a while to read and digest it...but I'm retired and have plenty of time for it. OTOH, I really have to get past this and get on to doing some recording.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:24 PM   #22
BenK-msx

Hi, thread should help you.

If on windows, klinke setup I believe has an 'action mode' so you can assign twiddlies to actions. See related threads.

Otherwise, the bcf needs to acting as a midi input in reaper>prefs>midi and set as input to link to actions.

If set 'traditionally' I.e In Reaper >prefs>control surfaces, actions aren't available to the control surface. If that explains anything!

IMO I'd pursue the klinke mod route.

My unit is not in use anymore so only fuzzy memories to go on, but all the info is about, perhaps explaining the non deluge of responses, its not that folk won't help... Best o luck. Once setup you can forget about it for a while, worth the learning curve ;-)

Edit: Action mode and assignments etc covered in klinkes manual here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2029458/Reap...nke_manual.pdf

Last edited by BenK-msx; 10-26-2013 at 06:37 PM.
BenK-msx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #23
Andy_Milman

Default Got it to work! (Once)

Thanks for the advice.
I found the page
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...883#post323883
where CLeRIK explains how he set up the BCF2000 in the BCF mode. I discovered that if I followed his instructions, I could (and did) get the BCF to trigger actions from Actions --> Show Actions list. And it could get it to control the various FX parameters.

Just two problems now:
1) I re-initialized the BCF by starting it with the upper leftmost button pressed: All of my new capabilities have disappeared! I must have forgotten to save them! (??)
2) When the BCF2000 comes on, the store, learn, edit, and exit buttons are all lit. Also, I can't set the mode (U-1, U-2, etc.) or edit the controls.

Somehow, I hadn't realized how many threads are taken up with this subject or how confusing it can be. It may be that there are several ways of getting it to work, if you pick one and follow it precisely, but if you inadvertently mix two of them, nothing good comes of it.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:04 PM   #24
BenK-msx

Unfortunately clerik setup was not the best choice squire. :-(
There are a couple of warnings about that one being out of date, but not to worry.

moving forward, boil it down to two.
Either follow coerces guide which is a more recent development of the clerik one and won't act as weird (find it in thread in my SIG), ignore the fact it also explains setting up two devices, is a good guide.
Or pursue klinke mod with device in MCU mode and figure out the action mode part.

You seem close to getting it sorted, but resetting device probably rid it of the required tweaked 'presets' which would explain things going south.

These things and setting them always involve a bit of confusion, we were figuring these potential setups out blind, even more confusing... ! just be cool about it. Am sure if they brought these out new today it would setup instantly and be hassle free but that wouldn't be as educational... ;-) its a mid 2000's device plus reapers control surface support is perhaps its weakest area in terms of user friendliness.

Best o luck
Old 11-05-2013, 05:55 PM   #25
Andy_Milman

Default Sending the BCF2000 Back

I decided to send the BCF2000 back to Brazil. I'd wanted it to control FX variables, via adding controls to certain actions (in the Actions --> Action List). I couldn't get it to work reliably. It wouldn't work at all in the Mackie/Klinke mode: the "store", "edit", "learn", and "exit" buttons stayed lit and wouldn't do anything when pressed. The native BCF2000 mode was better, but, when I created assignments for the FX parameters, they wouldn't stay when I turned the unit off and back on (yes, I tried to store them, but apparently that didn't work).

It's possible that the unit was defective. When I first opened the box, it looked like someone had already opened it once and put it back. I looked carefully for signs of damage and didn't see any, though.

Which leaves me with two questions:

1) Sometimes with that control surface (CS), Reaper would see the MIDI message when I selected an action and pressed "add"; other times, it did not. What's the difference in the messages? I can't find any.

Also, there are references to different ports, but I don't see either in the CS literature or Reaper's, how you can specify different ports. Midi-ox seems to imply that "ports" means "channels". Is this right?

2) How important is it to have motorized faders (as the BCF2000 does)? I haven't done enough mixing with Reaper to know. AFAICS, the nanoKontrol2 will do almost all of what the BCF2000 can do, at a fraction of the price.

3) Is there a way to reset the BCF2000 to its original factory settings? The "panic reset" doesn't do this. With all of the screwing around I did, I might have changed something important that I don't know about.

BTW: Don't Run Reaper: I found by trial and error that, when programming the nanoKontrol2 with the Korg editor, I could only transfer settings between the Korg editor and the CS when Reaper is NOT running. It took me a while to figure out why that transfer usually didn't work. Also, I discovered that the nanoKontrol (1) is still being sold; I'll get mine tomorrow. I'll use one for track commands (v/p/s/m/r) and the other for FX.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration, and 2% attention to detail.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:22 AM   #26
ivansc

Good choice. I dumped the BCF2000 for a pair of Nanokontrol 1s years ago and have never regretted it.

Never could deal with the noise and the size of the bcf, although with klinkes setup it worked very well.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:41 AM   #27
Andy_Milman

Default I agree

I think you're right. Either the unit I had wasn't working properly, or there's something basic that I still don't understand. But I would still like to know why, when I'm adding an action, with some controllers it works every time, but with some others (like the BCF2000) the messages aren't detected.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #28
dktn

Default Two or more BCF2000 using Klinke

First I apologize joining this thread. I just don't know what is worse, doing this or creating another Klinke thread.

Does anybody successfully tried two or more BCF2000 using Klinke's plugin?

When I try to add second control surface (Klinke's) I am getting the following error message "CSurf_MCU_Klinke instance is already active (and only a single instance can be used)." There is no error message when I use built-in MCU surface, but I definitely prefer Klinke's.

I managed to work around this problem by cloning file to reaper_csurf_mcu_klinke2.dll (stupiest ideas work the best sometimes). I still get the error message, but second control surface is miraculously added to Reaper anyway and it even works!

I am not happy with this solution however, especially with annoying error message (reappearing after each Reaper start).
dktn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #29
musicbynumbers

I think the version of klinke's mod that will work with 2 is numbered something like 0.64 and any one after that will only work with one as he completely redid. He might add dual support at some point though but for now the earlier one is really good (see his main thread).

Out of interest. The current "hack" that you're using. How does that work with "banking" 16 channels at once? don't both BCF2000's have the same channel sets and are not synced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktn View Post
First I apologize joining this thread. I just don't know what is worse, doing this or creating another Klinke thread.

When I try to add second control surface (Klinke's) I am getting the following error message "CSurf_MCU_Klinke instance is already active (and only a single instance can be used)." There is no error message when I use built-in MCU surface, but I definitely prefer Klinke's.

I managed to work around this problem by cloning file to reaper_csurf_mcu_klinke2.dll (stupiest ideas work the best sometimes). I still get the error message, but second control surface is miraculously added to Reaper anyway and it even works!

I am not happy with this solution however, especially with annoying error message (reappearing after each Reaper start).
Old 12-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #30
dktn

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
I think the version of klinke's mod that will work with 2 is numbered something like 0.64 and any one after that will only work with one as he completely redid. He might add dual support at some point though but for now the earlier one is really good (see his main thread).
I've just tried ver. 0.64 and it works perfectly synced with two devices - thanks!!
It lacks features however: no right-alt menu, no folder mode, no values on BCFview until faders moved.

Quote:
Out of interest. The current "hack" that you're using. How does that work with "banking" 16 channels at once? don't both BCF2000's have the same channel sets and are not synced?
In this hack I have to switch bank on my second BCF manually to handle tracks 9-16. They are not synced in any way. But I can do it once after Reaper start and I am fine.

I'll try to play with both options for some time. Maybe I can live without folder mode in .64...

Cheers,
Adam
Old 12-03-2013, 05:33 AM   #31
Klinke

Quote:

This hack will cause a lot of problems for different features of the extensions, like using anchors etc.. Because one extension will always override the settings of the other (e.g. when the extension try to store the anchor settings in the Reaper project file). The good news is, I worked on this idea with a "clone" and produced a version, that should write its setting in seperate files and seperate parts of the Reaper project file. But both version are still working totally independent of each other, without any syncing.

You can download this improved hack from here: http://tinyurl.com/pefgshy

But please be aware, that this is quite untested version.

Btw: I still plan to work some day on a real extension support, but progress on the development is quite slow at the moment.
Klinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:09 AM   #32
musicbynumbers

Thanks Klinke for that info does this version allow for a bank offset as that might be enough for me to use it

Also with regards to development/time to get it working on dual mackies/bcfs.

Did we ever talk about us all putting some money together to help you with this? I know you would do it at the time for the price of an additional MCU. is that still the case?

I'd be willing to put 80 euros in myself if others will help towards the rest I think it's worth it and I know that's not a lot in programmer terms but maybe if we get together we can crowd fund you! ;')

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinke View Post
This hack will cause a lot of problems for different features of the extensions, like using anchors etc.. Because one extension will always override the settings of the other (e.g. when the extension try to store the anchor settings in the Reaper project file). The good news is, I worked on this idea with a "clone" and produced a version, that should write its setting in seperate files and seperate parts of the Reaper project file. But both version are still working totally independent of each other, without any syncing.

But please be aware, that this is quite untested version.

Btw: I still plan to work some day on a real extension support, but progress on the development is quite slow at the moment.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #33
dktn

Quote:
The good news is, I worked on this idea with a "clone" and produced a version, that should write its setting in seperate files and seperate parts of the Reaper project file. But both version are still working totally independent of each other, without any syncing.

Thanks a lot! It seems to work very well, not syncing is not a big deal for me right now.
Btw I'm thinking about getting 3rd BCF2000 soon, so the problem will reappear not having reaper_csurf_mcu_klinke_c.dll
Old 12-03-2013, 05:35 PM   #34
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Thanks a lot! It seems to work very well, not syncing is not a big deal for me right now.
Btw I'm thinking about getting 3rd BCF2000 soon, so the problem will reappear not having reaper_csurf_mcu_klinke_c.dll
lol

question. Even though they cant be shifted in banks of say 16 in sync. I guess you can still shift the 2nd bank by 8 right so that if you use reaper in such a way that you hide most channels in folders or use an action to just show the folder and it's children then I guess it works quite well still

I wouldn't even be too bothered if I could get the 2nd controller to always start 8 channels off
Old 12-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #35
Klinke

Quote:
Thanks Klinke for that info does this version allow for a bank offset as that might be enough for me to use it
Sorry, but there is no bank offset in this version (and this is not that easy to add as you described in the last post). But I still plan to work on a version with real support for extenders.

Quote:
Did we ever talk about us all putting some money together to help you with this? I know you would do it at the time for the price of an additional MCU. is that still the case?
Money is not the problem, I just have not enough time and work also on other projects. I have already an iPad with a Mackie Control Simulation App, that should help to work on this.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #36
Klinke

Quote:
Sorry, but I don't plan to extend this hack to a third extender.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:07 AM   #37
musicbynumbers

No worries Klinke! You've already gave us an insanely good thing already! I can wait a bit longer, no rush!

Quote:
Sorry, but there is no bank offset in this version (and this is not that easy to add as you described in the last post). But I still plan to work on a version with real support for extenders.

Money is not the problem, I just have not enough time and work also on other projects. I have already an iPad with a Mackie Control Simulation App, that should help to work on this.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:46 AM   #38
LugNut

Hi,

well here I am to muddy up the waters.^^

I think I have found a solution to a lot of cs problems. Bomes Midi Translator Pro.
For years...since 2007....I had tried to get my unsupported 8 fader box (hui protocol) to get deep with Reaper. I now am so happy!

After spending a lot of time setting my console up using BMT,I can tell u DEFINITLY that this setup would help u berringer guys. The solution is not free, but IMHO worth 3 times or more the expense.I have exactly what I wanted.

For ex. As far as the problems with action mode? I could be wrong here but it seems as the bcf doesn't have as many buttons as the MCU. Easy. assign 1 button on the bcf that when pressed and realesed turns ALL buttons into,say, the values neccasary to emulate the klinke/MCU action buttons. and then a second press puts u back to normal.

Bank select for second bcf? Setup a BMT translator that takes the one press of the first units bank switch button and sends a duplicate command on the required midi port to the second unit.

And its all just midi. I mean no python like programming. Mostly thinking of what u want, and then some cut,copy,paste.

Now I don't make a commission or anything lek that from bomes . Its just that it was a real lifesaver for me and it works flawlessly. It has NEVER crashed in two years of using it. Takes up little memory,highly optimized, low CPU use.

My latest bomes preset let's me set inputs and outputs for selected tracks. I would be more than happy to help anyone who wants to try it with their bcf bcr. I could give u a bomes project with all the MCU/klinke midi info already put in.

The best approach IMHO is to try and emulate all the buttons of an MCU instead of looking at what features u can emulate from klinkes ext. BUild an MCU, and they will come.^^

I have no exp doing videos for the web, but will post them asap. Frankenhui lives thx to klinke and bomes!

Guido

EDIT just took a look a picture of bcf...not many buttons to do the MCU. My first thought is some other midi device with buttons on it. Anything that will send midi...then the bcf and the 2 midi device could be made one in BMT. Or banking the buttons on the bcf...but could be hard to remember...hmmmm or for ex. hit one button on the bcf that when hit turns the function keys of the computer keyboard into MCU buttons an back.

Or..man am I obsessed...to those with two bcfs..mbn....take the two bcfs buttons to make 1 MCU,while still having 16 bankable faders. Now I gotta get back to making a btmp preset..still within the same btmp project..for my korgms2000... To control software synths and such. With a 15 fflat screen behind the korg...feels so good i cant stand myself!^^

Last edited by LugNut; 01-03-2014 at 10:48 AM. Reason: im obsessed^^
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:45 AM   #39
LugNut

Hi,

Just so u guys don't think I'm trying to sell u something^^...in case u dont know Klinke last update has a feature which allows u to use any other midi controller to emulate the MCU buttons,so .....u get the rest.

Guido
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:46 PM   #40
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugNut View Post
Hi,

Just so u guys don't think I'm trying to sell u something^^...in case u dont know Klinke last update has a feature which allows u to use any other midi controller to emulate the MCU buttons,so .....u get the rest.

Guido
cool!

So am I right in thinking that I could now make two .dlls (one for each of my BCF2000s) and then use a button on a different midi controller (or an action) to switch banks on both devices at once? (to get round them not being synced)

If so. Great work guys!