SubbaseDnB
Human being with feelings

now also Digital Performer have a session view like lives
SubbaseDnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 06:29 AM   #162
dalim.biswas

Default Ableton session view and Reaper inability

Reaper has done massive works in terms of mixing,workflow and script .Its a lightweight but according to this modern era Reaper falls behind in many section like no audio editing in different window ,No drum sequencer or pattern sequencer like FL even Bandlab has it .If developer do not develop according to modern needs they will lose advanced and professional user for sure they will see Reaper only as back up DAW.
Some suggested Project bay as session view but its cumbersome not useful much but can be done .Project bay inability to play audio clips simultaneously and sws script too failed in this regard.
Reaper main forte is having to do anyything in arrangement only but FL ,Ableton ,Cubase loopmash n its audio editor has seperate window.Reaper great features is its recording capabilities ,routing and midi editor too improved overtime.
But for modern genre Reaper hardly cares .This DAW only for classic user for mixing ,recording with simplicity and ease.
Script has done thing easier in Reaper because of open source development but script cant be professional matching with other daw.Disappointed a lot .
dalim.biswas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 02:34 AM   #163
aswath

Actually the session view can be implemented, from what i understand, then it would mean a complete revamp of the layout and overall programming of reaper which may also increae its footprint.

There is a work around ( although am no progrmammer). If Reasamplomatic 5000 can be reprogrammed to beat sync the audio clips in it, it can then be arranged as a clip player and using multiple clip players, this can be achieved although yes i do agree the workology may not be the same as the other programs.

Similar to RS5K if we have a container to place multiple midi files, then that too would help.

Using this method we can have a clip view and also an ease of use for reaper during live events.

If RS5k can have the functions like what ableton simpler or sampler does ( we need flexibility in start and stop points of samples, beat sync to project tempo, option to play as one shot or loop, or play as loop as long as key is on, Fade in and fade out, filter with filter envelope and a pitch envelope) then it can even help creating multisample instruments. I guess thats too much too ask, but this may be a simple way out...

Using multiple RS5k in each track we can have multiple clips playing and they can be triggered using midi notes or a midi controller. May not be as simple as in ableton with drag and drop but atleast its a workaround.
aswath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 09:27 PM   #164
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd24 View Post
Smooth lets you jump to markers at the end of the current bar.

Justin, could the beats be set. IE smooth setting 1/4 bar, 1/2 bar, bar....something like that?

Also, how about not on the beat/bar but rather at the end of the current region? for those of us how arent using bars and beats right now. (free form stuff)

This really will give you a quick way to try arrangments
Curiously I made this request few weeks ago! Almost everything there , since almost 15 years
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=245699
Old 01-02-2021, 01:30 AM   #165
gxray

Having this natively integrated would be incredible, but honestly I downloaded the Playtime demo and before the 30 minutes were up I was sold.

Best $26 I've ever spent, the difference it makes in workflow, experience/feeling and productivity is difficult to put into words.

Hopefully Reaper will get this one day, but at least it's hackable enough that you get stuff like Playtime.
gxray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 07:34 AM   #166
deeb

I was curiouse if and how go to next scene in 1 bar/1 beat is implemented (stuff I request in previous link) so I tried installing it , but the plugin is not recognised by reaper. Maybe osx Catalina only.
Old 01-05-2021, 06:38 AM   #167
wholehalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswath View Post
Actually the session view can be implemented, from what i understand, then it would mean a complete revamp of the layout and overall programming of reaper which may also increae its footprint.

There is a work around ( although am no progrmammer). If Reasamplomatic 5000 can be reprogrammed to beat sync the audio clips in it, it can then be arranged as a clip player and using multiple clip players, this can be achieved although yes i do agree the workology may not be the same as the other programs.

Similar to RS5K if we have a container to place multiple midi files, then that too would help.

Using this method we can have a clip view and also an ease of use for reaper during live events.

If RS5k can have the functions like what ableton simpler or sampler does ( we need flexibility in start and stop points of samples, beat sync to project tempo, option to play as one shot or loop, or play as loop as long as key is on, Fade in and fade out, filter with filter envelope and a pitch envelope) then it can even help creating multisample instruments. I guess thats too much too ask, but this may be a simple way out...

Using multiple RS5k in each track we can have multiple clips playing and they can be triggered using midi notes or a midi controller. May not be as simple as in ableton with drag and drop but atleast its a workaround.
Totally agree on all of the above points. I would also add a 'playhead' display on the waveform in the rs5k window, something like this: https://youtu.be/fZhRXSJncm0?t=36. And finally, enable "show embedded UI in MCP" for rs5k, where the embedded UI would be a playback progess bar, so you can see how far along your loop is (like the progress bar in the super8 looper) (and maybe a single button next to the progress bar for play/stop.) Then we could stack multiple rs5ks on a track and have visual feedback from the loops which are playing!
wholehalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:35 PM   #168
shmuelyosef

Logic has recently released "Live Loops" which is exactly Session View flipped on it's side...might be easier to adapt to Reaper as the layout is the same...
Old 08-15-2023, 11:37 PM   #169
hits_of_sunshine

Not yet any non-linearity?
Come on!
hits_of_sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 11:54 PM   #170
foxAsteria

Pretty sure Playtime 2 will fulfill all our wishes when it arrives...
Old 08-16-2023, 12:51 AM   #171
TonE

It arrived already in the form of clip engine, a headless playtime (2), as Helgoboss explained in his youtube video.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 05:07 AM   #172
hits_of_sunshine

I bought a hard-to-use, crash-prone Playtime v1 long ago, so I have absolutely no expectations for Playtime 2 or the author.

Playtime 2 GUI will probably be completed long after u-he releases Zebra3.

No official session view is as silly as no official piano roll.
hits_of_sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 05:45 AM   #173
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by hits_of_sunshine View Post
I bought a hard-to-use, crash-prone Playtime v1 long ago, so I have absolutely no expectations for Playtime 2 or the author.
The author created ReaLearn, which is known to be a great high quality tool.

Playtime 2 is based on the engine used in ReaLearn (and not on something that comes from Playtime 1), so I am positive that it will be great as well regarding versatility as quality.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 10:31 AM   #174
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
It arrived already in the form of clip engine, a headless playtime (2), as Helgoboss explained in his youtube video.
The ReaLearn 2 video? Yea I think it's still incomplete though. At least I can find no way to record clips or anything else for that matter. All the targets seem blank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hits_of_sunshine View Post
helgo's a straight up genius. I think he said he was new to coding then, but nowadays he's doing incredible stuff and Playtime 2 is being written from scratch.

OTOH, Reaper devs have stated long ago they have no interest in such a feature.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 08-16-2023 at 10:36 AM.
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote