Old 01-07-2012, 08:42 AM   #41
OldBassMan
Human being with feelings

HD24 anyone?
Old 01-18-2012, 01:41 AM   #42
Om_Audio

Default Please implement MIDI Clock sync

I would like this too. It is a long standing issue that many software vendors do not support MC sync (diff than MTC= midi time code) as it is very basic and "loose"
but the fact remains that there are many reasons you would want to sync the DAW to an external device that can only output MC. You could put a disclaimer or whatever but I have many sequences and such in various devices that would be so much simpler to transfer if i could simply get Reaper to sync to MC.
I don't know what the issues are behind the scenes but I can plug a bunch of old devices together and have them sync- why not Reaper too?
(I use Korg ES-1 with an Oberheim Echoplex digital, an Eventide TimeFactor, a Yamaha RS7000, etc and a midiman midisport 2x2)
Om_Audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:13 AM   #43
sqgl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkmusic View Post
I hope Reaper could be set as Midi Clock Slave.
+1
The problem with MTC is it does not send tempo/beats/bars info,
it only sends time (hh:mm:ss.ss or something like that) info.

Last edited by sqgl; 01-27-2012 at 06:23 AM.
sqgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:19 AM   #44
sqgl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweed View Post
I NEED one instane of REAPER as the master controlling the TEMPO (in sync) of a 2nd instance of REAPER as the slave. ALL on the same PC.

I've deduced, I believe, that this is not possible
This *is* possible and even the tempo is obeyed by the second instance *however* there is a bug when you try to loop. I made a video to demonstrate the bug http://youtu.be/W9UH3452q64
Old 02-24-2012, 05:06 AM   #45
korakios

Reaper and external gear is an epic fail....even when choosing Reaper as master ,notes are not well synced and looping is a joke...I tried inserting tempo changes as well LOL....will move on to a DAW which has real sequencing abilities...till then I'll watch this topic but no more Reaper for me.Goodbye!

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqgl View Post
+1
The problem with MTC is it does not send tempo/beats/bars info,
it only sends time (hh:mm:ss.ss or something like that) info.
You mean SMPTE...(EDIT2:you are right I though MTC is midi clock!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazed View Post
Is it not possible to convert mtc to smpte? Reaper does slave to smpte doesn't it?
There is Sekaiju midi recorder
http://openmidiproject.sourceforge.jp/Sekaiju_en.html
which can convert MTC to SMPTE but still Reaper must know the tempo for practical use...
But maybe an MTC to SMPTE "converter" can be useful in other ways so enjoy(freeware)!

Last edited by korakios; 03-05-2012 at 07:20 AM.
korakios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:18 AM   #46
Chvad SB

unfortunate but true. it's a real bummer.
Chvad SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:47 PM   #47
aviavi

Wow, I'm so surprised that Reaper cannot send sync in the proper (MIDI Clock) format to my Korg Electribe ES-1 drum machine. Please address this!
aviavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:03 PM   #48
sqgl

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviavi View Post
Wow, I'm so surprised that Reaper cannot send sync in the proper (MIDI Clock) format to my Korg Electribe ES-1 drum machine. Please address this!
I read in another thread that this will not happen in the near future. Apparently the way the code is written makes it difficult to add as an option. Yes, it is surprising this was not planned for at the very start of the Reaper project.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:07 PM   #49
Chvad SB

and why I keep giving money to Cakewalk. Breaks my heart... not even sarcastic. Reaper is SO CLOSE to being comprehensive.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:16 AM   #50
korakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviavi View Post
Reaper ,as said before, is able to sync other devices(as master).I have tried it to various gear and it's working.So something else goes wrong!
Old 04-12-2012, 04:39 AM   #51
TonE

Yes, why Reaper still can not be synced to midi clock as slave? Forget any audio material, some users just want to use everything in real-time, just load a few vsti plugins, some vst-efx, do your midi mapping to your external hardware midi controllers, that's it. Now Reaper should be able to follow an external midi clock as slave! Is this soo difficult?
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:58 PM   #52
maestrophillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by korakios View Post
Reaper ,as said before, is able to sync other devices(as master).I have tried it to various gear and it's working.So something else goes wrong!
Hi Korakios,

Will you kindly share with us a step by step summary of how you are able to get this feature to work correctly since you have success in this area? Most of us reading this thread have not had such success and could benefit from your expertise.

Thank you in advance.
maestrophillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:42 AM   #53
korakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestrophillips View Post
Hi Korakios,

Will you kindly share with us a step by step summary of how you are able to get this feature to work correctly since you have success in this area? Most of us reading this thread have not had such success and could benefit from your expertise.

Thank you in advance.
Hi,maestrophillips
I simply select the midi out on the midi devices on Reaper's preferences tab,enable it and tick on the "send clock/SPP to output".
Old 12-03-2012, 01:22 PM   #54
signoc

i guess no reaper as slave yet..
signoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:40 PM   #55
TonE

Actually this is already possible. Only the slave checkbox is a bit buggy, sometimes or better often you need to deselect and reselect it that it reacts to incoming midi clock, use spp setting.

Last edited by TonE; 12-04-2012 at 02:32 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:33 PM   #56
signoc

I will give it another go, Reaper got stuck notes in some sort of "microloop" when I tried it without enabling any kind of sync.. If I enabled sync Reaper wouldn't start at all, so I had to play with another daw where it worked :/
Midi start/stop/continue messages and midi clock where the info that was being sent.
signoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:57 PM   #57
tweed

figure i may have read every midi reaper as slave and related post
in the entire forum.

My objective is to have two instances of REAPER on same PC sync,
including tempo and start point sync.

no joy yet.
yet, getting into the scripting REAPER offers seems
like it might be promising. dunno yet.

no complaints however. :-)
tweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:31 AM   #58
TonE

Also set the initial bpm of Reaper to a value same of the midi clock source. I can only tell it works here. My midi clock source is a software with the name MidiClock, check it out, very cool.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:40 AM   #59
tweed

Thanks TonE! great stuff. I for one will be checking it out.

Hey, it was way, way too long afterward that I found your kind PM reply
to my askings about autohotkey. Been so swamped, though later this month looking good for getting into REAPER scripting and autohotkey with midi translator.

gotta bunch of thing I need to get clear on before I start asking anyone
any questions. hehesheesh. yeah, I'll be efficient after I get back to where I almost was last freaking year!

ok, so thanks again. rock on.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:13 AM   #60
Banned

Quote:
figure i may have read every midi reaper as slave and related post
in the entire forum.

My objective is to have two instances of REAPER on same PC sync,
including tempo and start point sync. […]
Maybe sending tempo and transport commands to both instances via OSC would work.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:19 AM   #61
TonE

I do not know why tweed wants to run two Reaper instances in parallel, maybe each Reaper acting as a "vinyl deck", who knows? Well, anyway, I would try MidiClock software, this was the best midi clock experience I found in a computer, as a midi clock source. If you know better ones, do not forget to write them here. Thanks in advance.

You can find MidiClock here: http://midiclock.com
Old 12-06-2012, 09:12 AM   #62
Sigilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Actually this is already possible. Only the slave checkbox is a bit buggy, sometimes or better often you need to deselect and reselect it that it reacts to incoming midi clock, use spp setting.
For a recent ongoing project, I need Reaper to slave to incoming MTC. It works just fine, except that I can't ensure the state of the sync toggle via actions. There's only a toggle action, no definite "no matter state, set to on" and "no matter state, set to off" actions - so I've added a FR for this.

The time source for this project is an external generator outputting SMPTE to one device and MTC to an audio interface card in the PC running Reaper. The output of audio from Reaper is actually handled by a separate pair of cards entirely, and surprisingly there are no issues.

Being new to the MTC scene, I'm not sure how to help with what tweed is asking but it seems theoretically possible.
Sigilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:17 AM   #63
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigilus View Post
For a recent ongoing project, I need Reaper to slave to incoming MTC. It works just fine, except that I can't ensure the state of the sync toggle via actions. There's only a toggle action, no definite "no matter state, set to on" and "no matter state, set to off" actions - so I've added a FR for this.

The time source for this project is an external generator outputting SMPTE to one device and MTC to an audio interface card in the PC running Reaper. The output of audio from Reaper is actually handled by a separate pair of cards entirely, and surprisingly there are no issues.

Being new to the MTC scene, I'm not sure how to help with what tweed is asking but it seems theoretically possible.
Again, beware confusion: MTC (MIDI Time Code) is NOT the same as MIDI Clock.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:23 AM   #64
TonE

Quote:
It works just fine, except that I can't ensure the state of the sync toggle via actions.

There's only a toggle action, no definite "no matter state, set to on" and "no matter state, set to off" actions ...
For what you need this? Why is a simple toggling not enough, what and where is the problem? I am always curious, about such detail stories, especially if its kept hidden in the darkness.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:04 AM   #65
Sigilus

Toggle isn't enough because the application won't have absolute certainty as to the state of sync. I need it to always know for sure, that with an action I can set it on or off without needing to know what the current state is. MIDI Clock is something else I guess, not applicable to my use. Sync of midi messages between devices?
Old 12-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #66
Banned

Quote:
MIDI Clock is something else I guess, not applicable to my use. Sync of midi messages between devices?
No; for syncing *tempo* between devices and/or applications rather than syncing time.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:17 PM   #67
Sigilus

Ah, I see. thanks.

My application isn't a secret, just didn't want to pollute the thread with info. I have an external time code source (hardware) and an external controller application (software) that I want to use to control Reaper for this project. One part of that is turning the time code slave on or off, and I need to be able to pick one or the other without looking and without knowing the current state. Reason - sometimes you want to follow TC, and sometimes you don't.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #68
TonE

Quote:
Reason - sometimes you want to follow TC, and sometimes you don't.
Does a human have to know this or a "stupid" machine? If human, e.g. you, why can't you just use toggle then? A human will know for sure in which state you are playing currently, or not?

As a side comment: If you have MTC and it works for you, I would keep that of course, usually this should be really much more precise than midi clock. I am not sure if you can use MTC and midi clock, both at the same time, I suppose not.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:29 PM   #69
TonE

Quote:
... and I need to be able to pick one or the other without looking and without knowing the current state.
Currently, what is the amount of work you have to do, to find the current mtc sync state? I am curious. It seems this is much work for you? I never used MTC myself, so can not imagine its working style.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #70
Banned

Quote:
Does a human have to know this or a "stupid" machine? If human, e.g. you, why can't you just use toggle then? A human will know for sure in which state you are playing currently, or not?
No, a human will not always be able to notice whether or not clocks are synchronised, unless stopping the synchronisation also stops the synced clock. They may be running in perfect sync without any sync signal.

Why are you giving Sigelius such a hard time on this issue? His FR makes perfect sense to me anyway.
Quote:
As a side comment: If you have MTC and it works for you, I would keep that of course, usually this should be really much more precise than midi clock.
MIDI Clock can be used for tempo changes - even for making tightly synced grooves on 'straight quantized' sequencers (e.g. a TB-303) by quickly alternating between different tempi. MTC is quite useless in that respect.

So my general advice would be exactly the other way around: when you are making music, you typically want to have control over tempo (i.e. BPM) rather than absolute time. For your arpeggiators, tempo-based effects, sequencers, etc., use MIDI Clock.

When you are done making music and just need to sync playback to something like video, then you switch to some time synchronisation protocol (like MTC).
Quote:
I am not sure if you can use MTC and midi clock, both at the same time, I suppose not.
Of course it does not make much sense to use both protocols simultaneously for syncing a single 'slave'. But nothing is stopping REAPER from sending both at the same time, or syncing to one while sending both. For some cases such combinations can be very useful.

Last edited by Banned; 12-06-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:02 PM   #71
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
Why are you giving Sigelius such a hard time on this issue? His FR makes perfect sense to me anyway.
Sorry, if my posts were understood like this, this was not my intention. I just wanted to understand the issue also, I am not very intelligent, so asking is my way. But giving no answer is also ok.

Regarding, recognizing sync on or off, I thought if sync slave is ON, Reaper always waits for the master also to play. From this behaviour you could "back-calculate" is sync is on or off, at least with midi clock it works like this, I am almost sure with MTC it should be just the same.

Detection algorithm might be:
Hit SPACE in Reaper, if it plays, without your external sync master playing that would mean sync is off, so you need to toggle once to switch on sync again.

My question was kind of trying to understand why this above algorithm is not enough of comfort? I am not a film composer so do not really know their exact daily turbo-workflow-demands. Some comments on that would be just great here, but you can keep this info elsewhere, and just write your FR also, no problem. Some experts will understand you, but not everybody, at least not me. Peace.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:56 AM   #72
Windle

Default Slave tempo request

Adding my voice to the list.

I wanted to use Reaper as a fancy VST host and sync to Cubase on a separate PC but it seems that Reaper won't follow tempo instructions from Cubase which is a shame.

It is possible to set the same bpm manually in Reaper but if a project deviates in tempo then it won't follow which seems like a missed opportunity.

W.
Windle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:19 PM   #73
deltaroy

Quote:
I NEED one instance of REAPER as the master controlling the TEMPO (in sync) of a 2nd instance of REAPER as the slave. ALL on the same PC.

I've deduced, I believe, that this is not possible at this time and that there may be reason for it to never be possible logically. I though that SPP (song position pointer) included tempo info. guess not.

Currently i have a slave instance of REAPER getting start stop loop from a MASTER instance of REAPER. though no following of the tempo of the master.

you may wanna vote here:
http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=3420

look for: Would you use this feature?
right below the post text and click to vote.
I also want this , but I'd be happy to just get the start,stop and loop.
Please explain how ? I cannot use ReWire or ReRoute as I need separate ASIO drivers in each Reaper instance
deltaroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:44 PM   #74
bergweg

+1 for Reaper as midi slave option
bergweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:19 AM   #75
ivansc

FWIW department:

Haven't needed to use any sort of MIDI synch for a while but in my MIDI sequencer of choice:
Although MMC MTC and SMPTE are all well implemented, I STILL had problems with a lot of hardware and software insisting on only working as either master or slave. This is not just reaper specific.

Just saying, is all.....
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:22 AM   #76
tweed

Thanks everyone!

ISSUE: syncing fine (same tempos) though can go from tight-enough to way off when stopped then restarted.

PLUS hello to: danfuerth and deltaroy: are all 3 of us doing two instances sync? any midiclock tight sync joy?

FOLLOWUP: TWO instances of REAPER on same PC:

I believe tempo following is a problem as audio would need to speed up as well. When doing sync I need to manually make the slave instance of REAPER the same tempo of lots of jerkies and audio glitching. Same temo and it syncs.

might be able to get around that with some action or python magic to deduce same tempo in slave automatically. dunno.

HOWEVER the biggie problem IS:

NOTE: I leave both instances metronomes ON so I can hear the flaming and out of sync-ness.

whether I use LoopMIDI or bome miditranslator to do the virtual sync sending from master and syncing the slave instance, I cannot, absolutely cannot get a reliable sync. changing offsets in slave or master, altering the external (slave) timecode sync options, freewheel etc. etc.

No GO. Always out of sync a lot. sometimes in sync sometimes out.

would LOVE to hear that ANYONE has reliable sync with two instances of reaper on same PC using virtual midi drivers. (tried hardware interfaces and it's worse)

Have tried dozens of ways and double checked tons as well.

REALLY hoping this is a bug or me doing user error, or there's some magic fix.
I know I need to have the tempo of the slave the same as the master.
Perhaps I should try MTC and go back and forth tho, naw.

I Do need to be able to start up anywhere in the master instance and ideally loop as well.
So, midi timecode i figure much more logical.

I know midi timecode ain't perfect though the often in, yet, often out should be that way, right?

it should be close enough all the time after perhaps setting the correct offset.

ANYONE got a system that syncs the SAME all the time?

deltaroy??? danfuerth??? yours does?

Last edited by tweed; 01-26-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:40 AM   #77
Chvad SB

I'd look to another program if you want good synchronization. It's fairly evident through lack of any developer response on this issue and other similar threads that they don't really care about this particular problem. I've gone back to Sonar for everything.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:50 AM   #78
tweed

yeah, I've read your posts on the subject in various threads and understand.
effort appreciated though.

thing is, I find, it's usually the user or some other anomaly/combination.

in this instance perhaps not ... quite.

While I love a little something about every other sequence my requirements will always put REAPER about 1,000,000 anythings above all others. funny that.

also, I'm syncing TWO REAPER instances. you're doing external hardware if memory serves. apologies if I'm in error.

best wishes to all.

\o\ woohoo, latest awesome beta. check the midi rads!
//

Last edited by tweed; 01-26-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #79
Banned

Bump for MIDI love.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:18 AM   #80
Kebab

Another bump here.

Transferring a lot of material from old hardware at the moment which is kind of fiddly since Reaper doesn't sync and there are tempo changes everywhere. Right now I'm doing it by ear and sort it out afterwards, 16 bars at the time. MIDI clock synchronization would indeed be a big help!

I'm also constructing a setup based on a bunch of CV/gates, analogue synths and soft synths, with a TR-707 as the main clock source, but at this moment that idea is completely impossible to realise.

I have an old version of Logic which syncs perfectly, but I want to use Reaper. That's why I bought it in the first place
Kebab is offline   Reply With Quote