COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 07-14-2005, 10:44 AM   #1
mnology
Human being with feelings

Default ninjam server OpenBSD testing

I'd like to put a ninjam server on my OpenBSD machine. There doesn't appear to be an OpenBSD build of the server. Seeing as there is a FreeBSD build, could I get an OpenBSD 3.7 build of the ninjam server. Or, what I'd prefer is to build this from source on my machine and let you know how it goes on OpenBSD.

I'm not really certain how open the ninjam project is. But I'm really excited about this project and would like to help as much as I can.
mnology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 01:40 PM   #2
cryptomail

Default not open source

Disclaimer:
These are *my* thoughts, and NOT the thoughts of the creators, or owners of the source:

1) The server, nor client, are open source.

2) OpenBSD is awesome!
While I love OpenBSD just as much as you, it's all about audience, targets, and support.

Supporting the plethora unices may not be a priority, and to reiterate, while myself and you are gaga over OpenBSD, we're in a fringe society , and that dictates the level of support we get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnology
I'd like to put a ninjam server on my OpenBSD machine. There doesn't appear to be an OpenBSD build of the server. Seeing as there is a FreeBSD build, could I get an OpenBSD 3.7 build of the ninjam server. Or, what I'd prefer is to build this from source on my machine and let you know how it goes on OpenBSD.

I'm not really certain how open the ninjam project is. But I'm really excited about this project and would like to help as much as I can.
cryptomail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 10:31 AM   #3
tom

Default not a bad plan, tho.

i'll get a vmware host running with openbsd and compile it for ya. i've been meaning to get it going anyhow. hope intel is ok. hope vmware supports it.

-t
tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 10:40 AM   #4
tom

Apparently openbsd has freebsd binary emulation. This would probably work fine as opposed to me spending a day getting openbsd humming.

man compat_freebsd

-t
tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 12:25 AM   #5
mnology

Following man compat_freebsd I've enabled emulation in the kernel and done sysctl kern.emul.freebsd=1 and added that to /etc/sysctl.conf. The freebsd libs included with ports are the FreeBSD4 libs, so that's the binary I'm trying to run. Previously without enabling emulation I was getting "Abort trap" now I'm getting:

/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.3: Undefined symbol "__ti9exception"

When trying to run the binary. Have you tried this yet cryptomail?
Old 07-16-2005, 12:29 AM   #6
mnology

OpenBSD also has Linux binary support. I'll give that a shot as well.

No luck with Linux compatability, needs libgcc which isn't included with OpenBSD's redhat base. Tried installing libgcc and it was quickly unravelling in to dependancy spaghetti. Oh 'vell. The Windows server works fine

Last edited by mnology; 07-16-2005 at 01:24 AM.
Old 07-16-2005, 08:18 AM   #7
cryptomail

Default nah, haven't tried :)

No, admittedly, I haven't tried
Another possible solution is for you to get another machine (loaded with native FreeBSD OS) and just tunnel heh.
Just employ OpenBSD's PF to do some transparent TCP/IP redirection to another machine.
Sure, that's a different approach, but it still keeps OpenBSD "in front", if that is your concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnology
Following man compat_freebsd I've enabled emulation in the kernel and done sysctl kern.emul.freebsd=1 and added that to /etc/sysctl.conf. The freebsd libs included with ports are the FreeBSD4 libs, so that's the binary I'm trying to run. Previously without enabling emulation I was getting "Abort trap" now I'm getting:

/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.3: Undefined symbol "__ti9exception"

When trying to run the binary. Have you tried this yet cryptomail?
cryptomail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 09:58 AM   #8
mnology

Besides having pf "in front" it would just be nice to distribute the processing around a bit. I'm probably better off though just having the client and the server on my XP machine. The OpenBSD machine isn't really all that powerful. pf redirect works fine, had some friends on my machine yesterday jamming