Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Live Use

Old 02-25-2023, 10:59 AM   #1
Gil Navarro
Human being with feelings

Default A couple of Super 8 Looper questions (for live use)

I'm thinking about investing some time into learning the super 8 looper. Right now I have one single guitar loop pedal. I'd like the ability to loop several different things live, like guitar, drums (electric with just a couple of pedals), bass, maybe vocal harmony. I've never done anything with midi so this will be a learning curve. Probably not too steep though. Some questions I have:

1. Can I use a generic midi pedal with multiple push buttons and map them for start and stop? Like a 10 bank unit for example and have them start and stop 5 slots. Also can I map a double click to clear the loops? Or is there even a way to clear the loop quickly with one switch? Maybe a master switch to clear all of the loops at once?

2. Can anyone recommend a little foot controller that can act as a kick drum hit. not looking for the sounds, just a midi controller footswitch. I can google this but I'm hoping for experience. I work with an artist that uses a couple of small controllers from a video game (rock band or something similar). He runs them through a drum brain and they sound great. I want to use two or three. Kick, snare, maybe a cymbal bell.

I know there are some great multi channel looping pedal options out there but there is some functionality that I would like that they (as far as I've seen) don't have. Like I want the ability to separate the loops on different outputs so I can send the sound person everything separately if I want so they can mix them at FOH

I'll probably have a bunch more questions but I first want to see if this is worth spending time figuring out. If yes, then I'll put in the time and figure out as much as I can on my own and just ask questions as they come up.
Thanks
Gil Navarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 10:02 AM   #2
dub tree

I use a FCB-1010 to control Super8 currently, in a 4x stereo setup (as opposed to 8x mono)

Of the 10 foot switches:

4 are mapped to the record button of each cell pair.
4 are mapped to the playback button of each cell pair.
1 is mapped to play/stop all.
1 is mapped to "kill" (i.e. clear all cells)

(I don't use the "selection" workflow)
(I also have the additional controls mapped to my Launchpad X, such as "reverse" or "double" or "add to project")

One main problem for using a generic footswitch (e.g. sustain pedal or one of the pedals on the FCB1010) as a kick drum is velocity; unless you have some kind of humanization/randomization on the software end, your triggered sound will always play at the same velocity for every hit. That said, you could use any old foot pedal, like a sustain pedal plugged into a MIDI keyboard, and just convert the CC message (sustain is CC64 by default) to a Note-On message, which I'm pretty sure you can do with an included JSFX in reaper.
dub tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 01:02 PM   #3
Dave 2099

I second what dub tree said about using the FCB1010 with Super8. And any other multi-button controller will probably work. Just have to figure out the quirks with mapping to Super8.

dub tree also mentioned about getting velocity with a kick pedal. You could pay a lot of money for a kick pedal that outputs midi, and I've spent time looking at midi options and have not been satisfied. The system I've gone to since then is to use e-drum drum triggers (think tom heads) and using them with the audio-to-midi plugin (I forget if it's JS, Cockos, etc.). And I use the resulting midi signal to trigger samples by playing the tom heads with hands or sticks. I find using this analogue workaround much more satisfying than the direct-to-midi devices I've used. You can find a cheap kick trigger for an edrum and use it to trigger samples, and make it velocity sensitive.
Dave 2099 is offline   Reply With Quote