Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 02-22-2023, 10:23 AM   #41
sockmonkey72
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
It's the established normal behaviour only because with old take comping there was no way to view the hidden stuff without having to move the split boundaries.
Yeah, it's the established normal behavior for _recording_ in general, not for comping specifically. So you are requesting special-case behavior for time-selection autopunch in the fixed-laned comping context. Which my highly subjective gut says isn't worth the conceptual overload, simply based on the number of hyphens I needed to use to express the idea. But I hear what you're saying!
Old 02-22-2023, 10:31 AM   #42
AZpercussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmonkey72 View Post
Which my highly subjective gut says isn't worth the conceptual overload, simply based on the number of hyphens I needed to use to express the idea. But I hear what you're saying!
It is worth. To release the fixed lane concept the right way.
As the comping from untouched sources is the basis of the conception.
AZpercussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 10:33 AM   #43
ferropop

Look at how hard this was with old takes :

Constantly fighting with the splits, and this is a relatively simple case!

Look what needed to happen, just to see the stuff behind the punch. You have to move the item bounds, then ouch you hit the other split! So move that split, then move the other split, oh man there's still more -- I guess now extend the item edge, then move both those splits, etc. You've ruined your comp, just to see what's in there!

New lanes are gorgeous - you just see everything right there! Nothing needs to be hidden - so let's take advantage of that !
ferropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 10:35 AM   #44
schwa
Administrator

When you are recording new material into a fixed lane track, there are 2 or 3 different reasonable expectations.

A. If you are dropping in material to potentially replace existing material, then you would want to hear the new material where it exists and the existing material elsewhere.

B. If you are recording in layers, then you would want to hear the old material and the new material at the same time.

C. If you are recording a whole new pass as an alternative to what you have already recorded, then you would want to hear only the new material. This is sort of a special case of the drop-in scenario.

If you already have a comping lane active, there's almost no question that you want outcome A, which is what currently happens, so that's fine. The other outcomes are going to require some set of preferences and a lot of thought about the best set of defaults.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 10:39 AM   #45
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
When you are recording new material into a fixed lane track, there are 2 or 3 different reasonable expectations.

A. If you are dropping in material to potentially replace existing material, then you would want to hear the new material where it exists and the existing material elsewhere.

B. If you are recording in layers, then you would want to hear the old material and the new material at the same time.

C. If you are recording a whole new pass as an alternative to what you have already recorded, then you would want to hear only the new material. This is sort of a special case of the drop-in scenario.

If you already have a comping lane active, there's almost no question that you want outcome A, which is what currently happens, so that's fine. The other outcomes are going to require some set of preferences and a lot of thought about the best set of defaults.
Hey schwa, this is indeed what happens - but only when in Comp Mode (as I illustrate in my first GIF). If not in comp mode (but a comp exists!) the new pass solos its lane upon completion, which is surely not desirable.
Old 02-22-2023, 10:41 AM   #46
AZpercussion

Also I think the same behavior as with recording in the time selection should be with recording in selected item.
Because it's just a way to set boundaries of promoting new material.
Sometimes it's suitable TS, sometimes selected item.
Old 02-22-2023, 10:41 AM   #47
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmonkey72 View Post
Yeah, it's the established normal behavior for _recording_ in general, not for comping specifically. So you are requesting special-case behavior for time-selection autopunch in the fixed-laned comping context. Which my highly subjective gut says isn't worth the conceptual overload, simply based on the number of hyphens I needed to use to express the idea. But I hear what you're saying!
I think the solution for this scenario is going to end up as an option (or a set of existing conditions that are equivalent to an option) that automatically promotes new recording, within the time selection if the new recording intersects the time selection. And not using time selection auto-punch at all or changing the way it behaves.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 10:47 AM   #48
sockmonkey72

Quote:
I think the solution for this scenario is going to end up as an option (or a set of existing conditions that are equivalent to an option) that automatically promotes new recording, within the time selection if the new recording intersects the time selection. And not using time selection auto-punch at all or changing the way it behaves.
Sounds perfect to me! Thank you.
Old 02-22-2023, 10:51 AM   #49
AZpercussion

Quote:
For the C case you can just unsolo the comp lane.
If it will required at all, because a full new alternate take will cover all length of previously recorded material.

By the way how it's possible the B case now?
Old 02-22-2023, 10:54 AM   #50
AZpercussion

Quote:
I'm afraid that it will confusing to undersand the logic, as we already have recording modes.
And it will undesirable to have different behavior for old recording way with takes and for new one.
Old 02-22-2023, 12:08 PM   #51
bolgwrad

Regular time selection auto-punch (new lane per take in FL mode), and comp mode auto-punch if comping is on (new recording punched into comp lane within time selection). Simple and wrong, no doubt.

I like the suggestion that pre-TS auto-punch peaks should be displayed, in fixed lanes at least.
Old 02-22-2023, 01:13 PM   #52
benmiller

or add a "time selection auto punch and promote" recording mode. It could behave like "time selection auto punch" if no comping lane exists. Can see where this would be nice, but the current behaviour selection of "time selection auto punch" is nice and clear because you only see the material you were aiming for and you know more is there for adjusting fades etc.
benmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 01:51 PM   #53
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZpercussion View Post
I'm afraid that it will confusing to undersand the logic, as we already have recording modes.
And it will undesirable to have different behavior for old recording way with takes and for new one.
The documentation should make it clear what the different modes do and then users can easily decide how they want to work.
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 02:26 PM   #54
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmiller View Post
or add a "time selection auto punch and promote" recording mode. It could behave like "time selection auto punch" if no comping lane exists. Can see where this would be nice, but the current behaviour selection of "time selection auto punch" is nice and clear because you only see the material you were aiming for and you know more is there for adjusting fades etc.
In the comp lane it gives exactly what you were aiming for.

I'm just advocating for showing the entire recording pass in the lane, cause why not? It's more useful than chopping it in the sourcelane unnecessarily - it's already chopped to your "aim" in the place where you want it - the comp lane. But it's quite beneficial to leave the full unchopped take in the source lane.
Old 02-22-2023, 02:49 PM   #55
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazma View Post
Thanks! Could you maybe fix the space bar play/stop behavior too? On some plugins (including some jsfx with UI) when I turn a knob and hit the space bar to start playback the knob freezes and can’t be turned any futher before I release the mouse button and click-drag again.
On a few plugins (like Native Instruments Raum) there are even worse behaviors to the point I avoid using them, IIRC space bar doesn’t even respond while the plugin is focused.
It’s very disruptive when trying to tweak a sound. All I want is the space bar to always start/stop Reaper playback (unless I check “send all keyboard input to plugin” or whatever the option is labelled). I am not at Reaper now but can record gifs later and list the various behaviors by plugin (type) / manufacturer if that helps.
Ok, regarding the JSFX it was an error on my side... narrowed it down to specific plugins by Native Instruments and opened a thread in the Compatibility subforum. Sorry for having jumped into the dev cycle discussion with this unrelated issue before properly troubleshooting.
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 06:28 PM   #56
Gass n Klang

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
In the comp lane it gives exactly what you were aiming for.

I'm just advocating for showing the entire recording pass in the lane, cause why not? It's more useful than chopping it in the sourcelane unnecessarily - it's already chopped to your "aim" in the place where you want it - the comp lane. But it's quite beneficial to leave the full unchopped take in the source lane.
+1
Old 02-23-2023, 02:06 AM   #57
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
The documentation should make it clear what the different modes do and then users can easily decide how they want to work.
It should actually be as clear as possible even without the documentation, just from the interface design.
bFooz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 05:38 AM   #58
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
+ macOS: improve behavior of enter/return key in non-REAPER FX plug-in windows [p=2650299] [t=257570]
Thanks for fixing this, Justin. Now both enter keys work on plug-ins.
Old 02-26-2023, 08:14 AM   #59
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Can you make a thread in the BR forum and include full scripts and steps to reproduce? thanks
Done. https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....79#post2652779
bFooz is online now   Reply With Quote