Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 04-04-2015, 12:38 PM   #1
MrJones
Human being with feelings

Default "Envelope point selection follows time selection" behaves confusingly

"Envelope point selection follows time selection" will cause the following confusing behavior:

1. I click on an envelope to make it active.
2. I do a time selection which covers multiple envelope points. As expected, those are now selected.
3. I click somewhere in the empty space of the envelope track, causing all points to be deselected visually. The time selection remains.
4. I click and drag a single point. Suddenly, at this late point, all the others jump into visually selected again and move with the point. Since it seemingly allowed me to deselect before, this is really unexpected.

Either the deselect shouldn't work in the first place (although I'd not recommend that), or when I deselect points explicitly then moving any single points shouldn't suddenly and unexpectedly cause REAPER to care a lot about a strong link of time selection <-> envelope point selection again when it just allowed me to unselect various points in the time selection. That's just confusing.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 01:16 PM   #2
Fergler

Strong points, I agree
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:40 AM   #3
MrJones

Since I couldn't follow you there with full detail, are you a.) suggesting that my non-standard modifiers cause this weird behavior or b.) that I change my modifiers because the default behavior is nonsense?

Because if it's b.) I appreciate the notion, but it still should be fixed.

As for a.), I haven't consciously modified such a setting but I sometimes change stuff without realizing I did. I'll try on a standard config install with just "Envelope point selection follows time selection" enabled and report back.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 09:26 PM   #4
skylar_battles

I'd say this behavior is still pretty confusing. Even when checked envelopes don't fully follow the time selection there seem to be quite a few caveats.
skylar_battles is offline   Reply With Quote