Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 03-20-2023, 07:36 AM   #1
777funk
Human being with feelings

Default QSampler (LinuxSampler GUI) not able to save loaded up instruments...

For some reason every time I save a set of loaded instruments, it appears to save, but when I open the saved session in QSampler, it's gone and just a blank (new) session opens.

This is of course going to make it very inconvenient or impossible to use the software. Not quite but almost the equivalent of having to re-write a Spreadsheet every time it's reopened.

Is there a way to fix this problem? I tried it on both of my regularly used Linux installs (Xubuntu) and not working on either. Just opens a blank rack.
777funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 09:32 AM   #2
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777funk View Post
For some reason every time I save a set of loaded instruments, it appears to save, but when I open the saved session in QSampler, it's gone and just a blank (new) session opens.

This is of course going to make it very inconvenient or impossible to use the software. Not quite but almost the equivalent of having to re-write a Spreadsheet every time it's reopened.

Is there a way to fix this problem? I tried it on both of my regularly used Linux installs (Xubuntu) and not working on either. Just opens a blank rack.
When I save a REAPER project that has one or more instruments loaded in LinuxSampler, REAPER saves the state of the instruments, and they load back up when I load the REAPER project later.

I don't load Qsampler again unless I plan on either adding or changing the instrumentation of an existing REAPER project.

When I do plan to add or change something, I always first load REAPER and the project that contains one or more instances of LinuxSampler, and only once I see that REAPER has fully loaded the project with all the samples, will I then finally open Qsampler, which will then see the running instance(s) of LinuxSampler, and populate itself to match the instruments currently loaded.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 09:33 AM   #3
PMan

Reaper saves the setups. Here is what I do (I got this from Glennbo):

In Reaper:
- Add the LinuxSampler (LS) plugin
- Add the Reaper tracks needed to support the LS channels
- Open QSampler
- Create a LS setup: multiple LS channels, each with output & MIDI assignments
- Setup the routing to/from the LS track and the audio/MIDI tracks
- Save all of it as a Track Template in Reaper

Whenever you want to add LS tracks in a project, add that Track Template and you are good to go!

You will still need to use QSampler to select the sampled instruments for the various LS tracks, but after you have made those selections, Reaper will save them in the project.

Create and tweak the configuration in QSampler, save it in Reaper.

Edit: hah! Glennbo beat me to the punch!
PMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 11:27 AM   #4
777funk

Thanks! And this is exactly what I have done and it works GREAT!! At first. But when I close Reaper and reload the template to check if all settings stayed intact, I'm getting my second instrument within Linux Sampler (QSampler shows it) not loading (ERR) as in the screenshot attached.

Not sure why this is.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot_2023-03-20_13-21-06.png (176.9 KB, 42 views)
Old 03-20-2023, 12:43 PM   #5
Glennbo

Quote:
Thanks! And this is exactly what I have done and it works GREAT!! At first. But when I close Reaper and reload the template to check if all settings stayed intact, I'm getting my second instrument within Linux Sampler (QSampler shows it) not loading (ERR) as in the screenshot attached.

Not sure why this is.
I just did a quick test adding LinuxSampler to an existing project, then launching Qsampler and adding first a channel with grand piano, then another channel with electric bass. I then recorded a few measures of piano and a few measures of bass, saving and reopening the project to confirm that the two parts stuck. They did.

Then I selected the three tracks (LinuxSampler, Midi Channel 1, and Midi Channel 2) and saved it as a track template. Lastly I closed the project, then closed REAPER, restarted REAPER and inserted the REAPER track template I had just created into a new blank project, and the piano plus bass were both there. Opening Qsampler at that point, displayed both instruments.

Here's one possibility. In my test, I actually recorded something after loading the piano, and bass, so REAPER knew that changes had been made. Had I only loaded up some samples using Qsampler, and then saved the template without recording, it's possible that REAPER might not have seen the project as changed.

I don't know if that is what happening, but I could certainly see it as a possibility.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 02:20 PM   #6
777funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I just did a quick test adding LinuxSampler to an existing project, then launching Qsampler and adding first a channel with grand piano, then another channel with electric bass. I then recorded a few measures of piano and a few measures of bass, saving and reopening the project to confirm that the two parts stuck. They did.

Then I selected the three tracks (LinuxSampler, Midi Channel 1, and Midi Channel 2) and saved it as a track template. Lastly I closed the project, then closed REAPER, restarted REAPER and inserted the REAPER track template I had just created into a new blank project, and the piano plus bass were both there. Opening Qsampler at that point, displayed both instruments.

Here's one possibility. In my test, I actually recorded something after loading the piano, and bass, so REAPER knew that changes had been made. Had I only loaded up some samples using Qsampler, and then saved the template without recording, it's possible that REAPER might not have seen the project as changed.

I don't know if that is what happening, but I could certainly see it as a possibility.

Must be some kind of bug or file system issue maybe, because I tried the same procedure of creating a template on another computer and it worked.

So... Will have to experiment a little more. Linux sampler is going to be very useful I can tell already. Thanks for the help and thoughts.

It will be nice getting out of the Windows music scene before the software "rental" era comes into full swing.
Old 03-20-2023, 04:05 PM   #7
audiojunkie

Quote:

Not sure why this is.
Make sure you are set with the right ports and channels. Having the correct port is just as important as having the correct channel.
audiojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 01:46 PM   #8
777funk

I think maybe the bug is with the sfz file and the folder the sample file is in. I had one channel with Maestro Concert Grand .gig file and another with a nice DX7.sfz file and folder with a FLAC from LinuxSampler (a YouTube channel). Both load great initially but on reload from a template, I get the error shown. So...

I instead loaded two channels of the Maestro piano and saved as a template. This works without issues. I now think its either the sfz file or Linusampler trying to find the audio file.