Old 10-01-2018, 09:15 AM   #1
Burnsjethro
Human being with feelings

Default Midi keyboard

Here I would like a recommendation please.

I fancy getting a midi keyboard for drums, pads, ...

My son said he would buy me one for my birthday next week.

What brands are you using? Do you have any tips.

The shop in town has a small selection. I was looking at a Roland keyboard priced about €150. Is this a good device? Would I be foolhardy to choose anything cheaper (I see they have some for about €80-90)?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Anton
Burnsjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 03:56 AM   #2
martifingers

I am no expert in keyboards but it may help the experts here if you gave a bit more information.
How many octaves (keys) do you think you will need? For drums a little 25 key one like my AKAI MPKmini is fine and even has 8 pads and 8 knobs in its tiny footprint.

On the other hand a bigger keyboard (49 keys plus) not only is easier when playing melody parts etc. but will have bigger keys that many will find much better to play.
And I assume you don't need one with weighted keys even if I guess many "proper" players would see that as essential for a genuine piano sound.

Sorry I cannot help more.
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 05:02 AM   #3
DrGed

I don't consider myself qualified to recommend a keyboard but I think I can offer a couple of comments that might be useful.

Firstly, I paid £150 (if I remember rightly) for an M-Audio Oxygen49 keyboard. It's seems O.K. so far but but it does loads more than I currently need. It may be that I get on the learning curve and end up getting the most out of it but just now I'm tempted to regret buying such a complicated one.

Secondly, I had a right job getting the keyboard to "work properly". The first thing I had to do was to make sure I was using the ASIO drivers. However, there was another fault that drove me round the bend for around about a week before I telephoned M-Audio who suspected the cable was faulty. This did, indeed, turn out to be the case so my advice would be to get a decent cable to connect the keyboard to your computer. None of the problems I had were down to the keyboard itself so I can't criticise it although I might have bought a Subaru Impreza when all I needed was a Vauxhall Nova, if that makes sense.
DrGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 04:41 PM   #4
bucca

how about that?

https://www.thomann.de/gb/swissonic_....htm#bewertung
Old 10-08-2018, 10:58 AM   #5
Burnsjethro

Hey thanks for all your comments. I am sorry I did not get back to you sooner but I forgot to click instant e-mail notification so I thought nobody had bothered to answer.
In the end my son bought me Akai mini midi control and I am just about to install it. It does not take up too much space on my desk, features drum pads and has enough octaves for my meagre keyboard skills.

Thanks for all chipping in with ideas and comment, sorry I did not get to see them sooner.

Anton
Burnsjethro is offline   Reply With Quote