Old 10-13-2018, 02:09 PM   #1
Powermac
Human being with feelings

Default Midi issue with Reaper

Ok, so I've hooked up my midi keyboard, enabled in preferences per Kenny's tutorial, have signal in my track channel, but no sound. I'm hoping someone can direct me. Thanks in advance.

Edit: By the way, I'm attempting to use MT Power drumkit 2 which doesn't seem to be working with the keyboard. I know there is signal however because the keyboard has several synths and pianos which is what's giving me signal in my track channel.
Powermac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 03:12 PM   #2
domzy

is your keyboard sending on the right MIDI channel? I'm not overly familiar with MTpowerdrums but drums are often on channel 10
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 03:47 PM   #3
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powermac View Post
By the way, I'm attempting to use MT Power drumkit 2 which doesn't seem to be working with the keyboard. I know there is signal however because the keyboard has several synths and pianos which is what's giving me signal in my track channel.
Danger of mixing up MIDI and audio signals here. If you want to use your MIDI keyboard to control a VSTi inside Reaper (e.g. MT-PowerDrumKit), you want to send MIDI from your keyboard and that is the signal you want to see in Reaper. If you have the track record armed and have set input monitoring on, you should see a red dot/jumping bar on the right edge of the meter whenever you press the keys of your MIDI keyboard. That will tell you that you have a working MIDI input on that track.

MT-PowerDrumKit accepts MIDI in any channel, but like domzy said, drums are often on channel 10. Other thing to notice is that the drum sounds in MT-PowerDrumKit might be mapped to (other) lower keys than you have tried to play. By default e.g. kick drum is on note 36, which might be C1 or C2 on your keyboard.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 04:00 PM   #4
Powermac

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
Danger of mixing up MIDI and audio signals here. If you want to use your MIDI keyboard to control a VSTi inside Reaper (e.g. MT-PowerDrumKit), you want to send MIDI from your keyboard and that is the signal you want to see in Reaper. If you have the track record armed and have set input monitoring on, you should see a red dot/jumping bar on the right edge of the meter whenever you press the keys of your MIDI keyboard. That will tell you that you have a working MIDI input on that track.

MT-PowerDrumKit accepts MIDI in any channel, but like domzy said, drums are often on channel 10. Other thing to notice is that the drum sounds in MT-PowerDrumKit might be mapped to (other) lower keys than you have tried to play. By default e.g. kick drum is on note 36, which might be C1 or C2 on your keyboard.
Thanks to you both for the insight. I've now got sound from the midi keyboard while using MT power drum kit, but now have some problematic latency between striking the keyboard and sound/signal reaching Reaper. Any help is much appreciated.
Powermac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:48 AM   #5
xpander

You could try changing the sample value for "Request block size" in your audio device settings (in preferences). Depending on what you have there now, try going as low as you can without getting any glitches on the playback (e.g. 128, 64 or even 32). How low you can go depends on your interface, drivers, how heavy project you are running etc.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote