Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 10-15-2018, 01:34 PM   #1
Sound asleep
Human being with feelings

Default Can I always run reaper as administrator?

I think I may have been getting some plugin issues because reaper was not started as administrator. My standard reaper link may be run that way, but if I run reaper by double clicking a project, it wouldn't be. Is there a way to fix it somehow so that reaper is always executed as administrator?
Old 10-15-2018, 01:43 PM   #2
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post
I think I may have been getting some plugin issues because reaper was not started as administrator. My standard reaper link may be run that way, but if I run reaper by double clicking a project, it wouldn't be. Is there a way to fix it somehow so that reaper is always executed as administrator?
You can right click an icon and hit the compatibility tab where there are options for other versions of Windows and to run as admin, but you really shouldn't have to run REAPER as admin, unless something is trying to write to a folder that it shouldn't be writing to or something similar.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:56 PM   #3
karbomusic

You can but it's a dumb thing to do (you aren't dumb, the need to run as admin is) and if some plugin requires it, it's a dumb way to code a plugin. A) I've never had to run Reaper as admin in nearly 10 years and B) any plugin that requires it doesn't go into my system since it's an insecure scenario.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:08 PM   #4
Sound asleep

Ya, this plugin is weird. It's an older plugin. I'm not going to be using it anymore in newer projects I think. I think something must have changed in the latest windows update that makes it think it's not installed correctly unless I run it as admin in standalone, or reaper as admin.

I noticed that gives me a "you sure you want reaper to mess with your shit?" window, which would be a pita, so I think I'll just live with right click until I finish this project, and then never use that plugin again lol.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:10 PM   #5
karbomusic

Yea, I figured it would be something like that and I trust you. You can set it in compatibility settings as Glenn mentioned.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:03 PM   #6
Sound asleep

Ya, I think I'll just never use that plugin again lol. That whole compatibility thing is cool to know, though. I didn't know all of that existed.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:26 PM   #7
foxAsteria

You can, but you will lose the ability to drag and drop from Windows Explorer (possibly other issues). No need for this in any case that I am aware of though.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:55 AM   #8
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
You can, but you will lose the ability to drag and drop from Windows Explorer (possibly other issues). No need for this in any case that I am aware of though.
There is a need for me and that plugin, but I won't be using it much I don't think. reaper would always ask permission to run also, which I would hate.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:40 PM   #9
foxAsteria

Oops, missed that part... Well it sure is unusual, but probably not a big deal apart from the drag and drop issue I mentioned.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:26 PM   #10
HIO

You cannot drag and drop EZ Drummer files into Reaper *now* unless you run as an Administrator. Just noticed this when I was trying to get a metronomic groove started the other day instead of using the metronome.

It is pretty well documented on the web and it is a wonder this issue did not come up in this recent thread which I just found while searching on this forum.

Win 10 and the latest version of Reaper here.
HIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 03:53 AM   #11
cutnpaste
Banned

Why not just change your user id to administrator but don't include a password then it should work for you.

I have EZ Drummer but have never seen the problem you speak of.
cutnpaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:51 AM   #12
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIO View Post
You cannot drag and drop EZ Drummer files into Reaper *now* unless you run as an Administrator.
Maybe you've got EZD running as admin?
Old 11-03-2018, 02:41 PM   #13
HIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutnpaste View Post
Why not just change your user id to administrator but don't include a password then it should work for you.

I have EZ Drummer but have never seen the problem you speak of.
Thank you very much for your suggestion but I always run my PC as the administrator and I am currently.

I have had EZ Drummer since its beginnings and have never seen this behavior either until I started dual booting into Win 10. Win 7 doesn't do this but I made the transition to 10 because 7 is going bye bye, sadly.
Old 11-03-2018, 02:44 PM   #14
foxAsteria

Quote:
Using an Administrator account does not run any programs "as administrator" by default. It's still a manual process.
Old 11-03-2018, 03:07 PM   #15
HIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Using an Administrator account does not run any programs "as administrator" by default. It's still a manual process.
Thank you for your replies. I can run Reaper in administrator mode each and every time and EZ Drummer will drag and drop just fine. However other MIDI drum grooves then will not.
Old 11-03-2018, 04:51 PM   #16
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIO View Post
Thank you for your replies. I can run Reaper in administrator mode each and every time and EZ Drummer will drag and drop just fine. However other MIDI drum grooves then will not.
No prob, but that's the exact argument for not running Reaper as administrator and you should not have to. Something's up with your EZD install (judging from others not having the issue; I don't use EZD). You try reinstalling EZD?
Old 11-03-2018, 07:32 PM   #17
Steviebone

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
You can but it's a dumb thing to do (you aren't dumb, the need to run as admin is) and if some plugin requires it, it's a dumb way to code a plugin. A) I've never had to run Reaper as admin in nearly 10 years and B) any plugin that requires it doesn't go into my system since it's an insecure scenario.
This is good advice. Running your computer and anything on it as admin should only be done when something actually requires that privilege (such as backup/restore, etc.). This is because if you were to get hacked, the hacker would immediately have full admin control over your entire system. Best practice is to use lowest privilege possible.

If your computer is not on the Internet or any network it may be less of a threat, but even then, should you accidentally load something nefarious then your computer is immediately compromised and exposed to maximum damage level.
Steviebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 07:38 PM   #18
Steviebone

Quote:
No No No! Do NOT do this. The last thing you want is an administrator account with NO password. Your admin password should be long and strong! An admin account with no password means anyone can do anything to your computer. Very bad idea. Actually, you don't want ANY account with no password. Especially if your computer is on the Internet. You might as well send out 10 million emails a day inviting hackers to take control of your system.

Almost every home PC has open ports that can allow a hacker to probe. The main thing protecting you is privilege level. The first thing a hacker needs to do is find a way to elevate privilege something that is not usually easy to do. So why make it easy for them? Kinda like leaving your front door unlocked AND wide open and then planting a sign in your yard telling people you are out of town for a month.

PS: Most home PC users do not understand that if your computer is online then it is being attacked thousands of times a day by bots looking for unprotected systems. You read that right. THOUSANDS. Every day. There are literally millions of bots following every IP address on the Internet looking for a system just like that. When they find you they will immediately phone home and a human will promptly pay u a visit while laughing at your lack of understanding.
Steviebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:58 PM   #19
woogish

it all depends on whether or not you identify as an administrator
woogish is offline   Reply With Quote