Old 08-30-2019, 11:00 AM   #1
rick
Human being with feelings

Default extend delay times in readelay

Is there a way to extend the delay times in Readelay?
It makes a great little signal looper but I'd like it to go up to a minute or three or more. You can enter 300,000 ms but it doesn't actually take that.

Any suggestions?

thanks in advance

r
rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 04:58 PM   #2
rainydayshirts

Make a Delay Bank. I would do this by setting up a new track to route whatever you want delayed and then loading as many ReaDelay plugins as you need (max for one appears to be 10 seconds, so 6 for one minute).

Probably need to gain stage them each so your signal doesn't get louder and louder as it passes through each delay. (haven't messed with ReaDelay much, so this may or may not be necessary)

I'll look through my plugins for a free alternative that has "excessive" delay times that you are looking for, when I get off work.

Might throw together some examples of what I am talking about, as well, if need be.

Homepage
rainydayshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:46 PM   #3
rick

Default delay bank

Ah,
I suspected as much. Just hoping that I'd missed something. Thanks. I'll post whatever fx chain I come up with. And super thanks for the pointers. Keeps me from having to think too hard.

Thanks again,

Rick
Old 09-08-2019, 11:44 AM   #4
ashcat_lt

That’s all well and good if you only want one repeat. If you start adding feedback to any of the delays in the chain, it will repeat based on that one plugin’s delay time. You could put the gmem receive plug before and the send plug after the delay chain and use that for the feedback loop.

As long as everything is at unity, it should loop forever, but as you add new layers it will get louder and louder. It won’t push down previous loops to make room for new ones. You can add compression and/or limiting to help with some of that if you want. In fact, I strongly suggest you put a good hard limit - a clipper or saturation that won’t let any single sample through above your chosen ceiling no matter what - before you add the gmem plugs because it is a feedback loop and with the wrong settings could get really loud really fast. ReaDelay itself doesn’t clip til it hits something like +300dbFS.

Of course it also needs to be 100% wet all the way through or else things will get wonky.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 01:10 PM   #5
rick

Default delay bank gain

That's pretty much what happened, and really I think just getting a proper looper, either hardware or software is the best way to go. Looking the vocal TC Ditto and the Boss rc-30.

Ideally I'd rather use a pair of 4 track reel-to-reels since that's what i'm most familiar with, but that's a bit far fetched these days

Not getting anything quite yet.

Thanks for the help. Verification goes a long way in troubleshooting.

Best,

rick