Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 09-16-2019, 08:04 AM   #1
Riinehart
Human being with feelings

Default Post-Production: How do I deal with mov files?

Hi all,

I've taken on a project to help a friend cleaning up and editing audio for a short documentary. However, I'm having a very hard time figuring out how to get files set up so I can work in Reaper.

The project originates in Premiere Pro, and is complicated by the fact that, for the most part, audio files are NOT separated from video files, as much of the footage was recorded straight to camera (mov/quicktime files).

Does anyone have thoughts on what might be the best way to set this up in Reaper?

For what it's worth, I have AA Translator, and have a bit of experience using AAF/OMF/EDL files (though admittedly without much success). But even in those cases, the audio files were separate and not tied to video.

Many thanks for any help/ideas!
Riinehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:05 AM   #2
domzy

Can you clarify what the problem is - is it that .mov files won't load (in which case do you have the right codecs installed) or is it that you are trying to import a Premiere project ( don't know anything about this but i think i've heard of people converting with AA translator)

As for the audio & video being one file - you can duplicate it & have one for video & one for audio if you need to
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:38 PM   #3
babag

yeah. are you trying to bring in a premiere timeline that shows all of the clips and cuts or have they been consolidated into a single file that has the, also consolidated, audio? if it's the latter, there's a function called 'explode' (search actions for that term) that will separate the audio tracks within the imported file to their own tracks.
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 01:41 PM   #4
Riinehart

Thanks all, and sorry that I didn't explain myself well as I'm pretty new to this side of things.

Ideally I'd love to have all the separate audio files from the project at my disposal in Reaper, laid out as per the Premiere Pro project, but with the complete files so that I could search through an unused portion of a clip for a cleaner room tone, for instance.

I did this once before for another project using an EDL file, but in that case I had their whole folder of wav files and the EDL just helped get them arranged.

In this case I figured I can't do that, because there are no separate audio files, just mov files in the project.

So in other words I'm looking for any way to get this project into Reaper and be able to see the audio files separately laid out the way they would be if I were looking at them in Premiere Pro.

In doing some more research, it seems like exporting to OMF (or AAF) might be the way to this ...?
Riinehart is offline   Reply With Quote