Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 08-06-2019, 07:58 AM   #81
schwa
Administrator

There shouldn't be any significant performance difference using it as take FX vs track FX, even if you have it on multiple takes on the same track (all instances share data internally anyway). But in the latest dev builds (and the next release), there also shouldn't be any difference in the undo/reset behavior.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:43 AM   #82
Chris7t6
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
There shouldn't be any significant performance difference using it as take FX vs track FX, even if you have it on multiple takes on the same track (all instances share data internally anyway). But in the latest dev builds (and the next release), there also shouldn't be any difference in the undo/reset behavior.
This is all great news, Schwa!

I've really become quite fond of not having Melodyne in my track fx chain. It's good to know this isn't hindering my system somehow.
Chris7t6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:43 AM   #83
zabukowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris7t6 View Post
This is all great news, Schwa!

I've really become quite fond of not having Melodyne in my track fx chain. It's good to know this isn't hindering my system somehow.
Yes that's good news - i guess using ARA as take FX will become recommended usage. Obviously there is a good reason behind Presonus decision not to support ARA as track FX.
zabukowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 01:30 AM   #84
Burnsjethro

Could someone explain how you use Melodyne as Take Fx please?
Burnsjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:12 AM   #85
schwa
Administrator

Just want to say one more time that as of the next build, there shouldn't be any difference between ARA track FX and take FX with respect to undo and resetting behavior (or any other behavior). There's no reason to prefer one over the other for any reason other than however you prefer to work.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:39 AM   #86
deeb

Awesome!
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:40 AM   #87
mustgroove

Quote:
Just want to say one more time that as of the next build, there shouldn't be any difference between ARA track FX and take FX with respect to undo and resetting behavior (or any other behavior). There's no reason to prefer one over the other for any reason other than however you prefer to work.
Thanks for clarifying schwa
mustgroove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:00 AM   #88
multibody

@schwa:

It happend several times that I wanted to undo stuff in melodyne and pressed ctrl+z repeatedly without having focus on the melodyne window accidentaly.

This leads to re-analysis and loss of all melodyne edits as soon as the melodyne-addition undo-state is reached:

Wouldn`t it be a reasonable workaround to avoid this frustration at the current stage of melodyne implementation to optionally skip these undo-states or create a warning-popup as proposed before?

Thanks!
multibody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:39 AM   #89
schwa
Administrator

Well, that's what that undo point *is*. If we skip it, you can't undo adding the FX, so undoing can get you into a project state that you were never in originally. In general, if you add any FX and then undo to the point where you added the FX, whatever you did with those FX settings will be reset. So I think this will be a live-with-it situation.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:50 AM   #90
Chris7t6

Quote:
Well, that's what that undo point *is*. If we skip it, you can't undo adding the FX, so undoing can get you into a project state that you were never in originally. In general, if you add any FX and then undo to the point where you added the FX, whatever you did with those FX settings will be reset. So I think this will be a live-with-it situation.
Yeah, Schwa. I see what you're saying here.

Obviously I've been thinking about this alot while trying to navigate this issue.

In it's current state, Melodyne integration hasn't gotten me into any big issues. I think this is mainly because of the real world use of the plugin. I have not found myself losing anything since the integration has been improved because of the simple fact that i'm not TRYING to screw it up.

I realized that when working with melodyne or any other plugin - I just don't really undo all that much and certainly never multiple times. I realized I was just still worried that wiping my edits COULD happen. PTSD I suppose.

But really, I personally feel pretty solid with ARA as it pertains to Melodyne and Reaper at this point.

It can only get better right?

Am I being a real simpleton here?
Old 08-08-2019, 04:48 PM   #91
puddi

Quote:
Yeah, Schwa. I see what you're saying here.

Obviously I've been thinking about this alot while trying to navigate this issue.

In it's current state, Melodyne integration hasn't gotten me into any big issues. I think this is mainly because of the real world use of the plugin. I have not found myself losing anything since the integration has been improved because of the simple fact that i'm not TRYING to screw it up.

I realized that when working with melodyne or any other plugin - I just don't really undo all that much and certainly never multiple times. I realized I was just still worried that wiping my edits COULD happen. PTSD I suppose.

But really, I personally feel pretty solid with ARA as it pertains to Melodyne and Reaper at this point.

It can only get better right?

Am I being a real simpleton here?
Yeah, feels really solid here after the recent improvements. I've also been enjoying using it as a take FX instead of track FX after learning that there's no significant performance difference between the two. I always thought 1+1=2.
puddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:09 PM   #92
Chris7t6

Quote:
One request would be that Reaper knows that Melodyne is already on items on a selected track. If you mess up and add Melodyne as a track or take fx when it is already a track or take fix, it can get real wonky real quick.

It would be great if there was a “hey dummy! You’ve already got Melodyne on items on this track! You can’t also use it as a track fx!” message. Also one for the other way around. It would be great if it just was not allowed internally. Or maybe there’s a script we could add if we so desired?
Old 08-09-2019, 02:40 AM   #93
Burnsjethro

"Yeah, feels really solid here after the recent improvements. I've also been enjoying using it as a take FX instead of track FX after learning that there's no significant performance difference between the two. I always thought 1+1=2. "

Excuse my confusion but are you still advocate using Melodyne as "take FX" rather than "track Fx" and if so what is the advantage as far as Melodyne is concerned?
Burnsjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:00 AM   #94
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
It would be great if there was a “hey dummy! You’ve already got Melodyne on items on this track! You can’t also use it as a track fx!” message. Also one for the other way around. It would be great if it just was not allowed internally. Or maybe there’s a script we could add if we so desired?
Although it doesn't call the user a dummy, you should get this error message if you try that:

Old 08-10-2019, 01:58 AM   #95
Chris7t6

Quote:
Although it doesn't call the user a dummy, you should get this error message if you try that:

It doesn’t block me from adding a take FX to an already “melodyned” track.

And I can also insert melodyne as a track fx when there are instances on takes on those tracks.

After that happens and I try to remove one or the other instance, melodyne gives up and resets.

UPDATE: now it doesn’t really seem to matter. It looks like no matter where you put these instances ( track or item ) it’s all the same thing. I was having troubles with the last dev build.

So yeah. Still doesn’t block you from adding BUT doesn’t seem to cause any real issues anymore.

So THANKS, DEVS!

Last edited by Chris7t6; 08-11-2019 at 09:34 AM. Reason: UPDATE!
Old 09-22-2019, 08:39 AM   #96
dee123

Default seems a workaround

i also had trouble with melodyne randomly (at least, for no apparent reason) not being able to load the settings / losing all edits. used as track insert.

it seems changing the relative file settings to absolute, as suggested, fixes it. very strange! but then this must be some fixable bug?

hope the problem can be traced.

dee

edit //
ps i wasn't aware this was the pre-release forum, i'm working with the latest normal release. still i hope the problem with losing edits in melodyne will be fixed without any workarounds in the next version!

Last edited by dee123; 09-25-2019 at 08:39 PM.
dee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:35 PM   #97
Joe90

I'm posting this here rather than making a new thread as it I'm hoping to get some eyes on it from other melodyne users -

Using melodyne as take FX then glueing the item results in a blank item the majority of the time, and undoing this gluing action completely resets the melodyne edits. I'm using the action 'glue (preserve stuff)' but it seems to be the same with any of the glueing actions.

Here's the strange part, if I run the action 'Item: Render items to new take (preserve source type)' then it renders the melodyne edits to a new take correctly, and if I THEN glue it it works reliably every time. However, undoing this glue still resets the melodyne edits. Please see the attached gif -

So there are two issues at play - one is that glueing is not working correctly with melodyne at all, the second as that undoing a glued melodyne edit resets the ARA analysis and therefore all edits... The first one feels like a bug, but the second one might just be a side effect of the way the ARA process works, however I really feel like when I first started testing Melodyne with Reaper it was not resetting like this after undoing glued take fx. I've tried any number of the compatibility settings to try and get this working but to no avail.

Can anyone else here help, or at least confirm the issue?

Also, as a side note - melodyne does not scale with Reaper at 4K so you end up with tiny buttons and text as you can see on the gif, I assumed this was a melodyne issue, but I checked and it scales fine in standalone and in my other DAW's via ARA (even though the DAW's themselves don't scale as well as the latest pre-release of Reaper at 4K, melodyne does), hopefully this can be looked at.
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 08:07 PM   #98
hharless7862

Default Suggestion from Celemony tech support regarding this issue.

Hi All,

I started losing my Melodyne edits a couple of months ago. Melodyne with ARA worked fine for quite a while, then all of a sudden I started losing edits every time I close and reopen a project. I also started getting the "corrupt document" message. I spoke with Melodyne tech support. They mentioned the SWS scripts, which I believe has been talked about here. They also sent this - "Please check in the Reaper preferences under the Project tab that ’Save project file references with relative pathnames’ is deactivated." I just got this and haven't had time to test it. The only workaround I've found to this point is to turn off the ARA function and go back to the old file transfer method with Melodyne. It still works perfectly.

I tried the settings change that Melodyne tech support suggested. Melodyne using ARA has now been working perfectly for two days. Before making the change, I couldn't keep it working for 2 hours. I appreciate Coachz's concerns, but I only work on projects on my own system. I have no need to move projects.

Last edited by hharless7862; 11-29-2019 at 05:13 PM. Reason: New info
hharless7862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 05:54 AM   #99
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hharless7862 View Post
Hi All,

I started losing my Melodyne edits a couple of months ago. Melodyne with ARA worked fine for quite a while, then all of a sudden I started losing edits every time I close and reopen a project. I also started getting the "corrupt document" message. I spoke with Melodyne tech support. They mentioned the SWS scripts, which I believe has been talked about here. They also sent this - "Please check in the Reaper preferences under the Project tab that ’Save project file references with relative pathnames’ is deactivated." I just got this and haven't had time to test it. The only workaround I've found to this point is to turn off the ARA function and go back to the old file transfer method with Melodyne. It still works perfectly.
Sounds like they need to fix their code. Turn off relative path names it's just going to make it so you can't move a project anywhere else. I would not turn that off in my world anyways.
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 10:25 AM   #100
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsjethro View Post
Not sure if I am in the right forum but anyone got any ideas please?

I upgraded from Melodyne Essential to Assistant (to take advantage of their discount (€49 for the upgrade) and activated it on two machinesd. All I have is now grey blobs that I can do nothing with! Help.

Could I revert to Essential Melodyne?
Please create your own thread and delete this post.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:14 AM   #101
chip mcdonald

I just got Editor, and wading through all of this and other ARA posts leave me to want to ask:

"What are best practices or things to watch out for when using Melodyne on a track in Reaper?" Before I spin my wheels...

?
Old 12-03-2019, 05:35 PM   #102
Joe90

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip mcdonald View Post
I just got Editor, and wading through all of this and other ARA posts leave me to want to ask:

"What are best practices or things to watch out for when using Melodyne on a track in Reaper?" Before I spin my wheels...

?
Turn off saving relative pathnames in preferences.

Use as take FX.

Save your edits often just in case, but use 'render items to new take', don't use glue (see my post above), even if you don't have the issue I had with glue not working properly, you will definitely still lose your edits if you glue then undo (I don't think this is a Reaper issue, just a general limitation of ARA). Rendering the item FX to a new take gives you a hard backup of the melodyned item, but also preserves the open melodyne state on the original take. I'm guessing freeze would work fine too but I don't know - I don't tend to use freeze. I want to have the open melodyne edit there to tweak if needed, but with the rendered melodyned audio on a 'backup' take in case there is a corruption.

Melodyne does not scale correctly on a 4K display when used via ARA within Reaper. I've checked with other DAW's and this is exclusively a Reaper issue. This is a shame given all the other improvements they've been making for HiDPI displays.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:44 AM   #103
chip mcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post

Use as take FX.

Save your edits often just in case, but use 'render items to new take',

don't use glue (see my post above)

you will definitely still lose your edits if you glue then undo

Melodyne does not scale correctly on a 4K display when used via ARA within Reaper.
That's great, thanks!
Old 12-08-2019, 10:11 AM   #104
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post

Use as take FX.

Save your edits often just in case, but use 'render items to new take', don't use glue (see my post above), even if you don't have the issue I had with glue not working properly, you will definitely still lose your edits if you glue then undo (I don't think this is a Reaper issue, just a general limitation of ARA). Rendering the item FX to a new take gives you a hard backup of the melodyned item, but also preserves the open melodyne state on the original take. I'm guessing freeze would work fine too but I don't know - I don't tend to use freeze. I want to have the open melodyne edit there to tweak if needed, but with the rendered melodyned audio on a 'backup' take in case there is a corruption.

Melodyne does not scale correctly on a 4K display when used via ARA within Reaper. I've checked with other DAW's and this is exclusively a Reaper issue. This is a shame given all the other improvements they've been making for HiDPI displays.
Correct me if I'm wrong but turning off saving the relative path names will prevent you from ever moving your project right? Just want to be clear on this. Also what does it do if you turn it back on? Do you even have to re import all the audio for it to assign the relative path names to them?
Old 12-08-2019, 11:33 AM   #105
ferropop

Honestly guys, I had all the same issues with all the same slight fixes highlighted in this thread (I did start the thread after all hahah) but I fixed all of them by literally starting my Reaper config from scratch. It did take some time obviously to recustomize everything, but in the end whatever weirdness causing hell got corrected. Might be worth it - you can always go back.
ferropop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:01 PM   #106
Joe90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
Honestly guys, I had all the same issues with all the same slight fixes highlighted in this thread (I did start the thread after all hahah) but I fixed all of them by literally starting my Reaper config from scratch. It did take some time obviously to recustomize everything, but in the end whatever weirdness causing hell got corrected. Might be worth it - you can always go back.
Wow that would be a hell of a task - did you export each section separately, like mouse modifiers, actions etc - or did you literally rebuild every custom action and reassign every mouse modifier?
Old 01-28-2020, 11:26 AM   #107
amagalma

I get corrupted Melodyne data and loose my edits too...

Has the culprit been found? How to overcome the problem?
Old 01-29-2020, 07:45 PM   #108
amagalma

I think I found it!