Old 05-03-2021, 04:01 PM   #1
Dork Lard
Human being with feelings

Default Why do YOU use a Limiter ?

Hey forum. So I've come to a point where I've got most of the basics really mastered, comp and EQ all that, but I'm still a bit tentative when it comes to limiters during mastering. I'm NOT asking for a textbook definition of what a Limiter is, I'm asking the question in the title, and am looking for varying personal answers.

Some just use them for uploading the loudest version of their track online, but some ppl like to get a lot of their track's transients out with a specific limiter during mastering, some even express their taste for a given limiter with how it colors the sounds and can bring a bit of a high end boost.
Yaself ?

Cheers guys.
Dork Lard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 05:37 PM   #2
Gibson_GM

For bringing an overall mix up to a higher master level (I tend to record and mix a bit on the low end, even tho often write hard material, LOL).

And after compression, to tame a few transients that get thru because I didn't want to over-compress.

I've found these 2 things DO offer some color as well, if used judiciously.
Gibson_GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:13 PM   #3
mschnell

A limiter is an absolute must to avoid harsh digital clipping when converting audio from Floating point format (exclusively used within Reaper) to fixed point format streams to be distributed (used by audio hardware and in close to all files to be created).

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote