Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 07-28-2012, 08:33 AM   #1
nullzen
Human being with feelings

Default Making a joystick/pitchwheel useful for editing

Hi everyone. I've googled and searched this issue here on the forums and I can't find an answer. Maybe because it's not easy to formulate it clearly in a few search terms.
So...

I've added a joystick to reaper as a midi device. It's a spring loaded self centering joystick and seems to be working as a pitchwheel.
My intention was to use that device to move the edit cursor forward and backwards with some degree of precision to aid in editing.

I've tried using the 'Move edit cursor' action and some other equivalent actions on the SWS kit, but they all seem to behave the same way.
What happens is that it moves back and forward relatively to the center of the screen and auto centers when I let go. Seems to be optimized for those transport strips.

I wished to make it so it would move the cursor continuously in proportion to how much I turn the joystick.

Like so:

- I'd bend the joystick full to the right, the edit cursor would move right fast.
- As I'd release the joystick, leaving it just a nudge to the right, it'd continue to move right, just slower.
- It'd continue to move to the direction of the turn until I centered the joystick/pitchwheel.

The cherry on top would be an option to toggle between free flow and snap to grid or items...

Can anyone understand what I'm going for here?
Any help would be very appreciated, thanks.

[EDIT]

Found the "Move cursor left by one pixel/grid division" (assigned to the arrow keys by default).
It's kind of what I wanted, but it's not sensitive to the amount by which I turn the joystick.
It's good enough. If anyone knows a more suitable solution I'll still appreciate it. Thanks.

Last edited by nullzen; 07-28-2012 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Found a workaround for my problem...
nullzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:55 AM   #2
FnA
Human being with feelings

This isnt going to be too helpful, but I thought someone should say "Hi, welcome to the forum."

I messed around with the MIDI CC edit cursor action using my pitch wheel and knobs on my controller. Got the same behavior you did. A little easier to control using the knobs but still limited by a center point. Also these movements ignore snap.

Didnt try every single CC, but the only thing different I noticed was using the MOD wheel acted like a variable speed FFWD scrub that didnt back up when released. I think that was using the first "relative" setting in the actions list.

If you put "cursor" in the filter in actions list you'll find a boatload of actions, if thats interesting...

You could assign any action to "channel1(2,3,etc) pitch" if you wanted but I dont know how useful that might be to you. Any midi note/CC can be used like that.

Good luck.
FnA is offline   Reply With Quote