Old 05-24-2018, 04:18 PM   #1
bobtom1
Human being with feelings

Default Samsung 850 or 860 Evo?

So the time has come to go all SSD. I've seriously maxed out my hard drives and have decided to get all modern.

I've noticed that a quite a few of you good peeps have large 850 Evo drives so, after searching for more info both on this forum and the web in general, I thought it's best to ask here as you're all using the drives in a similar way to how I would be using it.

After much deliberation I don't think I'll need more than the 250Gb version as it's only for Windows and programs. It's actually double the size of my current windows partition. I'll reuse my current and other drives for everything else including backups.

The question, finally, is which one to go for, the 850evo or the 860evo. There isn't a real difference in price and the specs are similar enough not to make a great difference in my less than expert opinion. Or am I thinking too much?

I'd go for the larger Gb drive but, unfortunately, finances dictate otherwise. As Elton said ...I don't have much money but, boy if I did, I'd buy a big drive where Reaper could live...or words to that effect.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated. I've looked at other makes of a similar size but the prices aren't too far off the Samsung.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:38 PM   #2
Philbo King

I bought a 500 GB SSD from Crucial a couple months ago. I've been very happy with it. Their website is great for helping select the best one for your situation.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:01 PM   #3
bobtom1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
I bought a 500 GB SSD from Crucial a couple months ago. I've been very happy with it. Their website is great for helping select the best one for your situation.
Thanks for the reply and suggestion. I was about to pull the trigger on a Crucial MX500 until I saw that the price was almost the same as the Samsung. Reading the online benchmark tests the 860 looks the most likely, but people still seem to be going for the 850. I'd like to know if it's just because of the price, reliability or is there something else I should be aware of? The Crucial is still on my radar.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:45 PM   #4
Philbo King

I've heard good Samsung was best, but at the time I bought it Crucial was significantly cheaper. Either should work fine...
Old 05-25-2018, 04:16 AM   #5
Skijumptoes

The main difference is the expected life/stamina of each drive (860 predicted double the life/write cycles), but that's really more an issue on the larger drives where you will be writing a larger amount of data.

I'd get whatever works out financially best for you personally, particularly @ 250GB, as you'll be replacing that within 5 years whatever i would imagine.

As for Samsung, they've been my first choice since they started doing SSD's. I wasn't sure at first as with solid state drives i would always go WD, but they've performed great and been super reliable.
Skijumptoes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:16 AM   #6
Michael AD

I recently bought a Crucial MX500 2TB that cost significantly less than the Samsung SSD drives. Works great and it came with a 5-year warranty.

I only use it to store my VSTs and samples, meaning it's basically read-only - hopefully it will last a long time.
Michael AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:25 AM   #7
Runaway

I've had a 250gb Samsung 840 Pro for ages - same idea just have it for startup and programs.
I got sick of it being in the red (capacity wise) and bit the bullet and got a 1tb 860 EVO - a 500 would have been fine but I just didn't want to do it again - as far as space goes it is better to be looking at it than looking for it I reckon ;-)
Bottom line is buy what you can afford
Old 05-25-2018, 12:10 PM   #8
airon

I use an 850 Pro and an 850 EVO. System (lots of writing) and work drive(mostly reading).

If I had the choice I'd go for the newer model. The 860 Evo and 860 Pro are much closer in terms of performance than the 850 models were. So to me that would worth the extra bit of cash.

The reviews and tests are out there. They're easy to find.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 01:36 PM   #9
serr

Any of the SSD'd from the major memory chip makers are good products. Crucial, Kingston, Samsung are all professional products. The "economy" versions usually carry 3 year warranties and the more "enterprise" models have more write cycles before failure ratings and usually carry 5 or even 10 year warranties. (And cost an extra $100 or so.)

Any of these 'big guns' are pro devices, not just Samsung. (Actually Samsung has had the most warranty recalls recently. All handled professionally and zero reason to call that a bad mark.)

Crucial had the best bang for the buck recently with their 275GB and 525GB drives.

Note: If you are comparing read/write speeds and considering that for your decision. Are you running SATA3 and thus able to support top speeds? Because if you are running SATA2 (found on a lot of top spec machines that are a little older but very far from retirement and that outperform any reduced spec new models), your top read/write speeds will be the max of your SATA2 bus.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 03:09 PM   #10
BobbyS

I just installed a 500Gb 860 Evo and it was $129 from newegg

A 250GB is $79
BobbyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 04:15 PM   #11
Archimedes

I have about 4 TB in SSD in 500GB drives and about 8 TB in HDD in multiple sizes.

I confine my OS (Win 8.1 Pro) and all sound libraries to SSDs. Everything else is on an HDD. I perform at least a weekly backup to HDD, and daily backups when I'm really busy. My HDD also contains the Windows page file.

In general, and in my case nearly always, any read/Write or write intensive activity goes on an HDD, and read-intensive activity goes on an SSD.

Samsung makes SSDs they claim are configured for read-mostly duty, which is useful in data centers. But I've found it unnecessary to use those and instead just manage the placement of files according to their use.

I recommend that you do a little research about failure modes, rates, etc., and at least familiarize yourself with some of the discussion regarding the mortality of SSDs when there is a high amount of writing to the drive. I've had SSDs since they first became available, so my scheme is a habit, even though technologies continue to improve. For a home environment with casual use, it's less likely an issue. For data centers and extremely busy work environments, it can be.
Archimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 01:27 AM   #12
bobtom1

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences and for the advice. I've finished my research and checked out a number of options, benchmark tests and makes and have decided to go for the 250Gb Samsung 860evo. It's actually the cheapest option here at €59 ($70) and has a 5 year warranty.

I'm currently using a 150Gb partition of a 500Gb hard for Windows and programs and have been doing so for more years than I care to admit with no problems. I also have quite a bit of nonsense on this partition which I will get rid of. So 250Gb is more than sufficient for my needs for the foreseeable future. I'll probably go for a much higher capacity drive in the future for storage etc when finances allow.

I have a SATA2 board so I do understand that I won't be able to achieve the maximum speeds. But compared to what I have now anything will be better and faster.

Thanks again!