Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2018, 12:33 AM   #1
lachinhan
Human being with feelings
 
lachinhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Can Tho - Viet Nam
Posts: 71
Default Studio One version with Chord Track and Chord Item Ideas in Reaper

Hi Everyone!
S1 has just released version 4. A nice and useful feature. However, that is not a breakthrough feature, We have a great Automation Items feature, so I thought, "Why do not we develop the Chord Item, with the library of available chords, or self-developed ones?"

What do you think about this?

Have fun!

Nhan
__________________
NK Recording Studio
Email: lachinhan@gmail.com or admin@thuamninhkieu.com
Website:nkpro.top

Last edited by lachinhan; 05-23-2018 at 01:23 AM.
lachinhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:39 AM   #2
vitalker
Human being with feelings
 
vitalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4,137
Default

This https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=195930
Maybe this? https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=199896
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexan View Post
Make a thread "F%#! you Reaper! I quit!" to get more views and feedback since these kind of threads get much more traction
SoundCloudFR: "Real" Non-destructive GLUEAll the REAPER names
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:52 AM   #3
lachinhan
Human being with feelings
 
lachinhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Can Tho - Viet Nam
Posts: 71
Default

Hi, vitalker!

It's still not a true Chord Track and features. Pls refer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77dgZMPWrzM

However, to me, this is not a breakthrough feature. I think Justin will do better
__________________
NK Recording Studio
Email: lachinhan@gmail.com or admin@thuamninhkieu.com
Website:nkpro.top
lachinhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:26 AM   #4
blumpy
Human being with feelings
 
blumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 166
Default Please

+1, please.
blumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:33 AM   #5
vanhaze
Human being with feelings
 
vanhaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 4,580
Default

+1 also please !
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:07 AM   #6
vitalker
Human being with feelings
 
vitalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4,137
Default

This is not feature request.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexan View Post
Make a thread "F%#! you Reaper! I quit!" to get more views and feedback since these kind of threads get much more traction
SoundCloudFR: "Real" Non-destructive GLUEAll the REAPER names
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:40 AM   #7
lachinhan
Human being with feelings
 
lachinhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Can Tho - Viet Nam
Posts: 71
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
This is not feature request.
Chord Track I think is not a breakthrough feature. I think the Reapers will do more. So I mentioned Chord Track. I think the reaper must have the same features but breakthrough as the Automation Item. So I got an idea of the Chord Item, which has the same features as the Chord Track, but it's as revolutionary as the Automation Items
__________________
NK Recording Studio
Email: lachinhan@gmail.com or admin@thuamninhkieu.com
Website:nkpro.top
lachinhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:00 AM   #8
azslow3
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Heidelberg, Germany
Posts: 454
Default

+1

Cubase, S1 and Waveform have chords.
Sonar at least has groove markers.

So, what the greatest DAW programmers can write for us?
azslow3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:21 AM   #9
Hwangman
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 76
Default

That would be incredibly useful. Really impressed with that Studio One update, and hoping we can get that feature in Reaper.
Hwangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:00 AM   #10
Skijumptoes
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Norfolk, UK
Posts: 213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwangman View Post
That would be incredibly useful. Really impressed with that Studio One update, and hoping we can get that feature in Reaper.
As a Studio One 'Pro' owner i'm quite disappointed with it, the whole reason i'm using Reaper is because it can actually deal with basic MIDI implementation. i.e. SysEx for my Hardware Synths and Poly AT for Roland V Drums.

Neither of which work in Studio One, and still doesn't as of Version 4 as far as i'm aware, and it's ridiculous.

Personally i don't think the V4 upgrade is worth paying for, and secondly, if people can't work out their own chord progressions then really they should be brushing up on music theory and not relying on technology to carry them.

I'm so thankful that Reaper exists, and in my honest opinion i don't see it ever having controls like the chord track because it seems such a 'mic on guitar amp' kinda DAW to me, bare bones, serious tools and works for musicians/mixers alike.
Skijumptoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:39 AM   #11
Lokasenna
Human being with feelings
 
Lokasenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The vast, frozen wasteland of western Canadia.
Posts: 5,466
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skijumptoes View Post
if people can't work out their own chord progressions then really they should be brushing up on music theory and not relying on technology to carry them.
Sorry if this comes off as rude, but that is a terrible attitude to have. Full stop. Just because you don't need it, or want it, doesn't mean it wouldn't be awesome for other people.

Learning music theory and chord progressions takes a lot of time and effort. Plenty of musicians have cool ideas for a song and just need a little help making it "go somewhere", or coming up with backing synths, etc.
__________________
Currently working away from home; don't expect timely responses from me.
Default 5.0 Nitpicky Edition / GUI tutorial for Lua / GUI library for Lua scripts / Theory Helper / Radial Menu / Donate / ReaPack
Lokasenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:44 AM   #12
vitalker
Human being with feelings
 
vitalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4,137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachinhan View Post
Chord Track I think is not a breakthrough feature.
I mean the thread isn't placed in Feature Requests forum.
My sentence was written for guys, who post "+1".
The appropriate forum is here: https://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexan View Post
Make a thread "F%#! you Reaper! I quit!" to get more views and feedback since these kind of threads get much more traction
SoundCloudFR: "Real" Non-destructive GLUEAll the REAPER names
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:56 AM   #13
Skijumptoes
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Norfolk, UK
Posts: 213
Default

No that's not rude at all, it's only our personal thoughts afterall, i don't disagree with it being in there at all. As a Logic user people used to complain at the drummer function when it came onboard and many said it was going too 'garage band', but i used to make a ton of use out of it when coming up with songs on my guitar.

Just saying that i'm disappointed that features aimed at the lesser music-savvy audience are put into a 'pro' package over the basics you need to support core musical equipment.

It's still important for 'musicians' to learn music theory basics though, not only is it rewarding but it takes you away from the screen - which is good for the soul i think.

As a race we're already losing the art of one-to-one conversations and social interaction, sadly. And each step we take to shutting our own brains and knowledge off because there's 'easier' options just advances that. (IMO).
Skijumptoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:00 AM   #14
Lokasenna
Human being with feelings
 
Lokasenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The vast, frozen wasteland of western Canadia.
Posts: 5,466
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skijumptoes View Post
Just saying that i'm disappointed that features aimed at the lesser music-savvy audience are put into a 'pro' package over the basics you need to support core musical equipment.
Lots of pro musicians/producers find chord tracks helpful.

Quote:
It's still important for 'musicians' to learn music theory basics though
I agree that knowing music theory is never BAD, but the last sixty years of music would seem to strongly disagree that music theory is IMPORTANT.

Also, everyone's definition of "basics" will be different. For a lot of people, "basics" means EADGBe, root-fifth-maybe-a-third-on-top, and a few blues progressions.
__________________
Currently working away from home; don't expect timely responses from me.
Default 5.0 Nitpicky Edition / GUI tutorial for Lua / GUI library for Lua scripts / Theory Helper / Radial Menu / Donate / ReaPack
Lokasenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:11 PM   #15
Skijumptoes
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Norfolk, UK
Posts: 213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
Lots of pro musicians/producers find chord tracks helpful.
Yeah of course they would, as would i make a lot of use out of it. I don't know where you think i've stated that i would be opposed to not using it myself? That and the step sequencer are the standouts for me - but not worthy of a full revision upgrade in my mind as the core is practically the same with a bit of UI change.

Just because i would've preferred option C doesn't mean i dislike A or B by default, i don't know why people, like yourself, just presume that?! It's the lost art of conversation again!

My whole point is that they've placed that in before getting core components in there for outboard users. It wasn't until i got the pro license that i found out it was missing. So i sailed through ver 3, onto 3.5 and 4 adding to the votes on their feature request system - and so feel very disappointed in the latest update.

Looks good on the outside sure, but in use - it's not for me, and i'm really thankful that Reaper gets the core components right and worries less about the bells and whistles.


Quote:
I agree that knowing music theory is never BAD, but the last sixty years of music would seem to strongly disagree that music theory is IMPORTANT.
Sure, let's strip out the Beatles for starters, they weren't important. Let's throw away pioneers like Emerson Lake and Palmer who would take theories from near-medieval music and throw them into a prog rock genre. In fact, let's remove prog rock entirely from history - who wants all that advanced artistry in music anyway?!

We'll strip the importance from any classical music from the past 60 years also, and the entire pop music production teams who use theory to produce hit after hit, right? lol

Quote:
Also, everyone's definition of "basics" will be different. For a lot of people, "basics" means EADGBe, root-fifth-maybe-a-third-on-top, and a few blues progressions.
Well the new 'basic' for a lot of people 'could be' strumming a guitar randomly playing Em, getting the DAW to put it time, and then typing in the chords you want and Viola! Another song done.

Doesn't bother me if people want to do it that way - it's not music i'll listen to anyway, but they'll miss so much more with the journey of learning an instrument.

For me music is something to rejoice and enjoy in, the more technical and clinical it becomes the more watered down the experience, and ultimately like the art of conversation it will become a dying art.

In a world where everything is driven by technology and screens, kids grow up with their faces in mobile devices and then 'break off' to game on consoles - it's so constant. Isn't it really important that we withhold some kind of traditional learning with musical instruments both from a physical and mental viewpoint?

As a guitarist i'm a strong believer in that, because it's provided me with endless hours of enjoyment without a screen in front of me.
Skijumptoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:19 PM   #16
lachinhan
Human being with feelings
 
lachinhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Can Tho - Viet Nam
Posts: 71
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
I mean the thread isn't placed in Feature Requests forum.
My sentence was written for guys, who post "+1".
The appropriate forum is here: https://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23


Oh I understand.
__________________
NK Recording Studio
Email: lachinhan@gmail.com or admin@thuamninhkieu.com
Website:nkpro.top
lachinhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:35 PM   #17
Lokasenna
Human being with feelings
 
Lokasenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The vast, frozen wasteland of western Canadia.
Posts: 5,466
Default

Easy now - maybe I'm just misreading you. Let's see:

Quote:
if people can't work out their own chord progressions then really they should be brushing up on music theory and not relying on technology to carry them.
To me, that suggests you don't think anyone needs it.

Quote:
i don't see Reaper ever having controls like the chord track because it seems such a 'mic on guitar amp' kinda DAW to me, bare bones, serious tools and works for musicians/mixers alike.
To me, that says you don't think it's a serious tool.

Together, those statements tell me you're opposed to it and certainly wouldn't be caught dead using it. If that's not the case, my apologies. Your wording doesn't leave much room for "oh, of course I'd still use it" though.

Quote:
My whole point is that they've placed that in before getting core components in there for outboard users.
That isn't at all what your original post said - you made no connection between "It can't do MIDI" and "I think people should learn theory instead of...".

Quote:
Sure, let's strip out the Beatles for starters, they weren't important. Let's throw away pioneers like Emerson Lake and Palmer who would take theories from near-medieval music and throw them into a prog rock genre. In fact, let's remove prog rock entirely from history - who wants all that advanced artistry in music anyway?!
Perhaps I was a little vague there - "mandatory" might be a better word.

I love music, I love music theory, and most of my favorite artists love music theory too. Rock music, however, has shown that knowing theory isn't necessary. It helps, it never hurts, and lots of music simply wouldn't be possible for a basic three-chord punk guy to write, but learning one specific way to write music is not at all required.

Once you're in DAW world, though, adding parts for unfamiliar instruments DOES require music theory - everything revolves around the piano roll. Having technology to make that accessible for non-theory, non-pianists is a no-brainer to me.

Quote:
For me music is something to rejoice and enjoy in, the more technical and clinical it becomes the more watered down the experience, and ultimately like the art of conversation it will become a dying art.
Some (not I) would argue that too much music theory DOES make music too technical and clinical - John Petrucci is, objectively, a great guitarist and composer, but there are a lot of folks who insist that his playing is sterile. Alexi Laiho called it "the guitar Olympics", I believe. Or there's the quote, about Mozart, "too many notes". Music is subjective, and everyone has their own opinion of what constitutes "good" and "bad".

IMO, it's all good, and all valid. Write whatever you want to write, however you want to write it. If you find it satisfying to write a bunch of random chords on a dartboard and build progressions by throwing darts at it, blindfolded... great. Knock yourself out. Equally, if someone makes a two-bar piano motif and uses their DAW to soup it up into a two hour symphony... great. You'd scoff, I'd scoff, but they like it and (hopefully) other people like it.

Personally, I understand enough theory that - with pen and paper - I can build chords from scales. I know about three basic chord progressions. I can write a (shitty) solo in a given key.

All of those take time. Time that could be spent actually writing the song instead of having to figure out what's "legal" to play at any given point. That's why I wrote Theory Helper (see my signature).

TL;DR In my opinion, insisting that people learn music theory is snobbery - pure and simple.
__________________
Currently working away from home; don't expect timely responses from me.
Default 5.0 Nitpicky Edition / GUI tutorial for Lua / GUI library for Lua scripts / Theory Helper / Radial Menu / Donate / ReaPack

Last edited by Lokasenna; 05-23-2018 at 04:50 PM.
Lokasenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 12:21 AM   #18
Sibben
Human being with feelings
 
Sibben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sweden.
Posts: 1,063
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skijumptoes View Post
No that's not rude at all, it's only our personal thoughts afterall, i don't disagree with it being in there at all. As a Logic user people used to complain at the drummer function when it came onboard and many said it was going too 'garage band', but i used to make a ton of use out of it when coming up with songs on my guitar.

Just saying that i'm disappointed that features aimed at the lesser music-savvy audience are put into a 'pro' package over the basics you need to support core musical equipment.

It's still important for 'musicians' to learn music theory basics though, not only is it rewarding but it takes you away from the screen - which is good for the soul i think.

As a race we're already losing the art of one-to-one conversations and social interaction, sadly. And each step we take to shutting our own brains and knowledge off because there's 'easier' options just advances that. (IMO).
Respectfully, isn't this a bit like saying you don't need tempo functions if you know how to keep time? Or spelling functions in a word processor of you're a proper author?

Totally agree people should learn music theory if they want to advance. But I don't think it's either or. I know how to build chords but automation helps me use my time on more creative aspects. It's not replacing a skill set, it augments it.

Also, REAPER isn't really "pro" in any sense of the word, is it? Because it's so powerful and open it gains traction with pro users but the software itself and Cockos seems to defy any such distinctions.
__________________
Analog is the new digital
Sibben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 03:56 AM   #19
Skijumptoes
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Norfolk, UK
Posts: 213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
Easy now - maybe I'm just misreading you. Let's see:
I can't quote two layers deep for some reason,so:-

My entire point was based from the perspective of a studio one owner feeling let down, and yes, i totally stand by the reasoning that people shouldn't be relying on technology for basic chords progressions, as it creates a very sterile method of song writing.

However, i'm not opposed to it in anyway because if someone's getting enjoyment with very little effort then that's great for them personally, but maybe not so for music as a whole.

The way i worded my original reply was bitterly being let down with MIDI specific features to support outboard users, yet seeing features like the chord tracks being pushed, hence my rant towards it's importance in comparison.

It's fantastic technology and extremely useful, but it's all set in an environment i've paid for, yet can't use!!

Quote:
To me, that says you don't think it's a serious tool.
No, i'm saying that the core elements need to exist before adding in bells and whistles. I've got external Synths, FX units etc that can be synced to tracks and controlled via SysEx - and yet a 'pro' package like S1 can't deal with it, likewise a set of V Drums that only partially work with S1 - it's really dumb.

Reaper by comparison is very functional and straight to the point with plenty of flexibility, and i think that's by deliberate choice by the developers. Reaper's not a DAW that sells on gimmicks.

Quote:
Together, those statements tell me you're opposed to it and certainly wouldn't be caught dead using it. If that's not the case, my apologies. Your wording doesn't leave much room for "oh, of course I'd still use it" though.
Despite replying to you twice and explaining that i'm not opposed to it of course you still don't understand me then? It's the very first thing i said in my reply to you.

And you don't need to apologise, i got huge respect for you and what you've done for the Reaper community, and i feel no offence whatsoever if you have a different viewpoint, although i feel that we're pretty much on the same page - but i have baggage regarding S1 and what they define as priority.

Just because i'd rather see them employ SysEx and PolyAT over something like the chord track so i can use the DAW, doesn't mean that i don't want/use/appreciate the chord track feature. I just feel really bitter about putting money into a product that has seen two paid for upgrades in my time, and still un-addressed.

Quote:
I love music, I love music theory, and most of my favorite artists love music theory too. Rock music, however, has shown that knowing theory isn't necessary.
I think you're confusing learning theory from a scholar point of view vs what comes naturally when a musician picks up an instrument and learns it.

The Beatles developed a theory of their own and they were walking across the teachings of past masters without even knowing it, they didn't know the terms of what they were doing, but they knew it sounded right and were able to put emotion into their playing.

Their style of theory has been passed on by generations since, and it's from learning their songs, and the songs of artists that have learnt from them that it's evolved.

Tools like this open up the possibility of teaching kids easy shortcuts and bypassing that whole journey, and thus taking away the magic which makes learning an instrument so amazing. People that are so desperate and NEED this to compose, really, are better learning it properly in my experience - it's so much more rewarding and long term beneficial.

Most of my favourite songs ever recorded at the ones that stomp in the face of what the scholars would teach you, that's why it's so important that we understand what works and what doesn't, instead of being restricted by tools that encourage you to create what 'should' work according to strict theory.

Quote:
Once you're in DAW world, though, adding parts for unfamiliar instruments DOES require music theory - everything revolves around the piano roll. Having technology to make that accessible for non-theory, non-pianists is a no-brainer to me.
Yeah of course, but when you can't even get those instruments into the piano roll to start with makes it a moot point really doesn't it?

Quote:
Some (not I) would argue that too much music theory DOES make music too technical and clinical - John Petrucci is, objectively, a great guitarist and composer, but there are a lot of folks who insist that his playing is sterile.
Yeah i'm one of those, i find it very hard to enjoy technically proficient yet sterile artists, and i feel that a DAW armed with a chord track function like S1 is only going to push that further. I hate overly clean recordings, I'm a brit so i've always found the US over-produced 'clinical' music to be hard to get into, i like to hear the mistakes and human element in a song.

What matters most to me is learning the instrument by ear and developing your own set of theory, which may or may not match the masters 'teachings' - but it comes from a variety of places, learning tabs, jamming with friends, playing a long to CD's etc. Hence why i think it's important to learn and not be guided by what 'technically' works.

Personally i think that if you can't write a song or progress chords, then learn why. At that point a tool like the chord track can be great in educating basic theory - when used like that, it's fantastic. I have a guitar wheel that i refer to at times, and it's invaluable if i get stuck, same reasoning.

However, i'm then learning that chord and playing it as a progression. Not putting it in the hands of a computer. For me personally, that's more rewarding.

Quote:
All of those take time. Time that could be spent actually writing the song instead of having to figure out what's "legal" to play at any given point. That's why I wrote Theory Helper (see my signature).
Your applied theory IS the song though? There's no 'legal' way of playing, either.

I'd use the S1 chord track feature to try different ideas out based on my knowledge, and use it as a learning tool in itself. But just like Autotune, it will become abused and we'll get more of the same tired I–V–vi–IV progressions with no progression beyond that, as it's instant gratification.

Quote:
TL;DR In my opinion, insisting that people learn music theory is snobbery - pure and simple.
To a scholarship level i totally agree. But in terms of playing an instrument, learning basic chords and basic progressions from learning other artists songs, or putting together yourself - is extremely important. Having that ability means that you can then step away from it and build on top, and that's where things get interesting.

It's the human element that we should never lose, we are literally at the point of letting the DAW create the song for us. The next progression is virtual radio stations (Like spotify) that play music based on algorithms fed with different loops that can be reshaped/repitched.

And where does that leave the likes of a modern day Beatles to come through?

Sadly too many people just concentrate on the final result, and not the journey - and that's what life should be about, too much emphasis on arrival and not the passage.
Skijumptoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 04:18 AM   #20
Skijumptoes
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Norfolk, UK
Posts: 213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibben View Post
Respectfully, isn't this a bit like saying you don't need tempo functions if you know how to keep time? Or spelling functions in a word processor of you're a proper author?
Yeah i guess it is, i'm a big believer of getting things right at source, so if it's out of time re-record, don't invite audio artefacts cause it's 'easier', and if there's a slight timing issue and it sounds right - definitely go with it - don't tempo adjust/quantise because it's a quick button press!!

Spelling mistakes are different as it's an objective change, audio correction is very subjective as to the end result may not sound right after tempo adjustments/quantisation. Whereas spelling is literally a binary objection as to being correct or not. The words used, and in what context, however, is what makes the author - really that's their chord progressions, not the spelling.
Quote:
It's not replacing a skill set, it augments it.
Why would a young student coming through college feel the need to plough hundreds of hours into an instrument when they can fix it all in the DAW? Why would they even buy a guitar when they can load a sample and pitch it as guided by the DAW?

You would be surprised how much technology dictates young minds and the progression of music. Skill sets, as already proven (Such as writing a moving piece of script, being able to play instruments in time, artwork which captures movement etc) are being replaced.

To break this down on a basic level that everyone understands:- There was a time where everyone had a method to remember their family and friends phone numbers, yet that's a lost skill set. We are becoming slave to the computer, how many phone numbers can you remember if you lost your mobile phone for example? Can you even remember your own number?!

We take shortcuts because it's easier, and it creates a very sterile, binary world as we conform to fit into it. The journey is so important, yet everyone's focusing on the end result/destination.

Even spending time making a coffee is important to me, the making is as enjoyable as the drinking. For many people they're happy throwing a plastic cartridge into a machine pressing a button and thinking nothing of it.

All the while, adding to the pollution, dilute your own enjoyment to reach that end goal as quick as you can, but when you arrive, then what? It feels empty, so, you find another destination and get there as quick as you can... Repeat over and over again...

Then you'll look back one day and realise that you should've been enjoying all those 'inbetween' moments, and realising that perhaps the journey is what should've been the focus. But we're not encouraged to act like that. Instant diet pills, instant coffee, instant chord tracks!! lol

Quote:
Also, REAPER isn't really "pro" in any sense of the word, is it? Because it's so powerful and open it gains traction with pro users but the software itself and Cockos seems to defy any such distinctions.
I think i stated that S1 has the 'Pro' monicker, yet Reaper kicks it out of the water when it comes to basic functionality.

In my opinion Reaper is functionality first, and that's definitely what i would expect from professional software. If you've had to rely on software to earn money i'm sure you'd appreciate that functionality/reliability comes first, no matter what.

Whether Cockos market it as such is up to them, fact is it's functionally sound.

Last edited by Skijumptoes; 05-24-2018 at 04:24 AM.
Skijumptoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:59 AM   #21
Lokasenna
Human being with feelings
 
Lokasenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The vast, frozen wasteland of western Canadia.
Posts: 5,466
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skijumptoes View Post
Despite replying to you twice and explaining that i'm not opposed to it of course you still don't understand me then?
I understand you. Your original post, that I responded to, did not make that clear at all. You said, subsequently:

Quote:
i don't know why people, like yourself, just presume that?! It's the lost art of conversation again!
I was trying to explain how I got to that point. Your original statement was unclear.

Quote:
I think you're confusing learning theory from a scholar point of view vs what comes naturally when a musician picks up an instrument and learns it.
I assumed you were talking about Music Theory, as in note names and modes and building chords and voice leading. When you say "people should "brush up on music theory", that's what most folks will take it to mean.

Quote:
People that are so desperate and NEED this to compose, really, are better learning it properly in my experience - it's so much more rewarding and long term beneficial.
I agree with the second half, but not the first. Learning theory, whether "real" theory or "rock" theory, takes a lot of time and effort. As I said earlier, if someone has the bones of an awesome song and needs a little help from EZKeys to apply it to a chord progression... who cares?

Quote:
Most of my favourite songs ever recorded are the ones that stomp in the face of what the scholars would teach you
So... then music theory ISN'T important? :P

Quote:
There's no 'legal' way of playing, either.
In a Music Theory sense there is most definitely a legal way to play. Not playing a C#sus4dim7add9 when the song is in C Major, etc etc. Rock music eases it down to "you should probably consider not doing that, but whatever dude".

Quote:
Your applied theory IS the song
Well, in my case the song is a few cool riffs that I managed to sandwich together in a way that doesn't sound bad. My brain likes structure, symmetry, etc, so I find it helpful to work out what scale and therefore chords a given riff could fit. Theory comes in after I've got the rough draft, when I need to make it actually sound like a proper piece of music.

Spoiler: It never ends up sounding like a proper piece of music.

Quote:
The next progression is virtual radio stations (Like spotify) that play music based on algorithms fed with different loops that can be reshaped/repitched.
There's a long list of reasons why I don't listen to the radio or anything similar.
__________________
Currently working away from home; don't expect timely responses from me.
Default 5.0 Nitpicky Edition / GUI tutorial for Lua / GUI library for Lua scripts / Theory Helper / Radial Menu / Donate / ReaPack
Lokasenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:57 AM   #22
Skijumptoes
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Norfolk, UK
Posts: 213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
whether "real" theory or "rock" theory, takes a lot of time and effort. As I said earlier, if someone has the bones of an awesome song and needs a little help from EZKeys to apply it to a chord progression... who cares?
Well that's another ball park isn't it? That's performance, rather than song progression, to me that's no different than brining in a session musician in a studio. Which is great.

Likewise, the chord track, is like having a producer who tidies up your compositions. Again, great.

However, Where i think it will be mis-used, is to create the bones of a track with no prior knowledge/experience of basic music theory, i just think we're killing music by promoting that with no nod to the theory behind it.

I'm not actually against that concept, i've got kids, and i'd love to see them having fun making songs in that way - but ultimately i think it's a shortcut that they would take vs sitting down and learning an instrument. And to me, that's pretty sad, and i have them in mind when discussing this if i'm honest.

I work with computers all day, and while i'm thankful that i can earn a living with them, i also dislike them with a passion. Honestly, i sometimes think that going 1-2 weeks without power would be a really interesting lesson for everyone, and many, i think ultimately, would be sadder when it comes back on. We're missing quite a bit in our lives that technology attempts to fill. Or rather, replace.

Living in a rural area our power ofter takes a dip, and it's actually really nice to sit down with candles, the acoustic and play board games with the kids vs the everyday rush and TV Sucking the life out of the room. I'm usually sad when it returns.

Maybe i'm just mental, but i'm sure there's something in that. And you know, i really love people and having interesting conversations with them and just wish we went back to those times were people were less controlled by devices.


Quote:
In a Music Theory sense there is most definitely a legal way to play. Not playing a C#sus4dim7add9 when the song is in C Major, etc etc. Rock music eases it down to "you should probably consider not doing that, but whatever dude".
Depends what context it's in though doesn't it, it's like whether the note played is F# or Gb, it's the same notes after all, just it's context is dependant on the key you're in.

That, as a result affects the context of the note as to whether it's sharp or flat. So when you apply that outside of the key it's it can do interesting stuff, and more than likely what you've pulled off is simply a part of another progression that you're not aware of.

I think we all have our own theory but it has to be linked up to one that's globally understood and subsequently taught. Take George Harrison (Beatles again i know), he went off to study Indian music and then brought that back into a western context.

So to look at one small aspect of theory and apply a "Thats not legal" approach, i don't think is possible. And thats what so important to withhold and celebrate. People can't break the mold if they're working with a tool that holds them within it.


Quote:
Well, in my case the song is a few cool riffs that I managed to sandwich together in a way that doesn't sound bad. My brain likes structure, symmetry, etc, so I find it helpful to work out what scale and therefore chords a given riff could fit. Theory comes in after I've got the rough draft, when I need to make it actually sound like a proper piece of music.
I just let it drip through me, i don't overthink it, and it just gets recorded as i would write a diary entry. At any point in time i can load that project up and feel how i felt on the day.

And that's what music is to me, just very personal, and of the moment. I like to hear the air in my room when i play it back several years later, it's a chilling feeling to think that was captured in the recording.

I've got the ability to do so much more, but i just find it thoroughly hard to record what i could offer and sit and go through it all with the skill set i have - musically i'm vastly underperforming. But i'm a pretty stressed out dude with work etc. so that's probably a big part of committing myself too much in an area that i want to remain as enjoyable as possible and in contrast to work. I used to get paid for commercial music (Business promotions/presentations etc), and that was different, but no more.

I'm pretty much waiting for that door to open in my mind in all honesty, but until then, i really love just getting lost in an instrument without the DAW involved.

Last edited by Skijumptoes; 05-24-2018 at 07:05 AM.
Skijumptoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.