Old 08-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #1
foxAsteria
Human being with feelings

Default 4 Caveats on the MIDI Editor

Agree or disagree?

1. Trying to copy or move notes past the edge of the MIDI item is prevented. (I either have to shorten the notes or lengthen the item and honestly I don't see why I should have to do either. Items should allow for notes to begin inside and end outside their bounds.)

2. Clicking or double clicking on the CC Lane divider moves the edit cursor. (Any reason for this?)

3. Can't erase short notes (i have to select and delete them for some reason).

4. Can't see the selected note row inside a Time Selection. (Which for me is almost all of the time.)

Just the top four things working with the ME that annoy me on a regular basis. Any other niggles I can live with. Thanks for your consideration...

Last edited by foxAsteria; 10-03-2013 at 07:32 PM.
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:24 PM   #2
ramses

Checked the prerelease forum lately? Lots of MIDI stuff getting sorted out at the moment, you might have a chance to weigh in.
ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
foxAsteria

Yes, exactly why I posted this. None of these issues seem to be getting addressed.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
Tod

Hey Poo, I'll take a stab, however I pretty much agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooFox View Post
Agree or disagree?

1. Trying to copy or move notes past the edge of the MIDI item is prevented. (I either have to shorten the notes or lengthen the item and honestly I don't see why I should have to do either. Items should allow for notes to begin inside and end outside their bounds.)
You're right about this but I don't have this problem because I use full song items on all my midi tracks. That basically gives me full track based Midi.

Quote:
2. Clicking or double clicking on the Parameter Lane divider moves the edit cursor. (Any reason for this?)
Not sure what you mean by "Parameter Lane divider", are you talking about the divider between CC-Lanes? At any rate, I agree with you, you can't hardly click anywhere without the Edit Cursor moving.

Quote:
3. When only showing beats or time alone in the Ruler, it's still twice as big vertically as it needs to be. (Ostensibly, this is to allow the mouse modifier editable bottom portion to co-exist with the hand grabby top portion, which I have no use for. Waste of space, IMO. We could stand to lose all the window borders, really, a la toolbars.)
Sorry, I don't have a clue what you're talking about here.

Quote:
4. Can't see the selected note row inside a Time Selection. (Which for me is almost all of the time.)
You're right about this too, however I'd never really noticed it before. Actually I don't have a time selected unless I need it for a reason. I think the thing that bugs me most about time selection is that it inadvertently gets selected some times when I don't want it.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #5
DarkStar

For 3, I think PooFox means this:

Old 08-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #6
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
For 3, I think PooFox means this:

Aah okay, thanks DS.

Of course that can't really be changed with the new midi editor, the Value and Position boxes are sitting over the piano roll. Heh heh, right where it should be.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:38 PM   #7
FnA

Regions go in the top hand grab area. Markers in the middle. Time signature markers are not showing up for me on Windows 7 Reaper 64. I guess it's unnecessary if you use the docker? Wish there was a different color available for the loop indicator. I think even the time selection color would be better than that of the ruler text.
FnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:42 PM   #8
hamish

One of my pet hates, can't understand that this could be a feature:

Quote:
hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:58 PM   #9
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by FnA View Post
Regions go in the top hand grab area. Markers in the middle. Time signature markers are not showing up for me on Windows 7 Reaper 64. I guess it's unnecessary if you use the docker? Wish there was a different color available for the loop indicator. I think even the time selection color would be better than that of the ruler text.
I know, but I find them redundant. Editing them there is wonky too, so I'd rather just see them in the main ruler.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:05 AM   #10
FnA

I felt the same when I was using a small screen with the docker. Now I use the floating editor maximized mostly, where markers can be useful. Maybe it could be an option.
FnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:30 PM   #11
foxAsteria

you're right FnA. I probably didn't need to include it and it's not really a problem for me. I just have a bad habit of magnifying details that I can't make sense out of... like why vertical space is so typically wasted in UI design, when there's almost always less of it than horizontal space on the average monitor... so yea, that caveat isn't too specific to the MIDI editor, just well exemplified by it.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:07 AM   #12
EvilDragon

1. I see no problem in extending the item in this case. And there IS an option to automatically extend the item as you move or drag-copy the selection outside of current item boundaries.

2. CC lane divider duplicates the ruler behaviour for the most of its length, you can only grab it by the edges and drag up/down. I'm ambivalent about this, it would be better to have an option to disable this kind of CC divider behaviour.

4. Yep, bothers me as well.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:34 AM   #13
jnif

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
1. I see no problem in extending the item in this case. And there IS an option to automatically extend the item as you move or drag-copy the selection outside of current item boundaries.
It does not work in looped items.
And I guess that's why PooFox requested this:
Quote:
Items should allow for notes to begin inside and end outside their bounds.
which is a very reasonable request. It has been requested many times.
The current behavior where notes must end inside item is one of the biggest problems/flaws in Reaper's MIDI implementation. Looping and splitting MIDI items would work much better without that limitation.

jnif

Last edited by jnif; 08-15-2013 at 10:53 AM.
jnif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:45 AM   #14
LugNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnif View Post
It does not work in looped items.
And I guess that's why PooFox requested this:

which is a very reasonable request. It has been requested many times.
The current behavior where notes must end inside item is one of the biggest problems/flaws in Reaper's MIDI implementation. Looping and splitting MIDI items would work much better without that limitation.

jnif
Hi,
If i understand correctly, plz have a look at the way Logic has handled this for years...search "clip length" i think that's what it was called.
Sorry if i misunderstand the application.

Lug
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #15
jnif

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugNut View Post
Hi,
If i understand correctly, plz have a look at the way Logic has handled this for years...search "clip length" i think that's what it was called.
Sorry if i misunderstand the application.

Lug
That is only one part of a solution.
Here is a recent post where I listed all the things that has to be considered related to this issue:
http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...&postcount=649

jnif
jnif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:55 PM   #16
LugNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnif View Post
That is only one part of a solution.
Here is a recent post where I listed all the things that has to be considered related to this issue:
http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...&postcount=649

jnif

rgr that jnif....again i would refer to logics implementation...splitting items?..user is presented w a choice...loop items?....the behavior refers to the setting of clip length. Never Ever had any situation where i went..wtf is going on here.^^

IMHO there is a little bit of reinventing the wheel goin on^^

And one more thing semi related...the mpc60 was the first to have this feature{ as far as i know}...then logic....Sustain pedal to note length.

Lug

btw..ur enormous amount of effort is greatly appreciated. Thank u!
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:59 PM   #17
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Probably you don't often use items to create arrangements. I'm working like that all the time.

The items in my arrangements are typically short and correspond with musical lengths. Having them overlap, as would be the case if I allow them to automatically resize whenever I move long notes to the right, would cause problems when duplicating. But I guess I have to use this option for now and remember to manually resize again every time... (Slightly less annoying than bumping into the end of the item)

I don't like to use internal looping but it's obviously a problem there as well.

Honestly, I'd settle for and Item end offset option. That way, we can have overlapping items which show clearly when notes end and don't cause problems when duplicating.