Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 03-09-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
Doughboy
Human being with feelings

Default ARRrrrgh!!! Need help with EZ Drummer and Reaper.

Okay. Just got 4.0 a while ago. Now I have a new computer as well. But here's the deal.

I bring up EZ Drummer to create some loops. When I click on the preview button of EZD....nothing happens. I have to click the "play" button on Reaper then the audio of EZD will play. Then I have to hit the pause button on Reaper and EZD will continue playing. Once I hit the stop button on EZD to try another loop, I have to repeat these steps again. I have tried creating a new track and seeing if it still does this which it does.

So, how do I get EZD to preview without having to hit the play button on Reaper, which makes no sense at all.
--------------------

Second question: The floating plugins are driving me nuts. I only want them to float, if I double click on it or something. But they automatically float, and some of them I can't get to "unfloat"? I've went to options preferences VST's and such....but nothing seems to be checked that should do this.....

Thank you for the help.
Doughboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:13 PM   #2
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughboy View Post
So, how do I get EZD to preview without having to hit the play button on Reaper, which makes no sense at all.
It's been some time since I checked out EZD so I could be wrong, but I think there should be a 'sync' button somewhere on EZD (maybe called 'host sync' or similar)?
Meaning EZD's transport is either synced to Reaper's transport (as it is currently) or is independent (what you want).
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #3
Doughboy

okay....I'm headed out the door, I'll check that first thing tomorrow. That makes sense.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:39 PM   #4
Doughboy

Hmmmm....I brought up EZD....and there doesn't appear to be much for options. There is a little question mark in the upper right corner and it gives you access to a few things like the manual and such....sigh....I hate manuals. But....I think it's something on Reaper that is in sync mode or something.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:21 PM   #5
sostenuto

Really hope you get some answers and value for cost of EZD.
OTH, their Forum suggests EZD is not even close to being 'Superior Lite'.
(Lucky to get any responses at all on Toontrak or Jamstix Forums) ....

With no Demo download, Toontrak is losing a solid chance for an owner wanting a bunch (>$500.) on SDX addons. Now that it seems clear EZD will not give me a good look at SD2, I'm out of the game. Not good marketing! For $400. I can get Ocean Way Silver ......

Would like nothing better than to see more posts stating how happy you are ...

Tried AD Demo today and like the sounds. Subhosted in Jamstix3 and that was fun as well. I'm a Jazz guy, but tried Funk for comparable sounds and AD has a bigger, 'rounder', richer sound. JS3 is darn good, but certainly different from AD. Not at all sure what this really means ..... FX, or better mics and recording techniques ???

Good luck,
Tom B
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:44 AM   #6
ivansc

Tom - I have EZD and Superior & find myself reaching for EZD as often as I do SD.
Mind you I also have Steven Slate4 Battery3 and a bunch of other drum romplers.

Each one has its strengths and weaknesses, but I "play" e-kit into them and find the TT stuff reacts as well as if not better than most others.
Didn't get on with AD sounds or interface & Jamstix3 is irrelevant for my purposes.
What were you expecting to be able to do in SD that you cant do in EZD, by the way?

Also I suspect you will find, as I did, that the Ocean Way stuff is quite limited in terms of adjustability compared to most of the others.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:35 AM   #7
planetnine

Check that the Run plugin when stopped option in REAPER is selected...

From memory that got me when I first installed Superior Drummer.

Edit: I have EZX libraries and I run them from SD. I particularly like the Latin Percussion EZX. I got SD instead of EZD because of the routing and bleed advantages, SD is more flexible and configurable. It's well worth getting...

As for demos, I played back the examples on the TT site and watched all the YouTube videos. Not as good as getting it in your mits, but it was enough for me.

>

Last edited by planetnine; 03-10-2012 at 05:05 AM.
planetnine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:36 AM   #8
sostenuto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Tom - I have EZD and Superior & find myself reaching for EZD as often as I do SD.
Mind you I also have Steven Slate4 Battery3 and a bunch of other drum romplers.

Each one has its strengths and weaknesses, but I "play" e-kit into them and find the TT stuff reacts as well as if not better than most others.
Didn't get on with AD sounds or interface & Jamstix3 is irrelevant for my purposes.
What were you expecting to be able to do in SD that you cant do in EZD, by the way?

Also I suspect you will find, as I did, that the Ocean Way stuff is quite limited in terms of adjustability compared to most of the others.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate your experience with these plugins. Will be short and not hijack the OP's Thread.

Finally getting it through my thick head that this is all about individual needs and tastes. 'Good' and 'bad' does not apply ...

Focused heavily on sound quality and not much at all on shaping and adjustability .... live play (simulating trio/quartet scenario) not mixing, production. Was/am hoping EZD could provide adequate samples and quality at a very attractive price. SD2 appears to have excellent adjustability and flexibility, just not sure how much I would use it. Access to TT SDX is more a reason I would go up to SD2.

Surprised and glad to hear your Ocean Way comment. Their video emphasizes adjustabilty to some extent and perhaps that is misleading.

Finally, did some extensive comparisons yesterday (AD Demo, JS3 Kits, TT Demo tracks) using same genres (Funk, Rock) and tempos. On my system, to my ears, TT sounded much closer to Jamstix and AD was noticeably different.
These are not my mainstream genres, but used for comparison as Jazz, Latin, Ballads, other Ethnic are not as available.

If I add a plugin now, tendency is TT but very undecided between EZD and SD2.

((Nathan)) __ Latin Percussion is an attractive pak as is the Jazz pak. SD has the flexibility and may well be the best long term choice even though EZD meets many current needs. Thanks for the comment.

Many thanks (will try to butt out of OP's topic)
Tom B
Old 03-10-2012, 10:41 AM   #9
ivansc

I bought, in this order,

EZD and the Nashville EZX

Superior

Latin Percussion EZX

Classic Rock EZX

Americana EZX.

The Cocktail kit supplied with EZD I have never used.
The Pop Rock kit supplied with EZD I use a fair bit.
The Classic kit and the Americana stuff is great for the more rootsy end of things.
The Latin perc. works really well with my Korg Nanopad in conjunction with the e-kit

Battery3 is used almost 100% for electronic kits and effects.

Steven Slate4 I have thus far only used for layering with TT kits but I can see it getting more use as I get accustomed to the sounds.

A cracker that I got for almost nothing is Splitsticks, btw. Rods and brushes done rather well.

I also have but never use the NI Kontakt4 stuff and Steven Slate3.5, simply because drums in Kontakt are a pain to do.
Oh and BFD2, which I bought on special to try it, I just cant get anything out that I like. And it doesnt like my Roland TD8 E-Kit for some reason.

Hope this helps some of you but remember I bought almost every one of these on special - watch out for the deals!
Old 03-10-2012, 11:05 AM   #10
Doughboy

Plane....Hi....well....I thought maybe that was it. The option was already checked, so I unchecked it. Then it wouldn't do anything. So I checked it again, now it's still doing what I posted about. DAAAAAAAMN IT!!!!

TFB I paid $39 for EZ drummer on a special. Then I've paid $39 apiece for 3 or 4 expansions. and $79 for one. I absolutely freakin' love EZD. However, when you buy it it comes with a Rock Pop kit, that personally I think sucks a huge hairy ass. But all of the other kits rock. Also, if you change the beater on the kick drum, and the snare drum (or the sticks on the snare drum) you get a much bigger sound.

but......I'm still boned here, I can't finish the song I'm working on because I can't hit the freakin' play button every time I want to try a roll and a new section. It's never done this to me before. But this is the first time I've tried creating a loop since I've bought this computer.

Any more ideas anyone?
Old 03-10-2012, 11:17 AM   #11
Doughboy

YAAAAAY......okay. Like I said, that box was already checked, so I unchecked it which didn't work, then I re checked it. Anyway, I just closed out the program, then decided to bring it up again. IT WORKS FINE NOW. WEIRD. I tried it on a new project and on an existing one. It's working fine. WOW...very strange.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:20 AM   #12
sostenuto

ivansc __ muy interesting .... noticed no SDX adds. If not that special, maybe EZD is first choice, along with various EZX.

Doughboy __ thanks for EZD info and tolerating the interrupt!
Best now for EZD is $60. but that's OK given adds at $33. Can get EZD/Latin/Jazz/ for $126.

Glad all is now working !!

Regards,
Tom B
Old 03-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #13
sostenuto

Hey guys ... since Doughboy is fixed ... gonna gamble you are still looking rather than start a wimpy new Thread.

How do I set Reaper MIDI tracks up to record multitrack (8)outputs to separate each Kit piece/element? I have Jamstix3 set up for its multitrack output and can record the 'combined' MIDI (and all audios) as expected. I have not been able to record individual MIDI tracks for Kick, Snare, etc.

Created 8 MIDI tracks and set Input MIDI on each one at 1, 2, ... 8. Reaper wants _ 1 => 1 _ or _ All => All _ but not sure how to set this up for multitrack drum Kits.

Going to Reaper Up and Running User Guide but could use some advice.

Thanks,
Tom B
Old 03-10-2012, 03:57 PM   #14
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFB37 View Post
Hey guys ... since Doughboy is fixed ... gonna gamble you are still looking rather than start a wimpy new Thread.

How do I set Reaper MIDI tracks up to record multitrack (8)outputs to separate each Kit piece/element? I have Jamstix3 set up for its multitrack output and can record the 'combined' MIDI (and all audios) as expected. I have not been able to record individual MIDI tracks for Kick, Snare, etc.

Created 8 MIDI tracks and set Input MIDI on each one at 1, 2, ... 8. Reaper wants _ 1 => 1 _ or _ All => All _ but not sure how to set this up for multitrack drum Kits.

Going to Reaper Up and Running User Guide but could use some advice.

Thanks,
Tom B

I put the VSTi in a folder track and the MIDI tracks as children to it. This triggers the VSTi from any MIDI in the folder (although I usually just program the MIDI for a drum line in one MIDI file these days).

I set the VSTi to output on various channels (usu 32 in total, often as 16 pairs), set the VSTi's track to have 32 channels.

I use audio send to take individual channels or pairs from the VSTi track to default (1&2) channels of new tracks for drum audio. So, if Kick is on channel 3 (my SD2 default) the send will read:
Send to track 18 "Kick", Audio 3 => 1&2, MIDI: None.

It is important to send the audio to a track outside the MIDI folder structure or REAPER will interpret this as a feedback loop and refuse to send anything (even though no MIDI is actually being sent, only audio) This has cooked my noodle on more than one occasion!

I send mono mic signals as single track channels and stereo as pairs (O
O/Heads, ambients) eg:
Send to track 25 "OHs", Audio 3 => 11&12, MIDI: None.

When I get a setup I like I save the VSTi as one of its own presets, and the REAPER structure as a projects file or a template.

I prefer to use REAPER to process individual drums, etc even with SD2, and I've actually been triggering SD2 (using MIDI) with Jamstix (which didn't seem to give me as much control over individual audio channel outs as SD2, although I didn't investigate that far), so I'm not much help for Jamstix audio outs .

>

Last edited by planetnine; 03-10-2012 at 04:06 PM.
planetnine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:03 PM   #15
sostenuto

You're great to help on this! Comfortable with Folders and will set up that way.

Ralph just responded on the Forum and confused me even more with comment about JS Kit editor. WTF is JS Kit editor? Sorry, but lots of time on this.

I will also follow your comment here (and recall it from earlier) about loading VSTi in same Track. This is different for me and I need to give it a try.

Regards,
Tom B
Old 03-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #16
jico27

Default EZD drum maps for Reaper

All is in the title,

Where can i find already made drum maps for reaper?
Especially for 'latin percussion' & 'EZXCocktail', 'Jazz'.

Thanks in advance
jico27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:16 PM   #17
Doughboy

as long as the threads still going....aaaaah.....now I'm stealing it...sorry, I'm broke again......it was working fine.....now it's doing the same thing again.

Also.....from time to time....EZD will just quit.....right in the middle of track that I have laid out on the track....it quits playing. However, if you look at the plugin, it shows the drum is working and it's reading the track, there just isn't any sound. All the other tracks keep right on playing there parts. I have to close the program and re open it, then all is well with that.

man is this frustrating.....I never had any problems like this before I upgraded computers, but, I can't see how this would be a computer problem.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:33 PM   #18
bharris

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFB37 View Post
ivansc __ muy interesting .... noticed no SDX adds. If not that special, maybe EZD is first choice, along with various EZX.

Doughboy __ thanks for EZD info and tolerating the interrupt!
Best now for EZD is $60. but that's OK given adds at $33. Can get EZD/Latin/Jazz/ for $126.

Glad all is now working !!

Regards,
Tom B
Hi Tom - where did you see EZXs for $33 apiece? Thanks!
bharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:01 PM   #19
sostenuto

audiodeluxe.com _ must sign in to see final price. I posted on TT Forum to ensure this is legitimate and was assured _ yes. Would advise any prospect to check for themselves, but seems fine.

Tom B
Old 03-14-2012, 01:35 AM   #20
ivansc

jico - a bunch of EZD maps in the stash.

Americana isn't there yet as it is relatively new (I just bought it for $29.99)but to be honest making drum maps for a specific EZX isn't rocket surgery - all you need is a map of the EZX (included in the dox) and a little patience to fill in the names.

And re the SDX kits, I decided I would rather have length than strength.
I am never going to be a shittot engineer, so went for a LOT of different sounds cheap, rather than a micromanageable one trick pony.

I like variety in my life.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:39 AM   #21
bharris

Thanks, Tom!!

In my quest to further drive the price down, can I ask you Ivan where you found Americana for $29.99?
Old 03-14-2012, 09:23 AM   #22
ivansc

All over, but IIR I ended up buying it from AudioMIDI.com

In any case if you ask them for it at that price I am sure they will price match. Assuming the deal I got is still going elsewhere.

Have to say Americana and the Classic kit are both rivalling Nashville for my go0to at present, although Nashville and SSD4s 60's kit layered together sounds wonderful. Hugely fat.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:25 AM   #23
bharris

Thanks!!