Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 07-09-2020, 07:32 PM   #1
FreezeLabs
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper, ASIO, and a Headphone Amp/DAC

Rather new one here.

I'm currently recording to Reaper from a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface. I'm looking at getting a nicer set of headphones and possibly an amp to hear my music a bit better.

Now, when my PC is plugged into the 2i2, it works great! When it's not plugged in, it can't find the drivers and will refuse to play any music. Normally that's ok.

Now though, that I want to get nicer headphones, I'd like to mix in a different place from my recording space. Ideally, I'd leave my 2i2 in the recording space, and have an Amp/DAC in my mixing space that supports my headphones and that Reaper can run ASIO off of.

Is there such a thing? am I completely off base with what tech does what? Any recommendations if it exists?

Sorry if I made any mistakes in the posting - still new here. Thanks for the help!
FreezeLabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:44 PM   #2
FreezeLabs

Turns out if I go into the AUDIO preferences and change it over to WASAPI it works just fine without the 2i2 plugged in.

If you end up in this thread, thanks again for taking a look, and feel free to add anything you want!
FreezeLabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:04 AM   #3
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezeLabs View Post
am I completely off base with what tech does what?
yeah, sounds like you might be - ASIO drivers are generally specific to a particular interface, so if you don't have the interface the drivers for it will not work, as you discovered.
If you are just mixing then the attributes of a dedicated interface (low latency & multiple inputs etc.) is probably not needed so you will probably be just fine using the general Windows drivers - ie WASAPI, Directsound or WaveOut - these should work with any interface or built-in soundcard.
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote