Old 02-04-2020, 11:32 AM   #1
BenK-msx
Human being with feelings

Default Anything like a lens flare effect?

As above? - have a hunch it could be done, would be handy..

Also wondering if a crude stabiliser could be achieved, the method that keeps certain area of similarity in centre frame and just moves x y and zooms to do so...

Tried using resolve to stabilise a clip and damn thing crashes, my Mac mini not enough gpu juice perhaps ..
Old 02-04-2020, 11:42 AM   #2
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
Tried using resolve to stabilise a clip and damn thing crashes, my Mac mini not enough gpu juice perhaps ..
Usually it's not enough GPU memory - 4GB is about the bare minimum, 8GB is the recommended minimum "IIRC".

I don't know the answer to the question via Reaper though.
Old 02-04-2020, 02:15 PM   #3
BenK-msx

Hoped the CPU could just crunch away and take a while..

Can't do squat about Mac mini gpu, maybe get a decent gpu card for my previous daw PC... expense if rather avoid.

Didn't want to go rabbit hole of using resolve when reaper does pretty good job, but the whole colour grade stuff etc. of resolve is indeed the shnizzle.

Working on painless studio-vibe videos for private students and also a promo of me being awesome at things edited together..

Crash course in lighting mostly!
Old 02-04-2020, 02:25 PM   #4
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
Hoped the CPU could just crunch away and take a while..
That would be nice ^that can happen in some cases (like plugins falling back to CPU if there isn't enough GPU memory) but the basic need requires enough GPU.

Quote:
Didn't want to go rabbit hole of using resolve when reaper does pretty good job, but the whole colour grade stuff etc. of resolve is indeed the shnizzle.
I get it. There's a threshold there where Reaper is perfectly fine, and slightly beyond that, perfectly fine but a little more work, then beyond the final threshold, just better to use something else. I stayed in Reaper until I passed that last threshold.

Quote:
Crash course in lighting mostly!
You can do an awful lot with a single cheap softbox combo and a reflector. Outside the cheap little RGB blue light that's behind/above as a hair light this is that same single light and reflector:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eHXSdFaq9I
Old 02-04-2020, 03:20 PM   #5
BenK-msx

Yeh for sure, I hoping to go get a good enough production value with minimal faff to focus on music..

Got lucky in that realised my dad's old canon dslr does decent hd & with indoor light and got a 250led panel that Dims and goes cool to warm, pretty good.

Spent a couple of weeks of trying things out, going ok.

That's a Nice tune & video.. b&w always works imo!
want to do short little things like that as a 'look what I can do' thing to show credentials. I hate doing that so figure will do it once on video and can forget about it.

Heres a little ' B-Roll ' test, figure can drop such things anywhere as and when..
Ignore audio, just stock YouTube kak

https://youtu.be/3g6iouXhP0Q
Old 02-04-2020, 03:30 PM   #6
karbomusic

That's a fine sexy looking SM58 there.

One nitpick I remember about Reaper video is I don't remember there being much in the way of color correction - there is a preset you can vaguely adjust color but it's only good for rough balances. If you take special care and really nail a custom WB in camera you can usually get around that to an extent.
Old 02-04-2020, 05:23 PM   #7
BenK-msx

well a Beta 58a - even sexier (a bit)!

Unfortunately pa sold his canon macro lens so I can't do moody close ups.. maybe my Sony cam can manage with enough light.

The colour tweak fx is ok for e.g de reddening shadows etc but clearly resolve can do nuts things like match a bunch of clips easy.

Get there eventually.. taa
Old 03-03-2020, 06:15 PM   #8
BenK-msx

got some thing sort of close to a lens flare with the blitter preset zoomed quite a lot and low alpha - (noticable on mic grille 13 or so seconds in) coming up with as much B-roll as i can.. this also has a pixelated and moving around randomly (with parm mod) copy of itself blended in to add a bit of noise. turns out my sony with good light is perfectly good.

this is with a motorised dolly gizmo i grabbed cheap - $30 ish and a touch of stabilising i got to work once.

why not see a couple more: my trusty trumpet -UPCLOSE

bit of improv on the keyboard - designed to impress potential students - normally keep that sh*t to myself, but i want their business. check out the snazzy tracking shot!
made tricky for playing as a large plank of wood was straddled just above my hands and camera in sight line. got a shot eventually.

the old 'cam attached to guitar' number:
again, quickly shows joe on the street i can somewhat ' play ' guitar - amazing what can be communicated in a few seconds..

soon all this will go in one snappy vid.. thats the idea anyway. is nice to use reaper as obviously very used to its methods even if the fx and tweaks are a bit limited.

Last edited by BenK-msx; 03-03-2020 at 06:31 PM.
BenK-msx is offline   Reply With Quote