Old 11-27-2019, 01:51 PM   #1
Reefius
Human being with feelings

Default ReaInsert weirdness

I'm getting some weird behaviour when using ReaInsert to play a hardware synth.
I set up ReaInsert and it's working fine, but when I switch to another track and then back to the track with ReaInsert, it suddenly has like half a second of latency.

If I then start playback, the latency is gone, until I switch to another track again and back, then I need to stop and restart playback to get rid of the latency.

Also, if I switch to another track while audio is still playing I hear some crackles.

Is there any way to stop this behaviour?

Edit: I just found another way to remove the latency, by disabling and re-enabling ReaInsert. Still very annoying issue.

Last edited by Reefius; 11-27-2019 at 02:03 PM.
Reefius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 08:05 AM   #2
SonicAxiom

In order to facilitate tracking down your issue you should provide as many potentially relevant info/specs about your system as possible (OS, audio device, Reaper version, etc.). Crackles might hint at the audio device's buffer size being set too low or an outdated audio device driver.

Old 11-28-2019, 12:09 PM   #3
Reefius

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAxiom View Post
In order to facilitate tracking down your issue you should provide as many potentially relevant info/specs about your system as possible (OS, audio device, Reaper version, etc.). Crackles might hint at the audio device's buffer size being set too low or an outdated audio device driver.

It's definitely not the audio buffer size, because I have absolutely no issues in other DAWs like Cubase and Ableton Live.

These are my system specs:
Intel i7-8700, 16GB RAM, Steinberg UR44 audio interface running at 48kHz and buffer size of 128, Windows 10 1909 64 bit.

I'm using the latest RC of Reaper 6, but the problem also occurred with Reaper 5.

I think the crackles are because the moment I switch to another track, the track with ReaInsert suddenly has this huge latency. Once this latency started, I can switch back and forth between tracks without crackles (probably because the latency stays the same after that).
It's like deselecting the track disables something, resulting in this massive latency. Starting playback or disabling/enabling ReaInsert immediately removes the latency, until the track is deselected again.
Old 11-28-2019, 12:23 PM   #4
SonicAxiom

looking at the specs, your pc and interface should easily handle the load. I'm using ReaInsert with no latency issues or glitches with the current Reaper release. I never have to stop and resume playback in order to make playback smooth.

Have you tried opening the project in a clean, portable Reaper install (maybe official release) to see if the issue persists?

Old 11-28-2019, 12:27 PM   #5
Reefius

OK, I found the problem, I needed to disable Anticipative FX Processing (see screenshot).
I don't know if this is something that's enabled by default or if I enabled it manually in the past, but anyway the latency is now gone and I can happily use my hardware synths now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reaper.jpg (61.0 KB, 98 views)
Old 11-28-2019, 01:07 PM   #6
SonicAxiom

congratulations! This setting is on by default. It's generally considered to be advantageous for overall performance. You may wanna see what happens if you re-enable Anticipative FX Processing globally and then disable it only in the track(s) that hosts ReaInsert (via the track's context menu).

Old 11-28-2019, 01:19 PM   #7
Reefius

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAxiom View Post
You may wanna see what happens if you re-enable Anticipative FX Processing globally and then disable it only in the track(s) that hosts ReaInsert (via the track's context menu).
This also seems to work, thank you! I didn't know it could be disabled per track.
Old 11-28-2019, 01:32 PM   #8
SonicAxiom

you're welcome! I switched to Reaper in 2012 and have been using it every day since then. There hasn't been a single day without discovering a stunning new detail with this software in those 7 years.