Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 11-10-2006, 07:11 PM   #1
papapill
Human being with feelings

Default LOCKING UP/LATENCY on 2 different systems/DAW

Hi.
I have a MOTU 828 mk2 on a Amd 4400 NF-4 chipset w/ 2gigs ram. It is constantly freezing and locking up. This is happening running only 2 tracks, very aggravating. It locks up with the play button lit but no playback. I have to shut the MOTU off and on to regain the ASIO driver. I also have to run the ASIO buffer really hi.. I use this machine at home in my controll room.

At the studio I have two Layla-24 cards on a P4 Extreme HT 3.2 intel chipset w/ 2gigs ram. It is recording all 16 tracks at once fine. My only problem is it locks up periodically. Only differnt than the other machine, when it locks the sound just buzzes like an alarm is going off till I restart Reaper. It completely crashes Reaper.
I love everything about Reaper. Aaron is one of my heroes so when he told me to stop using Sonar I did, It took me a while but I did. I want to buy reaper but I cant seem to get it to run on either system good enough to count on it. Both systems are rinning Win-XP Pro, fresh install. I am not running any plugs etc yet. I was able to run too many plugins to list here with Sonar with 24 tracks. I know I dont know the ins and outs of Reaper yet so I am remaining patient. I posted about my MOTU a week or so ago but no reply as of yet.
any help is appreciated.
papapill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 09:52 PM   #2
Justin
Administrator

Do you have MIDI inputs/outputs or control surfaces configured?

-Justin
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 10:33 AM   #3
papapill

yes, Midi is configured but I am not using a controll surface
Old 11-11-2006, 11:08 AM   #4
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by papapill View Post
yes, Midi is configured but I am not using a controll surface

try disabling the midi hardware and see if that helps..
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 10:14 PM   #5
papapill

hey Justin! first i want to thank you for your help!
On machine 1. I was able to get the layla drivers to smooth out ....its running great. I just reset the default Reaper config and started over. I also realized there was no word clock cord connecting the 2 laylas. I am not sure this was the problem but the owner of the cards says it used to be plugged in.

on my motu.
I tried the same as above . I have disabled my MOBO soundcard and tried enabling midi and disabling midi with no success. I still have the same prob. I am running a lower buffer but The ASIO driver still locks up until I power off or mess with the setup button a bit. I am going thru the slowest MOTU support in the world! I get a email ever two weeks or so telling me to do the most basic silly instructions. It PISSES ME OFF! They really suck as far as tech support goes. well if u think of anything else let me know.
thanks
Old 11-12-2006, 03:52 AM   #6
papapill

I am sure you already knew this. I did have to have the Layla 24's sync'ed thru word clock. I know some cards can do this internal but layla 24's need the cable. Also I must say,
Even tho this card is a bit older than my motu, I am very ipressed with it the sound quality. Its great if you already have nice pre's, the conversion seamed to be quality at my first impression. I like the MOTU a bit more If it would just stop locking up I would see if I could sync the layla 24's with it.
I hope MOTU will replace this sucker!