Old 12-13-2019, 12:02 PM   #1
mykrobinson
Human being with feelings

Default Auto Stretch Feature?

Any of you able to explain like I'm five how to work the new Auto Stretch Items time option works?

i watched a youtube video where a guy manually inserted markers on some out of time guitars, converted the markers to tempo markers to make a sort of tempo map, then changed the timebase to autostretch.

He then moved the items back into the earlier part of the project and everything sounded in the proper time. Seemed like a great way to do some minor guitar editing.

I tried this myself and my results were less than stellar. I think he may have misspoken, or I may have misunderstood, regarding marker placement. Should marker placement be per quarter note? I could have sword he said per bar in the video.

Here's the video in question if anyone has any insight on this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7JSxF60ezo

thanks
mykrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 12:47 PM   #2
foxAsteria

I think he said per bar and them put them per beat.

Basically, when you turn on autostretch, it will add fake (uneditable) stretch markers wherever there's an existing tempo marker. So you just need to add some project markers at the major transients for it to work.

Seems pretty nifty but I'm not sure yet if it will speed up my workflow.

EDIT: Actually I'm rather more confused now than when I first tried it. I'm not entirely sure how it works.... But if I turn on auto stretch and say No to the dialog (add fake stretch markers), I can move the item around a tempo mapped project and the rate stays the same, transients stay on beat. Otherwise Reaper just tries to get the length right and doesn't care about the timing relationships inside the item, so just changes the rate/length.

If the timing inside the item is all good, you don't need the step of adding tempo markers though. That seems to be only necessary for loosely played items (to let Reaper know where the beats should be).

Last edited by foxAsteria; 12-13-2019 at 01:00 PM.
foxAsteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 01:18 PM   #3
Cooker

You place them like stretch markers but (as far as I understand) rather than stretching the audio its using playback engine (like as if automating metronome speed to another fixed metronome).
Cooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 02:00 PM   #4
Cooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
I think I found the issue; first from "item settings-time base to beats" must be selected then "convert project markers to tempo". Probably the guy who made the video pre-selected that so the order of things messed up.
Cooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 04:59 PM   #5
foxAsteria

Yea that's worth noting but my project timebase is usually set to that so if I don't set timebase for items or tracks, it will use the project timebase. Except this new timebase is exclusive to items.