Old 04-28-2020, 11:24 PM   #1
Hafer
Human being with feelings

Default Lazy evaluation of FXChains

(1) Let's assume, I want to choose from a pool of templates for orchestral instruments whenever I start a new project. Could be achieved either by track templates or by FX chains or a combination of both.

(2) Let further assume that my templates should not only contain the VSTinstruments but also some fx (EQ, COMP, whatever) - and while being the VSTi different for each template (of course), the fx (EQ, COMP, whatever) are always the same. Could be achieved either by track templates or by FX chains or a combination of both, too.

(3) Now let's assume that I'm a bit undecided now and then and - while sticking to the VSTinstruments - just want to alter the fx for the sake of taste or new gained knowledge (e.g. adding a GATE) for all templates.
Having used track templates or FX Chains or a combination of both, I would be pressed to edit each of those templates individually.
Messy task if I've really lots of templates.

Putting FX chains into folders aren't a solution, because this doesn't allow track-specific tweaking in a given project.

So my question is: Is there a way to specify a FX chain within a track template, which will be "lazy evaluated", that is, evaluated not before the track template is used in a new project?
Example: Today my standard fx chain is EQ and COMP with given tweaking and all my orchestral track templates use it. Let's call this fx chain is saved as MY_BLOODY_STANDARD.
Tomorrow, however, I want for whatever reason to add GATE to all my orchestral track templates and to achieve that, the only thing I have to edit is MY_BLOODY_STANDARD.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Hafer; 04-28-2020 at 11:27 PM. Reason: yet another typo
Hafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 04:10 AM   #2
Hafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3o View Post
Yes many...but am assuming you like to tinker with stuff and not actually end up do anything with it all?
Consider me a lucky man. I just met the forum buffoon ...
Old 04-29-2020, 05:13 AM   #3
Goldreap

I think you're asking "If I change and re-save (same name) an FX chain, is there a way to have the saved state carry over to any project templates that were set up with the original chain?".
I just tested this and as expected looks like the project template just recalls the configuration and settings etc but doesn't refer to the FX chain per se.
I don't know of any way to change this.
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 06:15 AM   #4
Hafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldreap View Post
I think you're asking "If I change and re-save (same name) an FX chain, is there a way to have the saved state carry over to any project templates that were set up with the original chain?".
Yes, that's why I called it "lazy evaluation". The idea is to have the name of a FX chain as a placeholder which is replaced/filled with it's definition only when used in a project through some track or project template. Once replaced/filled the FX chain remains stable, of course.

Several years ago I stumbled upon that concept in some programming language, where function names (not their value!) could be passed via variable and evaluated later.

Thanks for your inquiry and experiments, very much appreciated.