Old 12-18-2015, 11:12 PM   #1
Ice
Human being with feelings

Default Rewire in PT11

Reaper 5.1
PT11.2.2

This is not for VI but for sync audio in Reaper. Ultimately I'm trying to get to surround, but am starting with just trying to get stereo to work.

SOME parts are working..... I can engage the transport in either PT or Reaper fine. Selections in either are reflected in the other, I can change the BPM in either, but for the life of me can't hear anything. I have audio on a track in Reaper, and by all counts it should be coming up in PT.

Both PT and Reaper are running at 48k and 23.976fps. However the Transport Counter area flashes red when its moving so I assume that means some sync issue is occurring? Or does that just mean Reaper is in slave mode?

I've tried every pair of channels in the PT Rewire Plugin with no change. I see no audio in any meters in Reaper.

Is there a step by step guide anywhere? I see lots of videos, but most start halfway through and say the same types of things. I've got it hooked up but there is clearly something missing here.
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 02:11 AM   #2
Ice

I found something that at least explains whats happening, but I can't figure out why.

Its some sort of clocking error somewhere.

As I said, the session's SR and frame rates match, or at least they REPORT they do.

If I hit play, both transports play, but in Reaper the transport flashes red. IF I move the playrate slider around, the red stops flashing and audio will play for a few moments, BUT its trying to play everything back at something like half speed with pitch correction on. For those few moments I hear audio through PT, so the audio routing is correct. But its super hashy like its stretched way too far.

Setting the session playrate to 1.0 doesn't correct anything and it sounds the same no matter where on the playrate slider its set. All moving that seems to do is trick Reaper into thinking its locked for a few moments.

Somewhere there's a clocking feedback loop or something but I haven't found it yet.

Any ideas??
Old 08-16-2017, 01:55 PM   #3
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
I found something that at least explains whats happening, but I can't figure out why.

Its some sort of clocking error somewhere.

As I said, the session's SR and frame rates match, or at least they REPORT they do.

If I hit play, both transports play, but in Reaper the transport flashes red. IF I move the playrate slider around, the red stops flashing and audio will play for a few moments, BUT its trying to play everything back at something like half speed with pitch correction on. For those few moments I hear audio through PT, so the audio routing is correct. But its super hashy like its stretched way too far.

Setting the session playrate to 1.0 doesn't correct anything and it sounds the same no matter where on the playrate slider its set. All moving that seems to do is trick Reaper into thinking its locked for a few moments.

Somewhere there's a clocking feedback loop or something but I haven't found it yet.

Any ideas??

Hi did you find any work around for this? I am doing the same currently. All works fine except the 5.1 rewire from reaper. I hear Stereo just fine. If I open a surround project in reaper in standalone mode it works fine. But if I set up reaper as a 5.1 instrument in protools I am not getting any signals in any other track apart from Left and right channels. Infact I noticed that reaper is not sending 5.1 signal into protools in rewire mode. The same reaper project works fine in surround in rewire mode. Any ideas how to fix this? Please help
svijayrathinam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:28 PM   #4
Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by svijayrathinam View Post
Hi did you find any work around for this? I am doing the same currently. All works fine except the 5.1 rewire from reaper. I hear Stereo just fine. If I open a surround project in reaper in standalone mode it works fine. But if I set up reaper as a 5.1 instrument in protools I am not getting any signals in any other track apart from Left and right channels. Infact I noticed that reaper is not sending 5.1 signal into protools in rewire mode. The same reaper project works fine in surround in rewire mode. Any ideas how to fix this? Please help
I'm sorry but I didn't find any fixes. I gave up on it a long time ago. Its a bummer because it would really help me. I spent far too much time on it, hit a brick wall, and had to stop fooling around with it.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:59 PM   #5
Ice

Quote:
I'm sorry but I didn't find any fixes. I gave up on it a long time ago. Its a bummer because it would really help me. I spent far too much time on it, hit a brick wall, and had to stop fooling around with it.
I decided to give it another go. I'm still just trying to get stereo to work and had better luck today. I just wanted to add one thing here that was certainly tripping me up today. There was a huge offset error in the timelines between Pro Tools and Reaper. The fix was:

in PT go to:

Event > Time Operations > Move Song Start

Make sure the value matches the current position displayed in PT and click apply. This fixed a substantial offset error I was having. I can't tell if this was part of the problem I was having before. I didn't create this PT session I'm using and have not idea how or when this offset was inserted.

But someone may stumble across this issue someday. Hope this helps!

NOTE - I'm thinking of this for Post Production work, but basically wherever the song start marker is in the Pro Tools session, is where the very START of the Reaper session will begin. If you go to the start of the Reaper session, PT will locate to wherever the song start marker is placed in PT.

Last edited by Ice; 08-16-2017 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:25 AM   #6
Ice

Adding to this as I'm having some success in stereo mode finally.

But for surround, I think in PT we may have to open up multiple stereo instances of Reaper Rewire and choose different pairs of outputs. At a quick test that seemed to work for me. So for 5.1 we'd need 3 stereo auxes with a different set of Reaper channels selected in each Rewire instance.

Or probably even better, mono Rewire channels. The LFE would be easier to route direct to the LFE this way.

Last edited by Ice; 08-17-2017 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:08 AM   #7
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Adding to this as I'm having some success in stereo mode finally.

But for surround, I think in PT we may have to open up multiple stereo instances of Reaper Rewire and choose different pairs of outputs. At a quick test that seemed to work for me. So for 5.1 we'd need 3 stereo auxes with a different set of Reaper channels selected in each Rewire instance.

Or probably even better, mono Rewire channels. The LFE would be easier to route direct to the LFE this way.
This worked very well...!! But PT doesn't seem to like it that much... I edited fx and backgrounds in 5.1 in reaper and took the tracks directly to the mix stage and tried to run in from reaper rewired...And boy!! Protools really hates this!! Whenever I hit save in PT the audio coming out of reaper would just produce a stutter kind of effect !! But bear in mind... It's not reaper's problem but it's protools that is doing it...
svijayrathinam is offline   Reply With Quote