Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 10-11-2011, 09:47 AM   #1
sostenuto
Human being with feelings

Default Is Stylus RMX My Best Drum/Percussion Source w/Reaper ?

Reaper 4.1, Omnisphere, adding Vsti drum/percussion for backing to play keyboard live with. Stylus RMX is far more powerful than I foresee needing, but the compatibility/similarity with Omnisphere seems to make it a 'no-brainer'. I am a capable keyboardist, but absolutely incompetent to write drum programs. Very heavy bias to Jazz, Latin genres so most software (loops, grooves) are far from a a good fit.
Cost is always a factor, but by the time I add Extenders (eg. EZEDrummer Jazz, Latin) cost ends up close to Stylus.

I guess I'm looking for any 'strong' pushes or pulls from Reaper users who much prefer a specific Vsti in preference to Stylus RMX. Otherwise I'm ready to hit the 'Order' button .... even though there is a long list of needed REX grooves/loops to further drain my wallet ..........

Thanks,
Tom B
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:18 AM   #2
sostenuto

So much to learn ... and already identified products like Brush Artistry, Latin Jazz, Brush Artistry 2, Suite Grooves 2, but I need REX conversion utility to audition and record these in Reaper ... right ??
Otherwise I'm locked into EZEDrummer/Superior Drummer and their extenders?

I'm an old school pianist with many books and arrangements ... Shearing, Brubeck, some Kenton. Also Billy Joel, Manilow, Shirley Horn, Streisand ....
Great enjoyment to play these anytime, but really miss creating the classic trio sounds, etc.

Tom B

Last edited by sostenuto; 10-11-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:51 PM   #3
bluzkat

Selecting a drum program was a difficult (and expensive) choice for me. I eventually landed on BFD2. Try the demos (if they are available) and figure out what works best for you. Sorry this is not much help.

But just so you know Reaper has full REX support.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:50 PM   #4
sostenuto

Really good to have some help with this! I will follow thru with BFD2, although first pass suggests some ability to lay down drum tracks to take advantage of the great vintage sounds. (( Oops! just read about the Groove engine and >5000 patterns to use and modify, etc.)) Cool !

..... and NO, I do not understand Reaper's REX support although I'm guessing it is as solid as most other Reaper capabilities. I will check the User Manual and also (hopefully) Kenny G's tutorials to learn how to bring in REX loops and record them.

Many thanks at this critical decision point,
Tom B

Last edited by sostenuto; 10-11-2011 at 03:58 PM. Reason: correction
Old 10-11-2011, 07:24 PM   #5
sostenuto

Please help me understand what seems a key issue involving REX files which are critical to focusing on the Jazz and Latin genres.

I am believing that Stylus RMX is capable of importing and converting REX files which can then be manipulated easily (Simplify, Chaos, Groovelock, Time Signature) while retaining the full quality of the file. If I convert REX files in Reaper, won't I lose much of that flexibility (especially given my total lack of skill to program drum/percussion tracks)?

Also, when I checked specifications of BFD2, it stated 'No' for REX files.

I know someone here can straighten me out and clear up any misunderstandings. No way to 'trial' these programs, so it feels like a sizeable gamble without some capable user help ...........

Tom B

Last edited by sostenuto; 10-12-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:16 PM   #6
sostenuto

Oh well .... Stylus RMX just arrived and ready to install. Seems like a fine choice and looking forward to some great sounds.

Tom B
Old 10-12-2011, 12:41 PM   #7
Argle

RMX is amazing, but I dunno if it's the best resource for jazz and latin. It does have various percussion, not sure about jazz drums. You can always get 3rd party REX loops, though.
Argle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:52 PM   #8
sostenuto

Good to hear. I'm not expecting too much in those genres, but more fine REX loops out there now.

Thanks,
Tom B