Old 01-06-2016, 12:06 PM   #1
Kenny Gioia
Human being with feelings

Default Sub Projects in REAPER - Video Tutorial

Made a video showing how to use Sub Projects.

Sub Projects in REAPER

Thanks for the support.
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 02:46 PM   #2
planetnine

It might be an idea to add workflows like dragging a project into another project to use as a sub, Kenny. Bit convoluted how you demonstrated subprojects here, you could have show both methods so the user can decide what suits their workflow...

Great delivery as usual, but felt I had to mention this.

>
Old 01-06-2016, 02:52 PM   #3
musicbynumbers

Nice, I'll go check the video asap.

Also, If any of you guys reading this use subprojects a lot. Please go and comment and vote on feature requests in the link below so we can convince Justin to add some very useful additions!

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=170851
Old 01-06-2016, 03:28 PM   #4
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post
It might be an idea to add workflows like dragging a project into another project to use as a sub, Kenny.

>
Not sure what you mean. Isn't that what I did?
Old 01-07-2016, 01:56 AM   #5
Jeffsounds

Thank you, Kenny, for ALL of your recent additions. Great job as usual!
Old 01-07-2016, 02:39 AM   #6
Garrick

I always like your vids Kenny but I also think you could have structured it a bit differently.

Been that there are numerous ways of using this feature, you could have cut to the chase by first showing the feature in its most basic form, which is, IMO, selecting tracks, right click/send to subproject. After that, the various uses.

It's a tricky feature to showcase because of its many uses.

It can tidy up items with many takes(like you showed), plus be used like reasons blocks, and looped, save system resources, great for muilti out vsti like drums etc.....
Garrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 02:56 AM   #7
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Not sure what you mean. Isn't that what I did?

Alternative workflow to your demo: load or create the "master" project and then drag the RPP project file of your bed track (sub) into it.

You can also use Insert - Insert media file, and then choose an RPP instead of media to use that RPP as a subproject.

Same result, just looking at it from the other end

Edit: ...and what Garrick says too; show it at it's simplest, then expand to other ways to invoke and use it -which will be consistent with your usual excellent tutorial methods.

There's a whole bunch of eager beavers here getting to grips with how to integrate this in our workflows, I'm sure you'll have lots of suggestions...

>

Last edited by planetnine; 01-07-2016 at 03:12 AM.
planetnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 02:21 PM   #8
Spacemen Tree

No complaints here, but I am not struggling with the concept. I can understand others might.
I can however empathize with the above on "the various uses" thing. I'm always after every insight possible into others way of working. I'm curious like that.

Still, all in all, up to the usual Kenny standards.

Thanks
Old 01-08-2016, 06:04 AM   #9
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemen Tree View Post
I'm always after every insight possible into others way of working. I'm curious like that.
This thread has some good examples of uses

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=168985
Old 01-08-2016, 11:22 AM   #10
Paul99

Thank you Kenny!
Paul99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:28 PM   #11
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
It might be an idea to add workflows like dragging a project into another project to use as a sub, Kenny. Bit convoluted how you demonstrated subprojects here, you could have show both methods so the user can decide what suits their workflow...

Great delivery as usual, but felt I had to mention this.

>
I agree.

See if you like this one better

Sub Projects in REAPER

Thanks for motivating me.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:58 AM   #12
planetnine

Sorry, only just got to see this, but that's much better now.

Much clearer, much more informative. Thank you for listening Kenny.

>
Old 01-22-2016, 08:53 AM   #13
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Sorry, only just got to see this, but that's much better now.

Much clearer, much more informative. Thank you for listening Kenny.

>
Thank you.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:17 AM   #14
Tod

Thanks Kenney, that was great, and I agree with pn, much better.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 01:02 PM   #15
midiman007

Quote:
I agree.

See if you like this one better

Sub Projects in REAPER

Thanks for motivating me.
Thanks Kenny for your free videos and helping me understand how to get my
head around the awesome DAW Reaper.
midiman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:28 PM   #16
emid

Thanks a lot Kenny. Being new to Reaper I have learned a lot in a very short time by watching your videos. You have done a huge favour to me which I cannot return.

Sorry for being opportunistic but while we are at it, can I ask if this 'project to project' thing could be done in Reaper http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=180219 . Many thanks again.
emid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:32 AM   #17
Marquez

Hi Kenny, Hi guys,

first of all - Kenny, thank you so much for your efforts and helping the Reaper community. BTW: I bought most of your Mixing Tutorials on Groove3 - two thumbs up!!!

One question regarding the sub-projects (just dived into that subject):

The way I understand the sub project concept, it only makes sense using that option when you have EVERYTHING (and that would include FX-Returns & Parallel Tracks) in one folder. Is that right?

I am always using a template as I donīt wanna bring in FX and Parallel tracks when Iīm in mixing or writing mode.

So when I move tracks to a subproject I will get a "dry" project. If I did select all Sends as well, itīd be quite tricky and time consuming to select those tracks too & if I did create further sub-projects from the master projects - all sends would multiply when I re-open.

Is there something Iīm not seeing/understanding?

Would you say, itīs better to avoid sub-projects when working with templates? Or would there be a workaround?

Thanks so much -

Marquez
Marquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:18 AM   #18
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquez View Post

The way I understand the sub project concept, it only makes sense using that option when you have EVERYTHING (and that would include FX-Returns & Parallel Tracks) in one folder. Is that right?
Actually. No. The folder I was using was unecessary. The Sub Project feauture will simply bounce the whole project with or without folders. Sorry for the confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquez View Post
So when I move tracks to a subproject I will get a "dry" project.
Yes. That is 100% correct.

Look at it like this.

Imagine that you bounced or rendered Project A to a stereo file and created a New Project (Project B) and imported that file onto one track in Project B.

That's what you've got. The ONLY difference is that the bounced or rendered file now remembers where it came from. So you can double-click it at any time, go back to Project A, tweak and save it, and go back to Project B and the changes are already made.

Before Sub Projects you would have to re-render everything manually and remember where everything was.

Hope that makes things clearer.

Thanks
Old 08-12-2016, 12:03 PM   #19
Marquez

Thanks Kenny :-)
Old 09-01-2016, 12:09 AM   #20
Marquez

Hi guys,

for the ones of you interested in using sub projects the way I needed it, I found a cool solution:

I had to create music to picture (documentary) and I wanted a "global movie" project instead of countless single projects for the cues. I wanted to wrap up one cue as a sub project when I was done, so I could do the whole thing in this one project.

Problem was that (see previous posts) my sends wouldnīt be wrapped inside the sub project.

That can be solved with shuffling ALL tracks but the movie track in a "Master Folder". Then select the master folder and use "move tracks to new sub project. Important: FX Returns and Parallel track have to be in that "Master Folder".

But since youīd have your FX grouped in one way or another anyway, thatīs no big deal.

BTW:
I now re-structured my mix template in that way where all goes into a "Stereo Bus Folder" then in a "Master Folder". Itīs great because it leaves the Reaper Master track clean since your Stereo Bus or Master FX are now on a folder. That way you can bring reference tracks inside that project and they wonīt be affected by the FX because they run straight into the clean Reaper Master track.

And later you can also freeze the Stereo Bus folder and shuffle that track on the master folder, so you can go to a "classic mastering environment" inside the project as well.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:07 AM   #21
drichard

Outstanding. I'm relatively new to Reaper, and your videos have helped me immeasurably.

I had no idea the sub-project concept was so powerful, or so easy. The uses for mastering and video are two terrific examples.

Again, thanks!

Quote:

Sub Projects in REAPER

Thanks for the support.
drichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 01:48 AM   #22
betamax

I think it's important to know that editing subprojects doesn't work the way presented in this great video, unless you disable "Copy imported media into project directory" under preferences - otherwise Reaper creates imported versions of the subprojects, and editing those doesn't affect the original project. It is described in this thread http://forums.cockos.com/showthread....881&styleid=12
betamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 02:19 AM   #23
mschnell

Moreover, the video very correctly puts a lot of stress upon the usefullness of subprojects to organize your tracks. It also mentions that subprojects can be use to save CPU when working on complex stuff, but for Kenny this does not seem to be the main reason to promote the use of subporojects.

This makes me even more sure that the "Realtime" flavor of subprojects pointed out in this thread -> http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=187214 is a very decent request.

Here, a subproject is not pre-rendered and hence no CPU is saved, but when switching between the main and the Sub-Project you don't need to wait for the subproject to get rendered.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 03-05-2017 at 04:53 AM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 05:11 PM   #24
Philbo King

Quote:

Sub Projects in REAPER

Thanks for the support.
Very nicely done. This cleared up a lot of confusion for me.

I do wonder about the way files and folders are affected. Does using 'copy media' duplicate the subproject files used into the parent folder, leaving the original subproject intact? Or do changes you make in a subproject actually change stuff in the original copy.
I'd like to know, mostly so I know what files & folders to copy when saving my work to an archive.
Thanks again for your great work!

PS I see the answer a couple posts up... neva mind..
Philbo King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 07:58 PM   #25
Jeffsounds

Wow! Has it REALLY been over a year now since sub-projects made its debut????
Old 09-21-2018, 08:37 AM   #26
aUnTyBiOtIc

Default Parent / sub projects

Hello all, I have started using sub projects with a parent to keep my projects clutter free and to keep cpu overheads down when using lots of plugins. When i first started doing it, the sub project would automatically open whenever i opened the parent project but now all of a sudden the sub project will not open automatically and i have to add a new project tab and open it manually. one i have done this however, the sub is still linked to the parent and still renders the audio correctly. i am not sure what i did to cause the subs not to auto open upon opening the parent. any ideas anyone? yours gratefully, mark
aUnTyBiOtIc is offline   Reply With Quote