Old 09-04-2018, 11:04 AM   #1
aleksi1
Human being with feelings

Default Recording MIDI output & overdub?

Hi!

Is it somehow possible to record MIDI output while also having it in the overdub mode? The overdub is essential to my workflow, but I'd also need to be able to control the velocity response of my secondary (mobile) keyboard, that has a very different velocity response than my primary one. I've been using the JS MIDI tool v2 for the velocity control, but it doesn't actually affect the "raw" velocities unless I record the MIDI output. I'd like to specifically control the raw velocities, to be able to easily swap the keyboard I'm working with.

If that's impossible, I'd also be happy if there's a way to automatically "scale" the selected velocities in the piano roll by a desired amount (I know I could just drag them down with the mouse, but it's just offsetting, not scaling). Or to somehow "print" the Midi Tool v2 values to the original velocities.

Any tips? I'm quite stuck with this...
aleksi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 12:25 PM   #2
Tod

Have you tried to set up two midi tracks, one with "Overdub" and the other to "record the output midi".

For example Track-1 is setup to record midi "overdub". Track-2 is setup to record the output midi. Track-1 has a midi send to track-2. Put them both in record and they should both record at the same time.

I doubt that's what you want, you probably want to record straight to one track with both "overdub" and "record output", but I don't think it can be done.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 05:36 AM   #3
aleksi1

Thanks for the idea, Tod! Yeah, that's not optimal for me, I really want to be able to just record stuff directly to one midi item on one track. Pity if it can't be done with the MIDI output

Seems like it wouldn't be too complicated of a feature to add, though. Ah, one can hope...
Old 09-05-2018, 06:12 AM   #4
Michael AD

Watch this video from Kenny called Free Item Positioning.

Near the end he shows a technique that allows you to record a Midi item, then overdub onto it in the same track. And you will have both your overdub and the original available for further editing/processing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy12cfTWBPE
Michael AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:58 PM   #5
LugNut

Ho,
Or maybe use the velocity control as an input fx?
LugNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:39 AM   #6
aleksi1

Wow, the input fx works! Thank you very much for the idea, LugNut! That works like a charm I already gave up hope, but now that'll make my life a lot easier.

Thanks to Michael also! I didn't know about the free item positioning option and it'll come handy in other cases.