Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 05-13-2007, 03:09 PM   #1
drumist69
Human being with feelings

Default Is this the best way to import from other software?

Hi all! I have a project which I began in Kristal, due to the fact that I'm a dumbass and had a crucial setting wrong in Reaper when we tried the song first (not important, all good now!). So now, I have a working demo of a few guitar tracks, a drum machine beat, a couple tracks lead vocal, and 3 or 4 backing vocal parts, all of these with different effects.

Would I be better off exporting each track as a wav file from KAE with all effects and eq, panning, etc intact...or would I be better off exporting them without that stuff, and replicate it once in Reaper? Seems like option 2 would be much more time consuming, but would give more flexibility in the long run.

We'll be adding live drums to the song, and bass, probably a bunch more stuff, so we're about to hit KAE's track limit, otherwise I'd leave it there. Is there any easier way to get these tracks into Reaper than what I mentioned above? Thanks! Andy
Old 05-15-2007, 06:54 PM   #2
Mc UB

I would definitely go for the option of exporting your tracks without FX and recreate them in Reaper.

Might take a little longer, though not very much I gather, but you're right: it leaves you with much more flexibility in the end. Especially if you plan to add to the tracks with other stuff. You can then aply FX that sit wel in the whole mix.

If you've recorded other stuff on top of it and THEN you find out that particular FX on that particular -earlier- track is not sitting right with the whole mix, you'ld have to re-export from KAE at that time, which is much more disruptive to your workflow.

[edit]I dunno if this is possible, but you could look into Rewiring or ReaRouting the audio from KAE straight into Reaper? But I dunno if that can be done.

Hope this is helpfull, good luck!
Mc UB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:16 PM   #3
drumist69

Thanks Mc UB! I'll look into the reawire or rearouting options. It would be cool to do this without having to go through the process of exporting 11 tracks and reconfiguring their effects once on Reaper. Should be a fun few nights! Andy