Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 12-02-2018, 09:48 AM   #1
pderbidge
Human being with feelings

Default Gatekeeper users- how to use midi to trigger plugin?

Hey guys, I just bought Infected Mushrooms Gatekeeper and so far it seems that all I can do is use the time based (play) function of the plugin but I can't seem to trigger it with Midi even though it has a midi learn function. I wonder if I'm just not setting it up correctly for this. I've seen their tutorial using Ableton for this but it doesn't go deeply in to the setup so I can't say for sure how their getting it to work there either.

Essentially, I just want to load a VST, say Massive and have the Gatekeeper envelope start when a midi note starts. Basically just play a note or a chord and have the envelope start from the beginning. The problem with using the standard time function is depending on where my midi note is on the timeline the envelope may start in the middle of the envelope instead of triggering from the start. Make sense?

I didn't see Reaper on the supported list of DAW's for this plugin so perhaps this isn't possible currently in Reaper with Gatekeeper?
pderbidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:46 PM   #2
pderbidge
Human being with feelings

OK, I just figured it out and it's easier than I thought it would be. Perhaps there is another way but this is what I found works.

1. Create your Instrument Track. In my case Massive
2. Create another track (just a regular track) and add Gatekeeper.
3. Send your Instrument track to gatekeeper. Keep your audio settings the same cause Gatekeeper doesn't care that you are using a Virtual Instrument with midi, it's just looking for the audio output from that track. In fact it probably doesn't even really know if there's audio coming in or not, it just acts as an open and close door of any audio trying to pass through based on the envelope drawn.
4. Create a midi item on the track you have for Gatekeeper. This will act as the midi trigger for gate keeper.
5. On your instrument track uncheck your Master send so that all you will hear is what comes out of the Gatekeeper track.
6. On your gate keeper track, uncheck the Play button so that Gatekeeper is only triggered by a midi note.
7. Draw in a midi note on your gatekeeper track but realize that your midi notes only act as "one shots" meaning if you have a 2 bar envelope in gatekeeper and you trigger it with any note in the midi item it will only play 2 bars so in order to keep it looping you will have to draw a midi note at the beginning of every 2 bars to force it to loop over and over. If you just need it to loop like that then it's probably easier to create a two bar midi item. Put a note at the beginning and then loop the midi item or just drop Gatekeeper directly on the instrument track, after the Instrument plugin and keep the Play button enabled
8. If you want the mid note to only trigger with one specific note instead of every note in the midi editor then use the midi learn function in Gatekeeper to choose a note that will trigger that pattern and that way you can do the same for up to 8 different patterns where each pattern can be midi learned to a different note so that you can trigger them individually.

That's about it. You just have to remember that if you trigger Gatekeeper but your VI(ie:Massive) isn't playing any notes then you won't hear anything. Essentially Gatekeeper doesn't take cues from the midi notes drawn or played in from your Virtual Instrument, it needs it's own track with midi to trigger it.

Essentially everything I said here will work the same if you are using an audio file or loop with Gatekeeper but want to trigger Gatekeeper with Midi.

I hope this makes sense to anyone trying to do this. It's actually really easy once you stop overthinking it(:

Last edited by pderbidge; 12-03-2018 at 11:30 PM.
pderbidge is offline   Reply With Quote