Old 05-24-2012, 06:56 AM   #1
ananthu
Human being with feelings

Default Audio file sample rate issue

My Reaper was working perfectly until today. When I'm trying to insert any audio file, it shows some sample rate problem and the audio that I get is a very rough crappy sound. Can anyone tell me what could be the problem??
ananthu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:21 AM   #2
ananthu

ALso just found out that its the same with any thing I record.. It's recording but while playing back it's something else.. A bassy kinda sound like a pitch shift of -100 has taken place.. Someone please help me with this..
Old 05-24-2012, 08:28 AM   #3
mrelwood

What is the "some samplerate problem" exactly?

I would follow this checklist:
1) Reboot computer.
2) Make sure you have identical samplerate set in the project settings, Audio Device preferences (check the box "request sample rate"), and sound card control panel (if applicable).
3) Remove and reinstall sound card drivers, if using other than the internal sound device.
4) Try with an old project that you know used to work fine.
5) Backup your preferences, and uninstall Reaper with AppDelete or such (AppTrap is a free alternative).
6) Try a different sound device.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:09 AM   #4
ananthu

I don't exactly know what the issue is.. Have been using REAPER extensively for just over a week for recording some karaoke songs.. I have a screen shot attached.. Wonder what that blue 'i' on top of the track is.. This is how it looks.. And the audio I get is real distorted and unpleasant..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2012-05-25 at 2.05.47 PM.jpg (62.8 KB, 85 views)
Old 05-25-2012, 03:17 AM   #5
ananthu

I tried re-installing the software several times but the problem still persists.. Seems to be some internal issue but I'm sure I didn't change any default settings before the problem happened.. It was all the same and suddenly this thing showed up yesterday..
Old 05-25-2012, 08:16 AM   #6
mrelwood

Try the second tip I gave in my last reply.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:34 AM   #7
ned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthu View Post
Wonder what that blue 'i' on top of the track is.. This is how it looks.. And the audio I get is real distorted and unpleasant..
The blue 'i' at the top of the media item just means the audio has been resampled to the projects sample rate. Might be the problem if the sample rate playback conversion in reaper is set too low. To change it go to: File>Project settings... , then the drop down menu for the 'Playback resample mode'. My default is 'Good (64pt Sinc)' and it sounds pretty decent. Try changing it to a higher setting and see if that helps.

Also, remember that using an mp3 will probably not yield the best results when processing because it's lossy nature means it's already sonically compromised. Any other processing, like sample rate conversion, will just exaggerate artifacts from the original mp3 compression. Always best to use uncompressed sources.
ned is offline   Reply With Quote