Old 01-26-2019, 04:54 PM   #1
nepenthe
Human being with feelings

Default FR: Option to deselect items after split

Desired behavior: select item and execute split, deselect resulting split items.

Currently they remain selected. If I modify the edges of one, the other will also change. I am constantly accidentally resizing regions because of this. I really would prefer to have to deliberately re-select the newly created items rather than have them start auto-selected. This would be such a huge help. I've been using Reaper for a while and... blame it on ADHD, but this bites me every session.

I feel this is a "safer" behavior and a substantial percentage of users would benefit from a preference that enabled/disabled it. Thanks!

(PS: if this isn't possible, then provide a way to prevent linked modification of all selected items unless they are specifically grouped?)
nepenthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 05:21 PM   #2
foxAsteria

You can just make a custom action:

Split items
Unselect all items

Or there are actions to select right/left/not change selection etc. Many more such actions if you have ReaPack and SWS installed.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:36 PM   #3
nepenthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
You can just make a custom action:

Split items
Unselect all items

Or there are actions to select right/left/not change selection etc. Many more such actions if you have ReaPack and SWS installed.
Yeah, that's cool. I basically do that right now, but I feel like a preference would be beneficial for more casual users. I wonder if anyone finds the current default behavior useful? I can't really think of a situation when I'd want to split an item and then simultaneously resize the upstream start bounds of both new items. Maybe once in a while...
nepenthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 06:12 PM   #4
foxAsteria

Well ya, that's why we have different actions for it. I use the select/left or right after split actions, depending on which direction I'm going. It really just depends on what you're doing. The default behavior makes sense because it doesn't change the item selection. They're all right for something.