Old 11-15-2008, 08:45 PM   #41
semiquaver
Human being with feelings

Justin - some graphics wierdness on osx ppc 10.4.11 - if I create a new middi item and nudge it the grid gets all screwy - see screen grab below - also dragging an item make the item flickers longer and shorter... it corrects itself after doing almost anything...
Attached Images
File Type: png grid wierdness.png (9.3 KB, 2043 views)
Old 11-15-2008, 08:47 PM   #42
Art Evans
Mortal

Three dimensional items - very nice - copied them from the default UI set and changed the colours in Photoshop to match my favourite theme.

Photo of Scottish lake scene inserted into an item as background - I nearly died laughing!

Folder indications - kind of blue things - colour isn't right for my theme and I can't see where to change that - any hints?

I have to say I'm slightly lukewarm over the draggable folder creation thing - functionally the previous method seems easier and more intuitive to me. The present method will require explanation, whereas before there was a button to explore and discover. Personally I'd be glad to see that back.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:49 PM   #43
semiquaver

probly same issue but the selection tint is slightly offset from the images up in the timeline - look at the top of the time selection in the image below..

time selection tint a big improvement imo btw !
Attached Images
File Type: png selection offset.png (3.5 KB, 1980 views)
Old 11-15-2008, 08:55 PM   #44
Solar

Default Wooooooooooooooow!!

Great great great job Justin & Co as usual!!

And i believe that we really have to keep this release very low key as requested by Justin & Co by respect to the great work and time their putting to make this Daw a great Tool.

Don't seem to be able to create Folders... gonna go play around with this new alpha release!

Very excited!

Cheers!
Old 11-15-2008, 09:03 PM   #45
semiquaver

Oh and just noticed that in full screen mode Reapers screen is about 10 pixels right of the left edge and I can see a thin slice of the desktop behind it! anyone else seeingthis?
Old 11-15-2008, 09:03 PM   #46
Art Evans
Mortal

Restore previous scroll position - graphic bug when master track is displayed, I see an item partly drawn in the master track.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:06 PM   #47
Art Evans
Mortal

Quote:
Don't seem to be able to create Folders... gonna go play around with this new alpha release!
Like I said, not intuitive... you have to drag the track(s) to be included in the folder up into the track to become the folder track and then diagonally to the right. Do the reverse to unfolder. Once you've cracked it, it's fairly easy to do it in future, but a simple click on a button is radically faster, though less sexy. Sorry to be negative!

Edit - you need to get hold of the track to be included in the folder towards the right edge of the tcp, then as you drag up, watch the blue bar that appears - when its left edge shortens (implying an indent) let go.

Last edited by Art Evans; 11-15-2008 at 09:15 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:14 PM   #48
Art Evans
Mortal

A positive - the new bounce stuff (with auto stop/start according to level) is nice, together with a bouncing indicator that appears in the transport time display.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:17 PM   #49
Solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Evans View Post
Like I said, not intuitive... you have to drag the track(s) to be included in the folder up into the track to become the folder track and then diagonally to the right. Do the reverse to unfolder. Once you've cracked it, it's fairly easy to do it in future, but a simple click on a button is radically faster, though less sexy. Sorry to be negative!
Thanx Art!! Got it now... glad you explained because otherwise i wouldn't find it to be honest!!

Very cool indeed!!

Looking forward to see version 3.0 support and implement VSTI automatic Output by putting them in it's specific folder like that it will make things less messy. As well as more Mixer features with icon button like if you want to Hide the Vsti ouput or the Midi tracks in the mixer or Sends or Aux etc.. i know that there is a Menu in the Mixer but i think having a quicker little icon menu in the mixer would make it very friendly!!!!

LOve the way the wave form audio looks like!!! I'm very excited till release of final 3.0

Cheers!!
Old 11-15-2008, 09:46 PM   #50
jens

Quote:
Originally Posted by jens View Post
- Clicking on the mixer's send and insert (e.g. to bring up a plugin's GUI) slot is a bit hit and miss - I haven't quit managed yet to figure out the system
I shouldn't have posted that - (apparently) since loading the default theme it now works as supposed (and switching back to the other theme I used doesn't change this).
Old 11-15-2008, 09:56 PM   #51
jens

whoah - I assume the automation-lanes are not supposed to leave the track-borders if you zoom in on the track vertically?
Old 11-15-2008, 09:56 PM   #52
beatbybit

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatbybit View Post
..the first thing i noticed (before testing anything) is that my colored items (random background color) loosing their colors when i select them (actually they all change to "media item background selected (odd/even tracks)")..
with "Tint backgrounds to custom item colors" checked in.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:06 PM   #53
beatbybit

WOO-HOO-HOOOOOOO!

the Loop REC (Track Out, Latency compensated) IS gapless here.

no more glitch on the recorded file!! i can jam on the VSTi's from now - right into Audio!!

thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!

Last edited by beatbybit; 11-15-2008 at 10:08 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:10 PM   #54
Lawrence

Hey, what happened to the velocity handles on midi notes? They're gone.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:13 PM   #55
jaaypeso

Quote:
Originally Posted by xackley View Post
+ Settings to hide tracks from the track list
Is this what I think it is!!!!! I really feel like even though I own a licensed version of Reaper that I owe the Cockos team money. Please somebody tell me i'm not dreaming and that this is the hide track feature so I can begin to pee in my pants just a little.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:22 PM   #56
jens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Hey, what happened to the velocity handles on midi notes? They're gone.
no, they're not - what theme are you using? Or perhaps you just need to zoom in a bit?
Old 11-15-2008, 10:32 PM   #57
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by jens View Post
no, they're not - what theme are you using? Or perhaps you just need to zoom in a bit?
Ah, the option was turned off... they work. Cool.

The "Export Project Midi" function is broken. It won't let you change the exported filename or directory. It writes a file with no name.

There is a stray "\" in there.

Last edited by Lawrence; 11-15-2008 at 10:36 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:38 PM   #58
ScottyD

...and I was just about to go to bed.

-ScottyD
Old 11-15-2008, 10:40 PM   #59
zappsunzorn

One thing I found kind of cool. Make a track a member of about 4 folders and move the vertical dividing bar left to squash the horizontal fader. The default fader is replaced with the classic fader, and you can adjust it with the mouse by clicking on it and moving up and down. The fader doesn't move, but it gives you level control.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:40 PM   #60
Bevosss

Just for user information:

Item freeze is working, track freeze is broken, also create folder above selected tracks (sws freeze plugin 'probably' fixed tomorrow for folder actions)

Item rightclick context menu is absent if the rightclick marquee pref is enabled

And just to add, the folder in folder and item notes/background/track hide features are really coool! I'm inspired...
Old 11-15-2008, 10:51 PM   #61
semiquaver

'indent selected tracks' action please!
Old 11-15-2008, 11:18 PM   #62
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

That's like ~12 months of development (in the rest of the world) happening in 4 weeks. Awesome! Thank you!
Old 11-15-2008, 11:34 PM   #63
squirrelK7

Default Error msg when opening existing Projects

Every existing project I open gets this Error. I haven't found anything actually missing yet. All envelopes, effects, folder, etc. all seem to as they were.

Over all, with just about 1/2 hr. of playing around with this build, Me Likey!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Error_msg.jpg (15.6 KB, 353 views)
Old 11-15-2008, 11:55 PM   #64
pjs

Wow stunning update! Many thanks to the devs.

I can't figure out how to restore hidden tracks in the track list again. Anyone?
Old 11-15-2008, 11:57 PM   #65
Bevosss

Can we get the new 'Loaded Pics' via item notes, to be optionally for UNSELECTED ITEMS ONLY please?

That would be much better for editing etc imho.

Cheers!
Old 11-15-2008, 11:59 PM   #66
Bevosss

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjs View Post
Wow stunning update! Many thanks to the devs.

I can't figure out how to restore hidden tracks in the track list again. Anyone?
Rightclick on the track in the mixer, it's either in the tcp or mixer at any given time.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:43 AM   #67
kLyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevosss View Post
Rightclick on the track in the mixer, it's either in the tcp or mixer at any given time.
That seems less than ideal. Shouldn't "hidden" be completely hidden, with some other way of restoring?
Old 11-16-2008, 12:45 AM   #68
Art Evans
Mortal

Remember those woodgrain themes? Well now you can have woodgrain items to go with them...

More to the point -

+ Items with no audio/MIDI become "notes items" and display the text or resource in the body of the item

Does that simply refer to items created by the usual "insert empty item" command (which indeed can now function as "notes items"), or something else?
Old 11-16-2008, 12:54 AM   #69
pjs

Quote:
That's how I eventually restored the tracks but I thought I was overlooking something. If you hide the same tracks in the mixer as well how would it be restored then?

Hmmm if I understand you correctly you can only hide a track in either the track list OR the mixer, not in both?
Old 11-16-2008, 01:04 AM   #70
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjs View Post
That's how I eventually restored the tracks but I thought I was overlooking something. If you hide the same tracks in the mixer as well how would it be restored then?

Hmmm if I understand you correctly you can only hide a track in either the track list OR the mixer, not in both?
Not possible to hide in both...I am sure the Cockos guys need to come up with some kind of "track list window" to overcome this limitation. Such a track list could be useful in other ways too...Ok, but it's naughty asking for new features now.

Great release! I hope more good things are soon to come this way...
Old 11-16-2008, 01:29 AM   #71
beatbybit

+ Better looking automation (circle points)

wooo!

thank you!
Old 11-16-2008, 01:45 AM   #72
Tallisman

this preview build is making me smile.

Just when I thought that this was dead and buried... Cockos pulls it out of the fire and makes it even mo'better: http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...72&postcount=4

can't wait to play even more!

.t

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Old 11-16-2008, 03:22 AM   #73
Art Evans
Mortal

Aha! Check out this action - "Track: Cycle selected tracks folder state"

With that you can completely do and undo folder and folder in folder by using it on appropriate tracks, without having to do the dragging thing. Neat!

The obvious key to assign it to is the tab key...

Last edited by Art Evans; 11-16-2008 at 03:28 AM.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:27 AM   #74
Alex Stone

Thanks to the team for the update!

The text item in tracks for adding notes is worth the price of admission on it's own. (I waited over 25 years for a daw dev team to be smart enough to see the sense in this )

Onto the testing....

With the ME docked, and timelines synced, there's a glitch in alignment when dragging the cursor to a new position in the main window (dragging in the me seems fine), particularly when the cursor is dragged beyond the range of the item.

The scale of colour gradient showing velocity for notes in the ME seems too narrow. And for velocity, the mouse range is quite narrow, making it a bit harder to fine tune velocity. (I would also respectfully suggest here that two new KS actions, for "increase/decrease velocity of selected note" would help in workflow, particularly as we can now dock the ME, and switch items, working more within one window than ever before)

Alex.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:38 AM   #75
Silicon/Silicium

imho, the gradient on small object like notes is useless, and about velocity, having a mix between two colors could be better than having just luminosity changes.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:02 AM   #76
synth

A tiny request for Justin & Co.:

Please add an option in the installer to keep all config files in the Reaper installation directory and never write anything to the Documents and Settings.

This way we can have multiple (different) versions installed on a single machine (for testing) without losing / corrupting / overwriting the settings already made by a previous installation.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=22279

Last edited by synth; 11-16-2008 at 04:04 AM.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:14 AM   #77
airon

Quote:
Just for user information:

Item freeze is working, track freeze is broken, also create folder above selected tracks (sws freeze plugin 'probably' fixed tomorrow for folder actions)

Item rightclick context menu is absent if the rightclick marquee pref is enabled
Try a double right-click. I had that trouble too.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:17 AM   #78
jaaypeso

Quote:
Originally Posted by kLyon View Post
That seems less than ideal. Shouldn't "hidden" be completely hidden, with some other way of restoring?
Agreed. I know at this point with Justin and company working pretty hard already, this idea may be like a kid asking for another present after he just opened his Christmas gifts, but it would be cool if it was another screen in which you can toggle in and out of view like the mixer and the track routing. That way, you could quickly get there and check/uncheck tracks to make them appear and reappear as necessary. Then you could scroll up and down long track lists to find what you want and make it hide/unhide easier and much faster. Because if you wanted to hide 5 tracks, the quickest way would be to be able to check and uncheck boxes as opposed to having to select each track via a mouse click and then do a macro.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:49 AM   #79
synth

The biggest features in this release (IMO):

Quote:
* Fixed loop glitches with synth and other plug-ins

* ReaSynth: less cpu use when UI open and automated

* Preliminary automation envelope lanes (coming up in the next alpha)

* New themable item backgrounds, loop notches and more

* Mousewheel zoom now zooms at mouse cursor if the mouse is captured

* Better looking automation (circle points)

* Native graphics rendering engine for better looks and much better performance on WINE

* Export project MIDI as single or multitrack .MID file, with tempomap support

* MIDI editor: option to sync view (scroll and zoom) with the project timeline

* MIDI editor: optionally reuse an existing editor window when opening new MIDI items

* MIDI editor, virtual midi keyboard: fancy piano keys

* MIDI editor: graphics rendering overhaul, velocity-sensitive gradient colors on notes

* MIDI output channel selector on virtual MIDI keyboard, up/down to change channel, left/right to change octave

* Settings to hide tracks from the track list

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=22279

Last edited by synth; 11-16-2008 at 05:03 AM.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:01 AM   #80
MichaJo

First, thanks a lot for 2.99!!!

There's a strange (different from 2.53) behaviour in the mixer view when grabbing the small line between the FX inserts and the sends.
Grabbing this line with the upper part or the lower part of the double-arrow-cursor makes a difference.
Is this intentional?
http://shup.com/shup!/82248/ReaperDifGrab.avi

Michael
Closed Thread