Old 11-16-2008, 05:18 AM   #81
billybk1
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Zero View Post
One thing I would say is that now we have folder in folder, more than ever I think we need a way to NOT route through the folder parent track. In other words, in the IO dialog rather than the "Master/Parent Send" checkbox you'd have two checkboxes "Master Send" and "Parent Send" giving you the option to send a track straight to the master without routing through the parent first.

You could even go a step further and, to make things clear on the UI, with "Parent Send" unchecked on all the child tracks, the folder and meter would disappear from the parent track, making it clear it is now merely a folder for organisational rather than routing purposes. Or I guess to make things easier there would even be one option on the folder track itself to make this happen. Just a suggestion...

All this would let us use folders solely for organisational purposes - often you don't want to do routing/bussing but merely want to tidy and order your session.

+1 YES, I think this would be very useful for organizational purposes as well. Many times I find myself wanting to group tracks together to tidy things up (drums, vocals, brass, guitar, perc, etc) and don't ever need additional routing to get in the way. All I want is a simple Solo/Mute on the parent folder (similar to how SONAR/ACID Pro does it) so I can easily drag & drop tracks into a parent folder (simply route the child tracks to the Master or to a separate Bus) to keep things organized & structured.

As it is now in REAPER, all child tracks get routed to the parent folder and you can't change that. Many times I don't want my parent folder to be used for any routed audio just as a placeholder for organizational purposes with just a simple Solo/Mute. This is one feature I really miss from SONAR.

Pretty please!

Billy Buck
Old 11-16-2008, 05:37 AM   #82
synth

+1 for this

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=22279
Old 11-16-2008, 05:37 AM   #83
fuseburn

+1 for not inevitably routing childrens audio through parent group. I've always seen it as a tool to tidy up visually, so best way imho would be to make it optional (preferences) to stay backwards-compatible.

Oh, and, with all the folder-in-folder-dragging-around-party - wouldn't it be a great opportunity to include track-reordering in the mixer view ? ;-)
Great great great stuff. As always !
Old 11-16-2008, 05:44 AM   #84
Alex Stone

Ok, following on....

example:
3 midi items, with the ME docked, and timeline sync and "use one ME", on.
(and plonk a few notes in each item.)

Open the first midi item, and set grid to 1/16.
Open the second midi item and set grid to 1/32.
Open the third midi item and set grid to 1/8.

When moving between items, the grid designations are maintained per item.

Is it possible to have an optional 'generic' setting, where the grid designation selected carries over to all items, until it's changed? (in any item)

And, would you consider adding an option of selecting "sync to main timeline", and "use one ME" as on by default, so any subsequent new items open in the ME with these settings already active?

It's much closer to an inline midi editor in this new form, and workflow additions to further streamline this, and provide for speedy inputting and editing on the fly, could prove highly useful.

Alex.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:59 AM   #85
synth

...and ++1 for Alex Stone's suggestions.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=22279
Old 11-16-2008, 06:01 AM   #86
Spyrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by synth View Post
A tiny request for Justin & Co.:

Please add an option in the installer to keep all config files in the Reaper installation directory and never write anything to the Documents and Settings.

This way we can have multiple (different) versions installed on a single machine (for testing) without losing / corrupting / overwriting the settings already made by a previous installation.

+1 here

also useful to "copy and paste" a Reaper from one computer to another, so you don't have to configurate that Reaper again. just copy and paste the Reaper folder.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:07 AM   #87
Spyrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatbybit View Post
but the first thing i noticed (before testing anything) is that my colored items (random background color) loosing their colors when i select them (actually they all change to "media item background selected (odd/even tracks)")
BIG THANKS for this. Now I'll never miss a selected item again.

Big thanks for everything, actually. The new item shadows is great, it looks very professional.

The only thing I don't like is the word "Notes" in the notes items. I think the icon should be enough and more clear. But BIG THANKS for note items again. I always use items in that way in Logic to identify the different parts of the song with different colors (intro, chorus, verses..). <--- hey and now I can hide that track from the mixer! GREAT

Last edited by Spyrow; 11-16-2008 at 06:10 AM.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:09 AM   #88
Sasu Honka

Default Looping without a glitch

Wow!
The smoothness of looping! Now I can finally start using REAPER as a live tool in my live setup! Thank you very - very much!
Old 11-16-2008, 06:13 AM   #89
jens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevosss View Post

And just to add, the folder in folder and item notes/background/track hide features are really coool! I'm inspired...
WOW!!! I had missed this...

There's really already so much great stuff in there it's mind-boggling.

Soon I'll have nothing to complain about anymore - I want my money back!
Old 11-16-2008, 06:21 AM   #90
MichaJo

Has anybody already exported a Multitrack MIDI file?
Reaper crashes here doing it, independent of the chosen options.

Michael
Old 11-16-2008, 06:29 AM   #91
gofer
-blänk-

Yay Reaper!!!

Amazing stuff there. Now I know for sure, i am a gfx whore. And don't even feel ashamed. I keep peeping at those fancy gradients on items (thanks, Art for the idea to have a look into the default theme folder) and notes.

Wonderfull that the selection rainbow is past us. And the marquee looks great. But I miss the time selection color settings in the color theme preferences. Will they be back? With my color theme I can barely see the time selection range now. As I read very different opinions here about the hue amount, I'd propose to make it definable in the prefs.

I have slight difficulties identifying muted notes now. And yes, the velocity color differences could be a tiny bit enhanced, but not too much.
I agree with airon on the velocity mouse motion:
Quote:
The size of the note should not be what dictates the range of motion for the velocity change but perhaps a percentage of the screen size or a preset number of pixels.

I love the new equal piano keys. Only, when having note names loaded, the black keys seem too big, the text of neighboring white keys is cut (most noticable on G, A and D key). Perhaps black keys should be a bit narrower? Would be easier to hit the lower velocity range of white keys.

Nested folders are beautifully designed. I support Ben Zeros idea about seperate master and parent send checkboxes, if that's possible. Hopefully the design genious who did the folder graphics can come up with something as cool for the mixer view. And pretty please with a lot of whipping cream on top, make folders collapsable in the mixer as well.

Will it be possible to enter events ahead of the item borders with the 'synced to timeline' midi editor, so that the left border gets updated to enclose the new event? That would be great (along with an indication of both borders, perhaps via a draggable shading of the outside range). I can paint in a note outside the item range, but when I touch it it will jump to the item start.

The only glitches i encountered yet are:

When using the edge of the horizontal scrollbar for zooming in the midi editor the initial jumping of zoom amount is back.

And the placement of the cursor when the midi editor is synced with the timeline is off as Alex pointed out.

This will be a great step for Reaper. I am curiously looking forward to see the automation stuff you'll come up with. Biggest hug from here.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:44 AM   #92
Billoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaJo View Post
Has anybody already exported a Multitrack MIDI file?
Reaper crashes here doing it, independent of the chosen options.

Michael
Yeah, just tried it. The choose file button does nothing here too.

Heres the info(on Vista32 HP)....

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: reaper.exe
Application Version: 2.5.3.0
Application Timestamp: 491f6a72
Fault Module Name: reaper.exe
Fault Module Version: 2.5.3.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 491f6a72
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000d084d
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 3081
Additional Information 1: 440e
Additional Information 2: 8084691598924cbaaf145866f8e77622
Additional Information 3: 32ca
Additional Information 4: f7d03a7dd6de3ce92d0cfde511a2d41b
Old 11-16-2008, 06:45 AM   #93
jonyjazy

The show/hide tracks is a great feature, but..

If I want to have a show group for all drums, another for guitar, another for vocals, each time I want to see one of the groups I have to hide the other tracks to see only them. Wouldn´t it be freat to store the shown/hidden tracks state? You just choose that state and all drums remain everything else goes out. Want only guitars? Choose another saved state and there you go! There may be a state as ALL where all tracks display.

Just an ideia

But, as usual, fantastic pre-update
Old 11-16-2008, 07:07 AM   #94
fuseburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyjazy View Post
If I want to have a show group for all drums, another for guitar, another for vocals, each time I want to see one of the groups I have to hide the other tracks to see only them.
I don't know if I got you right, but just use the track-group feature for this:

- Group your drum tracks in a group called "drums showgroup", say number 20 - If you haven't already grouped them anyway. Deactivate the group if you just want a showgroup (with no other functionality)
- Create a custom action with the following:
-- Track: Select all tracks
-- "Hide selected tracks in track list" (not existing atm, but obviously coming)
-- Group: select all tracks in group 20
-- "Show selected tracks in track list" (not existing atm, but obviously coming)

There you go !
Old 11-16-2008, 07:12 AM   #95
xackley

Default Bug: change of folder no immediate display in mixer

When creating a sub folder the mixer is not updated

I have the mix docked, using the Classic Theme
drag a track in a folder up/right to create a sub folder.

The folder icon is not displayed in the mixer.

Moving the cursor over the number area in the Mixer makes the folder icon appear, so it looks to be a redraw problem.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:20 AM   #96
jaaypeso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Stone View Post

And, would you consider adding an option of selecting "sync to main timeline", and "use one ME" as on by default, so any subsequent new items open in the ME with these settings already active?
+1 for this. I'm confident I would almost always want any MIDI item I open up to be set with "sync to main timeline" set to "on" as a default.

This, my friends, is an inline MIDI editor. The "sync to main timeline" feature is what makes it a perfect inline MIDI editor, because your play cursor and zoom level settings are the same in the MIDI editor so you can quickly do edits right where you want them without the back and forth of having a seperate MIDI editor that doesn't sync. If Reaper hadn't already sent my workflow into high gear, now i'll be moving at warp speed. I think I just peed a little. A VERY sincere thank you to Justin, Schwa and Christophe for hearing the cries of the little people such as myself.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:21 AM   #97
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Don't pay too much attention to what the item images look like, the important bit is that they are theme-able so the sky is the limit. Setup for a different theme:

Note that the images can be transparent, so on FIP (for example) you can see one item through another:

Select a comment image to replace the item image. Alas, for now, it ignores the formatting marks, so you can't get this to work 100% correctly (it just draws the whole thing, rendering transparency to black):

Best of all, this does allow you to do really bad taste stuff just for the fun of it. Woo!

Old 11-16-2008, 07:22 AM   #98
xackley

Default Bug: clicking any white space in TCP changes folder assignment

1 Create a subfolder containing only 1 track.
2 click on any white space in the TCP, or click the numeric volume or pan.

result: track is removed from subfolder.
expected: no change in folder organization
Old 11-16-2008, 07:41 AM   #99
jaaypeso

Default Potential Bug and a Few Requests

Action to zoom in/out horizontally in MIDI editor doesn't work whether MIDI editor is docked or not docked. This works in the TCP just fine and resizes the MIDI editor perfectly when they are synced together. Vertical zooming DOES work in the MIDI editor which led me to believe this is a bug.

Also, I have a couple of requests with regard to the MIDI editor:

1) Currently, the MIDI editor only zooms when the mouse cursor is located in the track panel (main timeline).

-Is it possible for you to also be able to use the mousewheel to zoom in and out when the mouse cursor is located in the docked MIDI editor? This way you can still move around the MIDI editor when doing extensive MIDI editing without having to go back up to the track panel to zoom in and out every time. I guess this would require a true sync both ways between the MIDI editor and the main timeline.

2) The option to single left click on the MIDI item to make that item active (display) in the docked MIDI editor would be helpful. It currently requires a double left click.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:56 AM   #100
Tedwood

Default Panel text Bug

My old projects play great on 2.99, the gui seems smoother, but I din't have much probs before.

I think this is a bug though

I was doing a new theme when this was released and found a weird thing with the track panel & panel selected text.

Varying tints of blue and red, orange and yellow are reversed, but basically:

Blue comes out red, and red comes out blue, green is still green though

Last edited by Tedwood; 11-16-2008 at 08:13 AM.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:59 AM   #101
gofer
-blänk-

White tie,
do you know what the pure yellow (ffff00) pixels in the 'item bg.png' do? I know about the pure magenta stuff, but these are new. Any fancy possibilities here?
Old 11-16-2008, 08:00 AM   #102
zappadave

Tried setting an image as an item background, but when the item is stretched out, so is the image. The images become a blur. Even a woman with three breasts loses her shape. Can't really see the use for this. I would probably only use this for chord information, its great for that.

And where did the patch/bank selector go?
Has this gone to make way for something better, or will it return.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:08 AM   #103
Lawrence

This is a great beta with some really cool things that need some tweaking, kudos. I really like the new midi notes and the keyboard graphics. those are sweet. Best looking daw keyboard graphics I've ever seen bar none.

I would *respectfully* ask that the graphics rendering thing be dealt with sometime in the future though. The 3D media items make it worse for me. On my dual core laptop with nothing playing, 14 tracks, I get 50%+ cpu hit just by zooming in and out with the horizontal scroll bar. 13% plugs, the rest is graphic redraws. This doesn't bode well for high stress project navigation without spiking.

Great pre-release. Keep up the good work. Thanks bunches for the midi export!

P.S. Here's hoping ASIO DM is still on the table.

Last edited by Lawrence; 11-16-2008 at 08:12 AM.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:12 AM   #104
gofer
-blänk-

Zappadave,

The Patch/Bank selector lane now is hideable. Look for it in the controller dropdown, it's called Bank/Program select.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:16 AM   #105
zappadave

Thanks, didn't see that, just need to get the patches in the synth to work with it.

I have gone to classic on the laptop, to drop CPU use.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:17 AM   #106
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
what the pure yellow (ffff00) pixels in the 'item bg.png' do?
2 things need to be known:
  • How the image is to stretched - done with pink stuff in the old manner we all know and love.
  • How the image is to be positioned, since some elements of your image will be border, or shadow, or any area that should fall outside what Reaper treats as the item. Done with the all new and retina-burning yellow!
If you've fooled around with overlays in the past, this new behaviour will be very familiar to you, except you'll be using yellow instead of pink.

Quick tip : if you have a border, make the yellow intrude on it by 1 pixel on the right edge. Then, when two items are butted up to each other, you'll only see a single pixel divider, rather than a chunky and intrusive 2 pixel slab.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:23 AM   #107
zappadave

And text events too, cool.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:55 AM   #108
_Devin

@White Tie: Those screenshots look hott. Upon some updated Reaper3 themes coming out, I'd like to nominate Reaper for best looking DAW ever.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:02 AM   #109
ed209

oh my, this is major indeed!
I'll gladly haul out the cash for this - btw will there be an upgrade in price also?

what I got so far:
* just tested on getting majorTom-plug loaded - the non-SSE-version - and Reaper crashed

* there are 'flashing'-effects when inserting midi-notes and when zooming in midi-view

* I noticed I have extremely bad taste when it comes to gfx as I love the item thing with the bubinga-skin that WT showed off above...
Old 11-16-2008, 09:07 AM   #110
Oxytoxine

wow, respect and thanks for this awesome update! i did never expect and almost feel flattered to get so much of the requested things implemented - that's the sheer madness!! :-) thanks guys and a big thumbs up!
Old 11-16-2008, 09:07 AM   #111
Jason Brian Merrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by synth View Post
The biggest features in this release (IMO):
hehe, for me these are the least important
Old 11-16-2008, 09:15 AM   #112
joe2

My Sunday evening in is set! Big up, Justin & Co. :-)
Old 11-16-2008, 09:27 AM   #113
Solar

Default Realtime Preview Midi Quantize Events!!! Woooooooooooooooooooooooowww!!

Realtime Preview Midi Quantize is simply one of my favorite features on this release!! Maybe it's been there a while but never take the time to play around with Midi in Reaper because still think there is some lack of features but man now i'm loving it and i hope that More will be implemented!!

Thanx to Cockos Team!!
Old 11-16-2008, 09:33 AM   #114
xackley

Default Bug: UN-Foldering Blue Line Display

1: create folder in folder in folder, ...
2: click on a sub folder name and drag down.

Warning. These results are messy and hard to understand, because the function is messy and erratic.

result: blue line does not display how many level the subfolder will be moved up the chain.

Result: the blue line misrepresent what action will occur, when the folder is shifted full left, the blue line indicates one level left. When you drag down further the line shifts too far right, not displaying where the resulting location will be.

result: very inconsistent as to it moving "left" one level or all the way to the "left". And it is never possible to move to any increment of layers except 1 layer, or to the top.

RECOMMENDATION. When dragging folders out of other folders, use the Blue folder layer indicator to select the new folder depth. So if I have a folder 4 subfolders deep, I click the name space, drag it to the 2nd subfolder blue layer indicator, resulting in the folder being moved to the 2nd layer of subfoldering.

EDIT: Clarification, the dragging I am doing never leaves the space of the Selected track control area. "Moving" tracks up and down in the project is unrelated. This is a folder/subfolder/subfolder/subfolder level change that occurs when Hold-click a track and move the cursor downward.

Last edited by xackley; 11-16-2008 at 10:19 AM.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:37 AM   #115
jaaypeso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar View Post
Realtime Preview Midi Quantize is simply one of my favorite features on this release!! Maybe it's been there a while but never take the time to play around with Midi in Reaper because still think there is some lack of features but man now i'm loving it and i hope that More will be implemented!!

Thanx to Cockos Team!!
You are correct good sir........Realtime midi quantize preview has been available in Reaper for quite a while.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:37 AM   #116
Solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xackley View Post
1: create folder in folder in folder, ...
2: click on a sub folder name and drag down.

Warning. These results are messy and hard to understand, because the function is messy and erratic.

result: blue line does not display how many level the subfolder will be moved up the chain.

Result: the blue line misrepresent the what action will occur, when the folder is shifted full left, the blue line indicates one level left. When you drag down further the line shifts too far right, not displaying where the resulting location will be.

result: very inconsistent as to it moving "left" one level or all the way to the "left".

RECOMMENDATION. When dragging folders out of other folders, use the Blue folder layer indicator to select the new folder depth. So if I have a folder 4 subfolders deep, I click the name space, drag it to the 2nd subfolder blue layer indicator, resulting in the folder being moved to the 2nd layer of subfoldering.
For my understanding, when the BLUE line becomes kind of half in size, it means your selected track that your dragging is going to the track folder. When the Blue size is longer it means you'r simply moving up or down the desired tracks positions!!
Old 11-16-2008, 09:43 AM   #117
_Devin

Default MIDI bugs when looping time selection

The MIDI glitches and pops when looping a time-selection are non-existant now(weeps tears of joy), but there are 2 new bugs in their place:

1) Sometimes notes at the very beginning of the time selection are missed(not catastrophic, but worth fixing).
EDIT: I should say that this only happens when clicking around on other stuff during playback(buttons on channels/mixer, etc... nothing specific, just clicking around on anything).

2) When moving VST knobs with the mouse while playing a looped time selection(this seems to apply to any/all VSTs(by all vendors) on the channel, such as moving ReaEQ on a channel with a VSTi playing), will occasionally cause a note off event not to be fired(even when moving knobs on VSTs other than the one generating the sound), resulting in stuck notes until playback is stopped.

EDIT: After more playing around, it seems that some VSTs are more prone to this than others(Absynth 3 being the worst offender), however, it was not doing this in 2.53. It can also happen when playing with VST FX on other channels, which does make it more of a problem, and in theory, you'd probably get stuck notes on rendering a project to wav/mp3.

Just to be crystal clear, I'm refering to looping a time-selection such as 9.0.0 to 17.0.0 containing multiple MIDI items, NOT dragging the ends of a MIDI or Audio item to loop it.

EDIT: one last thing, I got a crash when opening a channel FX window during playback, Reaper stopped working, and I got the soundcard glitch noise where the buffer stops being updated and it repeats the buffer over and over again.

Last edited by _Devin; 11-16-2008 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Additional clarification
Old 11-16-2008, 09:55 AM   #118
never_mind

Yes, all that look very promising. But don't forget the most important thing: anti-aliased curves on the Fade-In / Fade-Out buttons.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:59 AM   #119
Ben Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by xackley View Post
When creating a sub folder the mixer is not updated

I have the mix docked, using the Classic Theme
drag a track in a folder up/right to create a sub folder.

The folder icon is not displayed in the mixer.

Moving the cursor over the number area in the Mixer makes the folder icon appear, so it looks to be a redraw problem.
I was just going to report the same thing. Related to this, folder tracks still don't have numbers, which seems wrong to me and always has the potential to cause confusion. I can see from a layout point of view this might be tricky - where does the number go? - but there are ways aound this and it's a necessity IMO.

Ben
Old 11-16-2008, 10:00 AM   #120
semiquaver

if its any clue, the graphic probs on mac only happen when either in full screen mode, or when the Reaper window is almost as wide as the screen ...
Closed Thread