Old 02-03-2011, 02:14 PM   #81
BenK-msx
Human being with feelings
 
BenK-msx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: uk
Posts: 5,077
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolyloach View Post
Inline MIDI editing would be an incredible blessing, but I'm not sure it's going to happen in the near future (if at all).
just an fyi point - you know reaper does this now, not amazingly but its there.

select midi item + hit E

mildly agree with the gist of your post, just that jumped out at me..
BenK-msx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:46 PM   #82
Arnar
Human being with feelings
 
Arnar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Smokie Bay.
Posts: 796
Default

I agree with the OP .

Feel is important , I'd venture to say that it's more important than about half of the features in Reaper.

If Reaper were an actual life size studio , what would it look and feel like working there ? Amazing yet slightly frustrating ? Full of possibilities and therefore no boundaries? Would I "feel" in control ?

Having the possibility to route stuff to China and back does not necessarily make me "feel" in control.Maybe it's up to me to throw up some walls and create some boundaries , my workspace. But then again ,I'm not a carpenter, can't use a hammer to be honest.

And why are they painting the walls when the hasn't the Ac been fixed ? It was installed 3 years ago and I'm sweating like a pig?

But most importantly , would you love to make music there despite the construction noise,insane heat and no toilet?

In my case , Yes ..but at some point , you want the studio to be finished, cleaned up , everything patched and ready to go ...music time!

Will that day ever come ?

These are the questions that need to be asked

It's a "feel" thing.
__________________
In Music We Trust.
http://soundcloud.com/hazar
http://soundcloud.com/ifthenrun
Arnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:56 PM   #83
hopi
Human being with feelings
 
hopi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Right Hear
Posts: 13,851
Default

sorry but totally don't 'get' this whole thread...

to me reaper, even in V4 is very, very useable...
I am much happier being able to config and set things up as "I" want rather than having the DAW company do it for me... but, that's just me.

but if that is not true [yet] for 'you', why not just go use PT, Sonar, Cubase, Studio One,Logic,DP,FLS,etc.?

What? you don't like the costs of those? Or the development schedule.. Ahah..yes, indeed that IS unfortunate... well at least we can agree on something!
__________________
...should be fixed for the next build... http://tinyurl.com/cr7o7yl
https://soundcloud.com/hopikiva/angel-rain
hopi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:07 PM   #84
ceanganb
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Brazil
Posts: 278
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolyloach View Post
I'll chime in briefly.. I like Reaper in a lot of ways, and it's replaced Acid Pro 7 as my main DAW, but as with any software it could use some improvment.. I'm mainly a composer/performer and MIDI is critical to what I do. Compared to a lot of other DAWs, MIDI editing in Reaper is cumbersome.
Well, I never meant to start any DAW wars, and I only wish Reaper to get better. Maybe my expectations in MIDI were too high for v4, for I trust Reaper's dev team more than any other. It fells like the guys are able to do anything they want, so I'm a little bit disappointed. And MIDI is half the part of my workflow, hence the frustration.

Quote:
Sure, it Gets The Job Done(tm) but it literally takes me twice as long for some complex compositions than it did in Acid. Inline MIDI editing would be an incredible blessing, but I'm not sure it's going to happen in the near future (if at all). "Functional but clumsy".. or has been said before.. unpolished.
That's my point. I have myself ´almost´ finished 3 to 4 songs in Reaper, then again I needed deep MIDI editing and I simply got tired. I surely could have finished them in Reaper, but the amount of work would be doubled to me as well.

Quote:
Despite it, I'm hanging in there for now. I've dealt with worse, and the fact that Reaper has never crashed, never lost my work, once - even in heavy effects-swapping and sound-mangling sessions lasting hours - makes it worth dealing with the rough edges (for now, anyway).
Stability and compatibility are the most important reasons I haven't left Reaper before. I'll miss that for sure. But, let's see: as soon as the project gets heavy loaded, I click one button, freeze and free CPU cycles are back again. And to freeze a track is so fast in Cubase I don't even care how much time it takes.

Quote:
I really REALLY don't like the way the FX window works, but it's mostly an aesthetics thing for me (aside from popping around all the windows when I have a carpload of effects I'm trying to adjust).
An inspector, a very old DAW idea, would have been so useful. The docker is not the same thing, unless we could have more than one mixer.

Quote:
Would Cubase be a better composers tool? Possibly, or even Sonar. But given the complaints on stability I've heard, I'm not willing to risk it.
To be honest, I haven't seen major problems when I worked with Cubase. At least v5.

Quote:
I'll keep voting for MIDI FRs and hope that either (a) Cockos will improve 'em or (b) Sony ships Acid Pro 8 and fixes all the bugs, plus solves a bunch of compatability issues it has with some VSTi.. erm.. I'll hope for (a).
Just to elucidate the fact that I'm sad. But I'm not sad with anyone, the devs or anyone else, just with the fact that I couldn't adopt Reaper's way of life completely. And, of course, I'm sad with the $499 bucks I've just spent. But every time I look at the window and I'm mad to learn how to ´walterize´ my Reaper. I have made some modifications to v3 theme myself, although small, they were helpful. I want to think of a way to have multiple MIDI items open, customize some actions to be able to edit data and keyswitches in different and synchronized windows. Then I think of all the work it'll take and the time I've lost customizing colors, keys and programming Python, and I just want to make music again. I repeat, you can make music in Reaper as well as in any other DAWs, but not me, with Reaper I FEEL the need to customize, not to play and record.

P.S.: Just as a suggestion, have you devs ever contacted Don, the Overture 4 developer and try an integration? It's a dream I had, that Reaper would sync with overture I would never need anything else.

I rest my case.
__________________
Ceanganb
ceanganb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:17 PM   #85
bitrate
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
to me reaper, even in V4 is very, very useable...
It certainly is, and it's stable and fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
I am much happier being able to config and set things up as "I" want rather than having the DAW company do it for me... but, that's just me.
Me too, because in the long run, although effort on our part, it can ultimately work the way we want. I don't see this thread as a bashing thing. Everyone has formed opinions about how they interact with something. I think the thread is just to discuss usability-type observations from those using it, which really isn't a bad thing.
bitrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:18 PM   #86
koolkeys
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 952
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
sorry but totally don't 'get' this whole thread...

to me reaper, even in V4 is very, very useable...
I am much happier being able to config and set things up as "I" want rather than having the DAW company do it for me... but, that's just me.

but if that is not true [yet] for 'you', why not just go use PT, Sonar, Cubase, Studio One,Logic,DP,FLS,etc.?

What? you don't like the costs of those? Or the development schedule.. Ahah..yes, indeed that IS unfortunate... well at least we can agree on something!
I don't know why the suggestion always has to be "if you don't like it, go elsewhere". And why is there a need to always dig at other companies? So they cost more. And? Where did price ever come into it?

I think you missed the point of the thread.

Brent
koolkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:21 PM   #87
musicbynumbers
Human being with feelings
 
musicbynumbers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: brighton, uk
Posts: 12,589
Default in defence of MIDI in reaper :)

For me MIDI editing in reaper actually has a lot of benefits, you can draw in notes, change velocity, change size and delete notes without any tools or even modifiers. That's much faster than a few popular daws I know.

Plus you can select multiple notes or CCs via time selection and copy and paste it very easily, you can copy CCs with the notes as you move them too, you can timestretch a selection of notes, you can rename notes (that's jsut of the top of my head.)

These things have been very helpful to me and although they are not exclusive, most at the time of switching to reaper were.

YES there is stuff missing but I actually think reaper does the basics pretty well and I prefer it massively to at least Cubase, logic and protools (not to mention ableton)
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:52 PM   #88
SEA
Human being with feelings
 
SEA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: By The Sea
Posts: 2,123
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceanganb View Post
I have myself ´almost´ finished 3 to 4 songs in Reaper, then again I needed deep MIDI editing and I simply got tired.
What kind of deep midi editing do you need (or want?)

SEA
__________________
JamieSEA

http://www.facebook.com/jamieseamusic
SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:10 PM   #89
nicholas
Human being with feelings
 
nicholas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Van Diemen's Land
Posts: 8,963
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkeys View Post
I'll try and make another post soon with more specifics. Good point.

Brent
Hi Brent, unless I've missed it, it seems we're still waiting for this.

Seems to me that it's difficult to respond to your comments unless its clear exactly what it is you'e not happy with ...
__________________
Learning Manuals and Reaper Books
REAPER Unleashed - ReaMix - REAPER User Guide
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/glazfolk
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:39 PM   #90
pc999
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 354
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
just an fyi point - you know reaper does this now, not amazingly but its there.

select midi item + hit E

mildly agree with the gist of your post, just that jumped out at me..
I know, it is incredible how impractical it is in Reaper and how functional it is in Reason.

The Midi windows seems a disjointed dancer while you try to work around with different items in different octave/keys and the such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
Hi Brent, unless I've missed it, it seems we're still waiting for this.

Seems to me that it's difficult to respond to your comments unless its clear exactly what it is you'e not happy with ...
It is hard to talk about the felling of things...
________
Live sex webshows

Last edited by pc999; 08-22-2011 at 05:04 PM.
pc999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:48 PM   #91
Mercado_Negro
Moderator
 
Mercado_Negro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Caracas, Venezuela
Posts: 8,245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
Hi Brent, unless I've missed it, it seems we're still waiting for this.

Seems to me that it's difficult to respond to your comments unless its clear exactly what it is you'e not happy with ...
Yes, I'm also waiting for this. This is, again, another thread full of vague ideas/comments and zero specifics beside 2 or 3 posts a few pages back with screenshots of 'possible' REAPER windows appearances. We're not gaining anything with a discussion like this, it's happened a million times in the past and nothing concrete has come out of it, please be specific if you want changes.
__________________
Pressure is what turns coal into diamonds - Michael a.k.a. Runaway
Mercado_Negro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:50 PM   #92
nightscope
Human being with feelings
 
nightscope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,032
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc999 View Post
It is hard to talk about the felling of things...
Exactly. Reaper being the Swiss chainsaw of DAW's an' all. It's a lumberjack thang.

Brent during one of his "unfortunate feeling" episodes.



ns
nightscope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:58 PM   #93
karl
Human being with feelings
 
karl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sheffield, England
Posts: 486
Default

Hmm... I dunno. I can't quite put my finger on it either, but for me it's about the smell. REAPER just doesn't quite smell right I don't think. It's not exactly an unpleasant smell or anything - it's quite nice in its own way - but it's just not, you know, right.

Hope that's cleared that up!
karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:13 PM   #94
koolkeys
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 952
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
Hi Brent, unless I've missed it, it seems we're still waiting for this.

Seems to me that it's difficult to respond to your comments unless its clear exactly what it is you'e not happy with ...
Correct, I've been in and out. Between getting ready for the baby and big projects at work, I've only been able to jump in and out quickly. I do plan on giving some specifics ASAP though.

But just as mentioned earlier, not everything is something I can put my finger on. Some things are just intangible about how things feel. I did mention other things like some interface inconsistencies, and there are definitely issues with things like inline MIDI, so I'll try my best to get those listed soon!

Brent
koolkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:15 PM   #95
musicroom
Human being with feelings
 
musicroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 618
Default

All of the DAWs out there have their own personality / appeal. I think if Reaper is lacking somewhere for anyone, then make suggestions on how to improve it. While on that note - I suggest a change from name Reaper to Musicroom. There you go, major feeling shift right there.





_
__________________
http://www.davidmillersongs.com
musicroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:19 PM   #96
hopi
Human being with feelings
 
hopi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Right Hear
Posts: 13,851
Default

Quote:
I don't know why the suggestion always has to be "if you don't like it, go elsewhere". And why is there a need to always dig at other companies? So they cost more. And? Where did price ever come into it?

I think you missed the point of the thread.
perhaps.,.. perhaps I have... care say again precisely what IS the point just for my benefit? [well it seems a few others could use it also]

I don't think I bashed any other DAW... why would I? I on occassion run into and use almost all of them...

At the same time I see comments from people here that clearly say they don't like something or other and at the same time the comment itself tells they don't know how to use reaper. [...wish I could open more than one midi editor... Hey I can, why not you too?] so hey, all threads are 'ok' but some get to be more hilarious than others...

So let's be very clear... I have my opinions, so be it. I like reaper better than other DAW mostly. So good for me. I don't give a RTAS what DAW you use... live long and be happy. AND, when I see all the bitchin' and moaning about NOT being as happy with reaper as with some other DAW... simple logic says, "well fine, go use that other DAW"... which IN-FREAKIN'-EVITABLY gets taken by the OP's as "why does it always have to be...."

Comon kiddies.... if you don't like the shoes you wear what do you do about it? Wear other shoes?

OK... well likely somehow I missed the point again but I just can't put my finger on how I missed it.
__________________
...should be fixed for the next build... http://tinyurl.com/cr7o7yl
https://soundcloud.com/hopikiva/angel-rain
hopi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:35 PM   #97
pac-man
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: a basement nearby
Posts: 541
Default

I feel this way too.

Strangely enough, it's exactly like ME! How i dress, make music, appear, you name it.

My conclusion is that Reaper probably has ADHD too
pac-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:00 PM   #98
gpunk_w
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,197
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
Comon kiddies.... if you don't like the shoes you wear what do you do about it? Wear other shoes?
Yeah all the kiddies wore BKs, then Adidas came up with a much better design, BK kept its cool but slightly uncomfortable design.
Years go by and Adidas keep releasing comfortable designs, BK meanwhile go out of business because all the kiddies didn't like their designs.

Might be a simple marketing lesson in there somewhere.
gpunk_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:11 PM   #99
bobbackwards
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Forsyth, Georgia USA
Posts: 44
Default

I am a complete idiot and I "get" reaper...I mean I am really an idiot. When all of the really smart DAW users start talking shop I am completely lost yet I still make A LOT of music in Reaper. I just don't get the fuss. What did I pay for Reaper again? I mean holy crap! Do I want Reaper to be better, of course I do. So here is an example of what I would call a good user comment:

"When I open Jamstix 3 in Reaper if I want to do any bar editing or sound previewing I have to click out of Jamstix and then back to reaper to start over. I don't know if this is a Jamstix thing, a Reaper thing, or a preference setting I have overlooked. Can I get some help?"

Every question I have ever had about Reaper I have been able to find on the forum 99% of the time just by searching. That I is why I have such a pitiful amount of posts for someone who has been a user since V1. I am not preaching I really just don't get it (the OP I mean)
bobbackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:15 PM   #100
gpunk_w
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,197
Default

Trying to say one user comment is more legitimate (Or good) than any other, I think you may be walking on slippery ice there haha
gpunk_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:25 PM   #101
pc999
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 354
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
Yes, I'm also waiting for this. This is, again, another thread full of vague ideas/comments and zero specifics beside 2 or 3 posts a few pages back with screenshots of 'possible' REAPER windows appearances. We're not gaining anything with a discussion like this, it's happened a million times in the past and nothing concrete has come out of it, please be specific if you want changes.
Although it may not solve everything there is a lot of specific ideias around this threads. Here is a few.

1- A consistent midi window here you dont need to close and open each time you want to work or just see a Midi item, you just go foward in the track to see what is next.

2- In Line Midi editing to be consistent in all their items/tracks, ie, all the item being presented in the same octave/keys at the same size/zoom, not need to make each item inline etc... (eg Reason)

3- Having tools like pencil and eraser (you can still have all the shortcuts, options and right clicks you want, it is a addition to that).

Those are 3 very specifics that I can think of (all of them said before IIRC), but I must confess that I will be very hard for me to talk about specifics in the GUI...
________
BustyGirl21

Last edited by pc999; 08-22-2011 at 05:04 PM.
pc999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:32 PM   #102
pc999
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 354
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbackwards View Post
I am a complete idiot and I "get" reaper...I mean I am really an idiot. When all of the really smart DAW users start talking shop I am completely lost yet I still make A LOT of music in Reaper. I just don't get the fuss. What did I pay for Reaper again? I mean holy crap! Do I want Reaper to be better, of course I do. So here is an example of what I would call a good user comment:

"When I open Jamstix 3 in Reaper if I want to do any bar editing or sound previewing I have to click out of Jamstix and then back to reaper to start over. I don't know if this is a Jamstix thing, a Reaper thing, or a preference setting I have overlooked. Can I get some help?"

Every question I have ever had about Reaper I have been able to find on the forum 99% of the time just by searching. That I is why I have such a pitiful amount of posts for someone who has been a user since V1. I am not preaching I really just don't get it (the OP I mean)

It is not about being a idiot or not is just that one does work better with different designs.

I did bought Reaper thinking "it just because I still not used to its workflo, the price and features will worth it".

Almost 8-9 months later each time I demo Live (or use lite since last week)or Reason I still find that even knowing much less of the DAW I do start and go as far as I can within their limitations.

But that said it happens the same (although to a lesser extent) with Studio One Artist (the NAMM deal).
________
Buy cannabis seeds

Last edited by pc999; 08-22-2011 at 05:04 PM.
pc999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:45 PM   #103
bobbackwards
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Forsyth, Georgia USA
Posts: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpunk_w View Post
Trying to say one user comment is more legitimate (Or good) than any other, I think you may be walking on slippery ice there haha
Ahhh yes...I am not trying to be critical or start anything I just don't get it. For example I have a number of bass guitars but my two primary ones are a Fender 5 string Jazz and a Rickenbacker. The Fender "feels" better to me. The Rick is a fantastic bass and does some things the Jazz won't and vice-versa. Now if I was able to put my input into Rickenbacker's bass design I wouldn't say "it just doesn't feel right," I would say "I need a wider neck and I would like the bridge to be sturdier and easier to adjust." Like I said on page one horses for courses...
bobbackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:47 PM   #104
bobbackwards
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Forsyth, Georgia USA
Posts: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc999 View Post
Although it may not solve everything there is a lot of specific ideias around this threads. Here is a few.

1- A consistent midi window here you dont need to close and open each time you want to work or just see a Midi item, you just go foward in the track to see what is next.

2- In Line Midi editing to be consistent in all their items/tracks, ie, all the item being presented in the same octave/keys at the same size/zoom, not need to make each item inline etc... (eg Reason)

3- Having tools like pencil and eraser (you can still have all the shortcuts, options and right clicks you want, it is a addition to that).

Those are 3 very specifics that I can think of (all of them said before IIRC), but I must confess that I will be very hard for me to talk about specifics in the GUI...
These things have been said many times in many other threads as you state...so I still don't get the OP
bobbackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:53 PM   #105
musicroom
Human being with feelings
 
musicroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 618
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
Hi Brent, unless I've missed it, it seems we're still waiting for this.

Seems to me that it's difficult to respond to your comments unless its clear exactly what it is you'e not happy with ...


I got it - Brent wants a divorce.



_
__________________
http://www.davidmillersongs.com
musicroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:02 PM   #106
COCPORN
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oslo
Posts: 101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkeys View Post
(...)
Maybe it's an unfortunate side-effect of the development process? I don't know.
(...)
Your analogy with the house actually makes a lot of sense. In the now classic book on computer programming called "Pragmatic Programmer", there's a section called "Beware of broken windows". The rationale for the section is basically this: If you park your car in the street and it is in great shape, it will remain in great shape for a long time. But once the first window is broken, the state of the car will deteriorate quickly, people will smash windows, spraypaint it and slash tires. There is a mental process when you see a "broken window", which causes, what I can only guess, is what you "feel" in the original post. (Sorry if the analogy isn't 100% correct, I wrote that from memory, and it's been years since I read the book. )

REAPER developers constantly show you broken windows in alpha builds, and even sometimes in stable builds. This isn't a sign that REAPER will deteriorate in any way. It's just the psychological effect of seeing the broken windows. All software has broken windows, but most software of this kind have huge teams of QA workers assuring that you, the end user, never see them. REAPER developers are awesome at fixing broken windows, but they sometimes do allow you to see them first, which gives this psychological effect that something might be wrong. You should start worrying when a windows breaks, and stays broken for months. This happens with other software, and I guess to a degree with certain features in REAPER too, and this might be a real sign of code rot; code that just isn't getting attention any longer and is truly deteriorating by becoming unwieldy. Still, keep in mind; it might just be the psychological effect of seeing the broken window.

I have my issues with REAPER still, but I've tried going back to the other guys, and I just can't do it anymore. The things that I one day might imagine are annoying to push me back to Ableton Live or the Reason/Record-combo I realize for my workflow are nitpicking when it comes to the huge problems I immediately encounter in those environments.

After using REAPER version 3 for a while, and now following the pre-release cycle of version 4, I'm starting to "get" REAPER. It wasn't easy, but I'm starting to feel "flow" when I'm using it. I used to be impressed by the community and the agile and open development process, but now I'm a fanboy because of the actual product, and it feels pretty good.

Sorry if I'm nerding out.
COCPORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:08 PM   #107
koolkeys
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 952
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
perhaps.,.. perhaps I have... care say again precisely what IS the point just for my benefit? [well it seems a few others could use it also]
I say you missed the point because I never said I wanted to stop using Reaper. I DO use other hosts, but I have uses for Reaper, and I'm fine using it for those uses. Is it so bad to vent a little? I have complaints with every host out there. Should I just write my own? That's where I think you missed it. I never said I hated it or anything, but just that it didn't have the polished "feel" that I would hope to have.

Quote:
I don't think I bashed any other DAW... why would I? I on occassion run into and use almost all of them...
Well, part of it was this:

Quote:
What? you don't like the costs of those? Or the development schedule.. Ahah..yes, indeed that IS unfortunate... well at least we can agree on something!
It's not a specific host, but it's a jab at pretty much all other hosts that don't cost less. I just don't know why comments need to be inserted like that. No harm done, but I just don't know why.

Quote:
At the same time I see comments from people here that clearly say they don't like something or other and at the same time the comment itself tells they don't know how to use reaper. [...wish I could open more than one midi editor... Hey I can, why not you too?] so hey, all threads are 'ok' but some get to be more hilarious than others...
But where in my post suggests I don't know how to use it? Of course I do. I use it every day for one thing or another, and I've read much of the manual, watched videos, followed development since it was a baby. I understand Reaper, and I get it's appeal. I just don't think it has the polished feel, that's all.

Quote:
So let's be very clear... I have my opinions, so be it. I like reaper better than other DAW mostly. So good for me. I don't give a RTAS what DAW you use... live long and be happy. AND, when I see all the bitchin' and moaning about NOT being as happy with reaper as with some other DAW... simple logic says, "well fine, go use that other DAW"... which IN-FREAKIN'-EVITABLY gets taken by the OP's as "why does it always have to be...."

Comon kiddies.... if you don't like the shoes you wear what do you do about it? Wear other shoes?
But if you like the shoes, but there is a scuff on the side, or a little stitch missing, you don't necessarily need to wear other shoes. The reason I don't like that answer is because it's just not always a needed step to go use something else. But it seems that so often, at even a minor complaint, that's what people say. It just gets old, ya know?

Brent
koolkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:24 PM   #108
pc999
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 354
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbackwards View Post
These things have been said many times in many other threads as you state...so I still don't get the OP
For the love of god I couldnt say anytime soon what is wrong with the GUI, but I am sure I dont like it, so I do get the OP when it says that he cant point the finger at...
________
Iamhotlikehell

Last edited by pc999; 08-22-2011 at 05:04 PM.
pc999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:06 PM   #109
bobbackwards
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Forsyth, Georgia USA
Posts: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc999 View Post
For the love of god I couldnt say anytime soon what is wrong with the GUI, but I am sure I dont like it, so I do get the OP when it says that he cant point the finger at...
I don't like squash, so when I am offered squash I don't eat it and when I am at the grocery store I don't buy it. I like pumpkins though, pumpkins are good, pumpkins are orange, I like orange, orange is a nice color and I like pie, you can make pies out of pumpkins. Pie is good with whip cream, whip cream is white. I don't like yogurt even though its white. Well actually sometimes yogurt can be pink or blue, I still don't like it though...

Gotta love the internet!
bobbackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:25 PM   #110
pc999
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 354
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbackwards View Post
I don't like squash, so when I am offered squash I don't eat it and when I am at the grocery store I don't buy it. I like pumpkins though, pumpkins are good, pumpkins are orange, I like orange, orange is a nice color and I like pie, you can make pies out of pumpkins. Pie is good with whip cream, whip cream is white. I don't like yogurt even though its white. Well actually sometimes yogurt can be pink or blue, I still don't like it though...

Gotta love the internet!
Ok...


Anyway there is things I like about Reaper, like I said long ago in the thread.
________
apartments Pattaya

Last edited by pc999; 08-22-2011 at 05:04 PM.
pc999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:42 PM   #111
ceanganb
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Brazil
Posts: 278
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA View Post
What kind of deep midi editing do you need (or want?)

SEA
Handling of keyswitches, a la VST Expression or at very least split MIDI window with named notes reorder-able, MFX support (though JS is a good replacement, I miss some important MFX plugins); automatable MIDI modifiers and CC's (yes, there are ways of doing this in Reaper, but with JS inserts and not straightforward); continuous CC view (after all, CC = control change that is continuous by nature); polyphonic audition of notes; score editor, though no DAW's is great, at least very useful and logical to view arrangements; step sequencer; maybe others I'm forgetting, but that's enough for me.
__________________
Ceanganb
ceanganb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:03 PM   #112
ceanganb
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Brazil
Posts: 278
Default

There's one thing I can't forget: Reaper simply doesn't have an updated user manual. Last manual refers to version 3.67, and final Reaper is 3.75. Open Reaper 3 and read the changelog: there are a few new features that are undocumented. Reaper is a complex beast and, as such, should have a constantly updated manual. I strongly appreciate Geoffrey's work and even bought his book, but where is the latest version manual? You have to read the forums constantly to know what's happening, and that's not the best way to get help, in my opinion.

Even so, I still love Reaper, you might not believe
__________________
Ceanganb
ceanganb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:29 PM   #113
koolkeys
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 952
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceanganb View Post
There's one thing I can't forget: Reaper simply doesn't have an updated user manual. Last manual refers to version 3.67, and final Reaper is 3.75. Open Reaper 3 and read the changelog: there are a few new features that are undocumented. Reaper is a complex beast and, as such, should have a constantly updated manual. I strongly appreciate Geoffrey's work and even bought his book, but where is the latest version manual? You have to read the forums constantly to know what's happening, and that's not the best way to get help, in my opinion.

Even so, I still love Reaper, you might not believe
I don't have a problem with the manual. I don't know if he gets paid to do it at all, but it IS very difficult to keep up with writing everything. Every time a command or button moves, the manual needs an update.

I don't fault the manual really. Though I do like having a complete manual, I can understand it being behind.

Brent
koolkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:42 PM   #114
nicholas
Human being with feelings
 
nicholas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Van Diemen's Land
Posts: 8,963
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceanganb View Post
There's one thing I can't forget: Reaper simply doesn't have an updated user manual. Last manual refers to version 3.67, and final Reaper is 3.75. Open Reaper 3 and read the changelog: there are a few new features that are undocumented. Reaper is a complex beast and, as such, should have a constantly updated manual. I strongly appreciate Geoffrey's work and even bought his book, but where is the latest version manual? You have to read the forums constantly to know what's happening, and that's not the best way to get help, in my opinion.

Even so, I still love Reaper, you might not believe
I think you're perhaps being just a tad fussy here, if you don't mind my saying so. If you check the changelogs you will find that there are very few changes between 3.67 and 3.75 which need documenting - mostly (though admiottedly not entirely) bug fixes and performance enhancements.

I might also point out that I don't know of any other DAW which produces updates to the documentation between major releases (i.e at "dot" releases).

P.S. You'll get your wish perhaps when REAPER 4.0 finally sees the light of day. Rewriting the entire document for that from start to end is for me a much higher priority.
__________________
Learning Manuals and Reaper Books
REAPER Unleashed - ReaMix - REAPER User Guide
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/glazfolk

Last edited by nicholas; 02-03-2011 at 09:49 PM.
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:15 PM   #115
ceanganb
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Brazil
Posts: 278
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
I think you're perhaps being just a tad fussy here, if you don't mind my saying so. If you check the changelogs you will find that there are very few changes between 3.67 and 3.75 which need documenting - mostly (though admiottedly not entirely) bug fixes and performance enhancements.

I might also point out that I don't know of any other DAW which produces updates to the documentation between major releases (i.e at "dot" releases).

P.S. You'll get your wish perhaps when REAPER 4.0 finally sees the light of day. Rewriting the entire document for that from start to end is for me a much higher priority.
Yes, like I mentioned, very few changes, but they are there. And I'm not saying it's your fault or something like that, nor I meant to offend you, as I'm sure you do your best and do really well to be honest. It's the development pace and approach that makes it hard to keep up with the changes. But then I left the original intent of the thread - although it contributes to the sensation of incompleteness aspect of the project - and that was not my intention. After all, what I'm trying to say is Reaper is not for me the way it works for the moment, and that's all in the end. I rest my case again
__________________
Ceanganb
ceanganb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:30 PM   #116
tls11823
Human being with feelings
 
tls11823's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Harrisburg, PA USA
Posts: 1,382
Default

So to recap: there are some things that people don't like, and they can't explain what they are. But they'll continue to complain until those things are fixed.

Is that about right?
__________________
We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about.
--Charles Kingsley... or maybe Albert Einstein... definitely somebody wiser than myself--
tls11823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:51 PM   #117
hwhalen
Human being with feelings
 
hwhalen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 899
Default

Tracktion 3.0.4.8 Built 4 Feb 2008.
I use it occasionally. It has many strengths, but...

Reaper might be unfinished, but it is being improved. A strength IMHO.

I have been using Pro Tools LE 8.0.4 for a band project recently.
On borrowed equipment.
Some compatibility with PRO studios, I'm told. OK.

Clothes, like software comes and goes in and out of style.
A change of clothes from time to time is good.
Makes you appreciate what you regularly wear.
__________________
My Music
Noise From My Head
On The Links
hwhalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:40 AM   #118
daverich
Human being with feelings
 
daverich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,605
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tls11823 View Post
So to recap: there are some things that people don't like, and they can't explain what they are. But they'll continue to complain until those things are fixed.

Is that about right?
Yes.

I'm thinking this is more about alpha/beta fatigue than anything concrete.

Reaper is fucking awesome and to be honest I'm pretty astounded by some of the moaning on here.

I like the utilitarian style of it, it's a tool that works, in a way that is incredibly powerful and efficient and stable.

Moaning about some general discontentment with it is kinda like moaning about the colour of a jack-hammer....

Kind regards

Dave Rich
__________________
Get access to all my original music as well as videos and free gigs at:-
Patreon.com/daverich
http://www.daverichband.com
daverich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:13 AM   #119
gpunk_w
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,197
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tls11823 View Post
So to recap: there are some things that people don't like, and they can't explain what they are. But they'll continue to complain until those things are fixed.

Is that about right?
I think if i listed the things i don't like the forum would break hahaha, then again if i listed the things i like it wouldn't be much smaller.
gpunk_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:19 AM   #120
gpunk_w
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,197
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverich View Post
Yes.

I'm thinking this is more about alpha/beta fatigue than anything concrete.

Reaper is fucking awesome and to be honest I'm pretty astounded by some of the moaning on here.

I like the utilitarian style of it, it's a tool that works, in a way that is incredibly powerful and efficient and stable.

Moaning about some general discontentment with it is kinda like moaning about the colour of a jack-hammer....

Kind regards

Dave Rich
Actually i think you are wildly wide of the mark here to be honest, I suspect this is more a case of Cockos aiming to interact with its users regularly to achieve improvements, and like it or not some people are not getting anything to improve THEIR particular way of working in recent updates.

It seems funny when somebody jumps into a thread and claims "Reaper is so awesome" and does not qualify that statement with "For me"
Reaper is what it is, for some it is awesome, for others it is a bit incomplete in some areas or untidy in other areas.
gpunk_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.