CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 03-31-2017, 09:47 AM   #1
ConnorLRSS
Human being with feelings

Default AAX Crashing on OS X

Hey everyone,

I've been getting reports from my OS X AAX beta testers that their sessions are crashing when using my plug-in. It seems that sometimes it just crashes upon loading and sometimes it just crashes when the controls are moved too quickly.

I'm just curious if anyone else has had this issue, or if there are some general rules in building AAX that I should be aware of.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

EDIT: I'm using the wdl-ol master branch and the AAX is digitally signed.

Resolved: Using earlevel's branch seems to have fixed this issue

Last edited by ConnorLRSS; 04-01-2017 at 09:26 AM.
ConnorLRSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:30 PM   #2
earlevel

You don't say what platform (Mac? Win? Both?), or what version of wdl/IPlug (master branch of wdl/ol? my earlevel fork of that?) Are you using PACE copy protection? What does crash mean—hang? Memory access error?

I can at least assure you that I have an aax shipping on Mac that doesn't crash—no crash bug reports at any point of development. The Win version doesn't crash either, but sorting out whether to work around an apparent Pro Tools issue with cursor management on Win before shipping there.

So, I think you'll have to do some debugging—I don't know that you're going to find an answer here like, "oh yeah, if you forget to do this, it's will crash intermittently..."
earlevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 04:06 PM   #3
ConnorLRSS

Um yeah sorry, I clearly didn't include a lot of crucial information, except for the fact that I indicated both in the title and in the post that this was happening on OS X... I'm using the wdl-ol master branch and the AAX is PACE copy protected.

All of the other formats are working flawlessly, so I thought my issue may have been due to something AAX-build specific. These kinds of "gotchas" are quite common in software development, so I didn't think my question would be outlandish. Though, I will admit my phrasing wasn't great.

Anyway, I'm currently lacking a license for a Pro Tools developer copy (waiting) and I'm in the process of trying to get a product ready for shipping, so I was just going out on a whim... I apologize...

Last edited by ConnorLRSS; 03-31-2017 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:57 PM   #4
earlevel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorLRSS View Post
Um yeah sorry, I clearly didn't include a lot of crucial information, except for the fact that I indicated both in the title and in the post that this was happening on OS X... I'm using the wdl-ol master branch and the AAX is PACE copy protected...
See my AAX posts on the forum here, but there are many issues issues with wdl/ol master for AAX. Olli's AAXParams branch get closer, but there are many bugs that will break automation in particular. Here's my fork:

https://github.com/earlevel/wdl-ol/tree/earlevel
earlevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:15 PM   #5
ConnorLRSS

Great - your fork looks a lot better. I'll probably be using it from here on. Thanks for the help!