Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 10-25-2018, 11:52 AM   #1
s wave
Human being with feelings

Default What is your recording set-up? Native Linux OS & Hardware?

I would like to know your basic recording build. Basic bug and glitch fixes. (how you overcame basic hurdles) to get your rig rolling... Please list components similar to my build below. I am AMD fan and have a mediocre build. But It runs smooth as butter and does all I need it to do. Below is some basic likes and info. And how hardware interacts with software.

CPU: AMD FX 8320e (8core) underclocked
MOBO: M5A97 LE R2.0
GPU: GTX 650
Monitor: HPw19b
Interface: Focusrite Scarlett SOLO (2nd gen)
Speakers: Fisher STA-381L 120 watt per channel
Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-M30 (20hz-20khz)
Keyboard: Yamaha KX61 (older Midi Controller Synth)
DAW REAPER (backed up with Ardour 4/5 Audacity LMMS etc)
Mics F-96 SONY (yes 50=years old) AKG D8000M Dynamic Vocal Microphone

CPU powers a dozen programs with no problem so I under clocked it.
MOBO an older work horse 970 chipset stays cool w/air (watch you usb plugins!!! some USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 are not backward or forward compatible. I learned this from old apple user. And yes I ran into this rare problem! Blue or Black usb port? Blue = USB 3.0 // Black is USB 2.0 port.
GPU does not bottleneck I use driver: xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
Version1:1.0.12-1build2
XOrgXserver-nouveau display driver
Monitor This was my hardest problem of the build! I had some random crashing and weird stuff going on once in a while in totally unrelated areas...Turned out to be the Monitor Driver!!! wow never would of found, guessed or seen it except for looking at the 'syslog' LOG! switched to generic driver and works fine. (If you have any weird anomaly or stuff going on this could be an answer for you) The old HP monitor driver was messing up my sound server! which messed up couple other programs... who wud of guessed)
Focusrite Solo works great (had to make Alsa priority over Pulse for sound
serving - really just a mobo sound routing
problem)
Fisher STA-381L work well for not being studio monitor quality, Loud Clear Nice Bass - I use the AT headphones for more clarity, standard 20hz to 20khz... and a cheap set of digital usb speakers too... for cheap low end referencing.
Love the old Yamaha KX61 keyboard. 20 years old maybe? sounds plays great. (It was originally made for CUBASE 4 great $50 find craiglsist lol)
The AKG D8000M Dynamic Vocal Microphone Can't say enough about this mic. Great side and room reflection rejection. $19 stupid deal of the week Guitar Center. I use it for anything. Sounds bight and sharp (similar to condenser)
I use Behringer ULTRAVOICE XM8500 for darker sounds. (similar to shure sm58 some people like it better! rolls low frequencies off at around 100hz) can be had around $10 used. OS MINT 19 Time Shift enabled (Highly recommended)for possible future trouble shooting (similar to Windows using last good known configuration) I have Logical Volume Manger 2 enabled if I have to expand or ADD Hard Drives or storage. (highly recommended IMO)
I am using CINNAMON as DE (desktop environment) flawless (Ubuntu Kernel 18,04) Love the PPA installation for adding unknown or untrusted software.
Finally REAPER Native Linux. What can I say best DAW in my opinion period.
tc can't wait to hear about your build... s wave
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 12:58 PM   #2
Glennbo

I'm using an Asus P7P55D / Intel i5 6GB RAM machine that I built with a couple Delta AP2496 cards. I've used the same machine for nine years, and it still runs great, only now on Linux.

As for monitors, I use a set of Yamaha MSP5s with a Yamaha sub, and a pair of JBL LSR308s with a Samson C-Control to switch between them.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 03:29 PM   #3
jazznfunk

Soundcraft Ui24r as main I/0 interface and almost default Linux Mint 19 XFCE x64 install on weak Celeron laptop (enough for non critical latency tracking, lean on FX) with default ALSA settings.

I'm unable to measure with Windows, but i'm exited how little CPU Reaper takes to run on this weak machine with built in and third party JS FX's. Of course, adding a lot of VST's (Airwindows, OrilRiver, klanghelm, TDR Labs) is near to impossible, but this is not what this laptop is for.

I even used this weak Celeron as "Control room" machine in remote recording session on 2 countryside cabins. I connected to this weak Celeron Full HD external monitor for remotely (by Reminna, via 30m cat5 cable between cabins) control recording i5 Windows laptop in "Studio cabin". I receive sound from "Studio cabin" Reaper via help of ReaStream (introduced latency was not problem) using the same cat5 and used my "Control room" Celerons main display as audio metering station (in Reaper, of course).

"Control room/cabin" monitoring system was 2x Adam audio A7 and Sony MDR-7506 connected to t.c. electronics BMC-2 monitor controller. Last was connected to Celereons USB via chinese SPDIF to USB stick. Linux, Reaper and ALSA has no issues with this stick. Worked like a charm.

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/hifi-...hz-p-6330.html

Talkback system was usual 1 channel wireless mic system, connected to active PA loudspeakers second input in "Studio cabin". First input was occupied with musicians mix for loud rehearsal w/out headphones (used for record).

Musicians rehearsal and recording AUX mixes was done entirely in Soundrcaft Ui24r who has a member of wired network, so i can make corrections from my good old Celeron's conneced display or with android pad from Soundcraft's built in WiFi AP if needed. Soundcraft also serves 2 patchable headphone outputs. Convenient.

Last edited by jazznfunk; 10-25-2018 at 03:41 PM.
jazznfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:30 PM   #4
s wave

Default Celeron works good?

Yes Jazznfunk... I was lucky to get a dead win 8 pre-loaed lenovo laptop... dead on upgrade - gifted to me. I just wiped firmware and it works good. It is 4 core Celeron I believe its about 2.0 gigahertz. I loaded REAPER with Fedora and Linux mint 19 on the laptop. TOUCH SCREEN even works WOW! (its a yoga 11) I am surprised how good it runs, I going to do the same as you. I will use it for remote recording or travel DAW. Scarlett Solo interface works great; plug n play. I might switch OS to XFCE too? Maybe LMDE3. What kind of quality are you getting out of Soundcraft Ui24r? tc s wave
Old 10-25-2018, 10:56 PM   #5
s wave

Default I had similar problems with windows....eating CPU

Ya James Peter... I do most recording without realtime monitoring (I usually use work arounds). As a 'novice' I did find some good tricks. When I want low low latency. One is like you said 'don't let the cpu throttle down' another is separating power or using more dedicated power: I threw another PSU in the PC and for running running hard drives and other things so the there is no drop in power... Less drop in power on critical parts like Mobo etc. I turn the 2nd PSU on when I start the PC. OLDER Athlon. I think a lot of latency comes from power management - I would love to have different power supplies for all the different components plugged into different wall outlets. (mmmm power conditioner too!) Dirty Power will mess with some recordings!
Adam A7 speakers got near 5 star reviews.
Samson Q7, CAD D189 mics were recommended on gearslutz. Better clarity and articulation than sm58 some say. Less bottom end.
I am like you I am aiming for a true clean recording... You have a NEVE or knock off? nice (Seventh Circle preamps are on my wish list, a DIY build starting around $100) I recently heard Focusrite Octo pre claretts vs $20k preamp set up - would be hard to tell difference on the blind - I thought it was a toss up... or close. I am wishing for Se 2200 large diaphram condenser mic (the older one with 8db signal to noise ratio...cardiod)
Don't give up on your singing! I believe anybody can sing... at least comp em. Take about 10 crazy clips of your singing High low falsetto goofy etc and then look at them on a graphic analyzer... I use SONIC Visualizer... and see if you see any neat overtoning or other interesting things going on then hit the EQ! neve giveup lol
I just got nice recording with strat knockoff through a VOX high bred amp. Beautiful old reverb dance hall sound.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:06 PM   #6
s wave

Default Delta AP2496 cards...

Those are m-audio? Are they Pcie cards... in one way I prefer PCIE over USB.
I can't complain though. If they are PCIE interfaces what is one of the advantages you like? I am going to try get get my hands on one. (the routing must be different than USB... I imagine they are more tweak=able or you can at least get more info for whats happening inside them etc. from teh OS.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:00 AM   #7
s wave

Default Mic & preamps

I never had a CAD mic - just what I heard (hearsay). sm58s have good sound capture pretty much throughout their dynamic range. I was just saying that within their relative dynamic ranges the CAD might have a bit more in the highs? (articulation) so relatively the sm58 have less in the highs meaning the sm58 might sound less high and maybe more 'low' relative to the CAD? anywho well stated by you. I also hear you on clean vs smooth etc on the preamps and the 'style' of music. I appreciate the offer... its out of my range right now... but things change. I definitely use whatever mic works or do a work around to try to get it to work. I am fairly new to digital recording hence the thread. I come from 2" tape... and pressing records on virgin American audiophile plastic or virgin German Teldec DTD. An interesting note: When I was making records most everything was smoother more velvety. Maybe from all the tubes and older types or ribbons and equipment; but cheaper condenser mics at times was quite refreshing. Think old tape with old ribbon mic = kinda dark smooth. (Dark + Dark = DARK) then Old tape analog with say jensen preamp and newer type condenser (Dark + Bright = GRAY) to more modern Digital Capture with modern condenser mics (Bright + Bright = BRIGHT) tc
Old 10-26-2018, 10:21 AM   #8
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
Those are m-audio? Are they Pcie cards... in one way I prefer PCIE over USB.
I can't complain though. If they are PCIE interfaces what is one of the advantages you like? I am going to try get get my hands on one. (the routing must be different than USB... I imagine they are more tweak=able or you can at least get more info for whats happening inside them etc. from teh OS.
They are not PCIe but PCI cards. I like those cards because they have worked flawlessly for me since around the year 2000. I originally had one of them in a dedicated GigaSampler machine and the other in a dedicated Cakewalk Sonar machine, both running Windows 98SE.

Then when I retired GigaStudio I put both of them into a Windows XP machine, then Windows 7, and finally now Xubuntu Linux.

They've been installed in five or six different motherboards over time, and just keep working. I get two midi interfaces by using them both too, which gives me inputs for both my V-Drums, and midi keyboard.

All that said, I am looking real seriously at the Behringer UMC1820 which would give me eight mic inputs for recording my acoustic drum kit, which I am currently doing with four using my Delta AP2496 cards.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:03 PM   #9
jazznfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
What kind of quality are you getting out of Soundcraft Ui24r? tc s wave
The very best They're really very pristine and clean sounding preamps!
Old 10-26-2018, 01:09 PM   #10
gennargiu

All my computer are gnu linux debian stretch + repository kx studio installed.
Other programs : Reaper,Mixbus 5,Ardour 5.12,tracktion waveform 9, t7,t6,Lmms,Qtractor,Sunvox 1.9.4,all plug in lv2,ldspa,vst freeware,paulstretch,cecilia,sonic-pi,rosegarden,Luppp,Sooperlooper......

My hardware computer : Hp elite 8200 sff i3 processor,16 giga ram - Asus x54c laptop (6 giga ram) - Raspberry pi3 (reaper,waveform 9,Sunvox 1.9.4)

Audio card : Maudio firewire solo ( On hp elite 8200 sff) or behringer uca 222 usb - Behringer Podcast studio usb ( On asus x54c and raspberry pi3)

Hw synth and effect : dx7 mki,roland d50,korg m1,alesis micron,microkorg mki,korg monotron series,teenage pocket engegnering ( office,factory,rhytmh) Bastl kast modular synth,korg volca sample,zoom ms 70 cdr,zoom g1 on

Monitor : esi near 05 ex + Edifier tcn 1000 - headphone pioneer - midisport 2x2 interface midi,midilink interface midi - behringer mixer xenix 1202
Old 10-26-2018, 02:39 PM   #11
s wave

Default PCI card

I picked up to old servers basically free ones. Xeon dual cpu. Thanks for the tip... I will look for some PCI cards and get those ole boys going... THey Must be circa 2000 - 2002. Has only PCI and PCIX outputs. Very limited on GPU power something like 128 mb lol. AGP also. (love to find those 1k mb agp cards; too expensive anyway) But a card like that might work well. I appreciate the explanation and idea! gennargiu: I like your keys/synth/effects nice
Old 10-26-2018, 02:44 PM   #12
s wave

Default Soundcraft Ui24r

"Soundcraft has a ready to go recording interface to any modern/classic laptop running Linux, IOS, Windows or Android, needs no clunky laggy ridiculous app to operate wireless, don't have to buy a wireless interface, Lexicon Effects, Dbx Processing, Built In AFS2, Seamless use of VST effects from your computer on any channel (easy to setup). You can use more than one Windows Audio program (Ableton and Cantabile 3) AT THE SAME TIME using the same driver (crazy!!)."

Add REAPER to that...

an old review from last year... interesting -- viva riga.
Old 10-27-2018, 12:23 AM   #13
jazznfunk

Don't know about 2 DAW's with same driver, but yeah, this blue box is beast on stage too (main purpose)! (BTW it runs internally on linux)

Very good 20 in/10 out audio card if You can live with 48 kHz (i can).

s wave, thank You, few days ago i went in Mažeikiai, LT.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:44 AM   #14
bmarkham

Default My build ...

MB: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3
Proc: AMD FX-8350 + big cooler
RAM: 16GB
Drives: I use a startech dual 2.5 hotswap bay + 240GB SSD drives for each OS

Native OS: KXStudio all the way baby! (Its a specialized Ubuntu build).
Daws: Ardour and Reaper

Outboard: Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 -- works out of the box with Cadence management of Jack

A variety of hardware synths + mics, none of which are linux specific. But how well MIDI works is rather important -- the midi comes and goes from the Scarlett, daisy-chained through the various synths and the audio output from them goes through a mixer (Soundcraft, not USB enabled) back into the Scarlett. The MIDI on the Scarlett works perfectly with KXStudio.
bmarkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 09:02 AM   #15
lilith93

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarkham View Post
MB: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3
Proc: AMD FX-8350 + big cooler
RAM: 16GB
Drives: I use a startech dual 2.5 hotswap bay + 240GB SSD drives for each OS

Native OS: KXStudio all the way baby! (Its a specialized Ubuntu build).
Daws: Ardour and Reaper

Outboard: Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 -- works out of the box with Cadence management of Jack

A variety of hardware synths + mics, none of which are linux specific. But how well MIDI works is rather important -- the midi comes and goes from the Scarlett, daisy-chained through the various synths and the audio output from them goes through a mixer (Soundcraft, not USB enabled) back into the Scarlett. The MIDI on the Scarlett works perfectly with KXStudio.
Just curious: For what do you use Ardour and for what Reaper? Do you prefer one DAW over the other for different tasks?
lilith93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:49 AM   #16
bmarkham

Default Ardour v reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilith93 View Post
Just curious: For what do you use Ardour and for what Reaper? Do you prefer one DAW over the other for different tasks?
When I'm working on Windows, I use Reaper exclusively. (Although occasionally to mix tracks I export from Live as well.) I have all the fancy expensive plugins there like melodyne/ozone/etc.

On Linux, I use Reaper for recording, but export the tracks and use Ardour for mixing. I use Reaper for recording because Reafir is better than sliced bread! lol

It's not because of any deficiency in Reaper itself, but because on Linux most available plugins are in LV2 rather than VST format, and Ardour will load both whereas Reaper is limited to VST only. There are some VST format plugins for linux, and some really great ones, but easily 90% of available plugins, including some really awesome ones are LV2 only.

Sometimes you can work around this (e.g. using the Carla VST host to bridge an LV2 plugin) but I find it is less stable than using them natively.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:12 AM   #17
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarkham View Post
It's not because of any deficiency in Reaper itself, but because on Linux most available plugins are in LV2 rather than VST format, and Ardour will load both whereas Reaper is limited to VST only.
I'm hoping we'll see LV2 support added to REAPER for Linux in the near future, along with more developers adding VST Linux support.

I can't imagine that including Linux as one of the target OSs would be that big of a deal. Probably a matter of compiling with an updated library, but that's speculation on my part.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:58 PM   #18
s wave

Default I used ardour... switching to REAPER

Yes lilith93 (same one that snubbed Adam? lol) I used Ardour for quite awhile... I like it but in some areas its just not as fast as Reaper. GUI-ly if thats a word. To me Ardour is more simplistic and good for 'certain projects'. Overall Reaper has some REAL PRO abilities. And it is light lean and fast. (Ardour can take 10 seconds or more to load when you near 100 tracks etc) The way sound gets processed is important... especially if you start doing higher quality work. I would still be on Ardour but - what I really like is the way Reaper does its 64-bit internal audio processing.

I feel comfortable having Ardour as a back-up... maybe from some personal habits I developed while using Ardour for a while. (I have never had Ardour crash either) AND like Bmarkhum stated I like to have the option of LV2 plugins some CALF plugins and some old standards too..

Thats what I used for years... but I am blown away by some of Reapers and JS plugins. If I fumble around looking to filter a sound... Ardour is still more familiar.

One note is that I needed to do a lofi vocal in a quality mix and between Audacity and Ardour I got it done good and quick. I needed about a 1.2 bit sampling rate on a vocal. Just where the vocal starts dropping out just a bit to the human ear. (is it breaking up? is that the real voice? gray area)

The other area I still use Ardour is with certain soft synth sounds I like from fluid synth or Bristol. Especially Bristol synth. I can record a synth trumpet through a soft moog... soft dx7...and then thru a soft B-3 organ and then even modulate it... I get off the wall crazy sounds. So when I get writers block that busts me out and I almost always find a cool answer for my want or need.

Reaper is drawing me in fast. But there is huge linux music community for a long time... and to me Ardour is the only linux DAW that fits me. I do a fair amount of comp recordings too... Compilations of say 20 similar recordings of the same vocal and I have developed a fairly fast way of editing a lead vocal track using numerous clips. (Maybe like how they produce Adele and Aguilera)

It comes from my filming backround maybe... do we have enough in the can to edit a movie? I'll keep the wardrobe and film a stand in from the back. And oh ya shoot some landscape scenes for narration and segues. . LOL Ardour still gives me that. If a singer hits a rare performance IMO I want to get some back up sounds from that voice at that time to compile or fix possible errors I did not hear.

I am sure Reaper can do much the same thing even better but when I record an all Reaper song... I will post and let you know. That is my next project. after this one. bless
Old 10-29-2018, 07:16 PM   #19
s wave

Default bmarkham... like the set-up

I used KXStudio in its infancy and never got around back to it. Ardour was primal too. When I finally got serious about setting up a stable sys I used Mint (early) and never went back to try KSX again. I love your hot swap OS Hardrive set-up. I just cold swap. I have no bay yet. To me that is freedom. hard drive messes up bang plug another in... music to my ears. If I need LV2 plug in I pop in ARDOUR loaded Hard drive and good to go... stable as a rock. I love the 78 series amd board... big fan of it - I bet you could even plug a old win hard drive in it and it will use the same bios and setting!!! lol BIG PLUS +1 on Focusrite with Cadence - I am Jealous - JACK gets trying for my little mind sometimes. (Mint now offers LVM and Timeshift that was big to me - had to wait long time tho)

Another note... I am hack type guy --- I needed to cool off some amd cpus over the years... I needed thermal paste to do it... I used airplane grade 'red grease' super hi thermal grade. Thin coat. never dried out. believe it or not some PCs the fan stopped working cuz it was so cool... I just put an always on CPU fan atop... Frigid temps... Might be worth looking at with that great 8350 beast...tc
Old 10-30-2018, 07:31 AM   #20
lilith93

Thanks for the comments about Ardour and Reaper. I also use both at the moment. Reaper can of course do a lot more than Ardour, but sometimes I feel lost in all the menus. I'm working mainly with midi (VSTs) and sometimes record some guitars. Reapers midi capabilities are much better than those of Ardour (e.g. scales, apes, better quantization, etc.), but what I really like in Ardour is the in-track midi editor. I find it much faster and also the overview is better. And the midi capabilities are currently improved.

I also like the mixer and the routing grid more in Ardour. It's true that the Ardour GUI feels a bit rocky, especially when drawing automation lines, but I got used to it meanwhile.

I have a little bit the feeling that when using Ardour I think more about the things I'm doing. There are midi tracks, audio mono and stereo tracks, busses, etc. Reaper has only one track, which is an advantage, but you start not questioning things. You just use it and it works. So under the line, imo the learning effect is larger when using Ardour ... at least for me.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:02 AM   #21
s wave

Default Nice electro! what mic for vocals?

Very nice music Lilith93 - tell us about your Hardware & synth? What mic did you use...liebe the vocal sounds you made. I am fan of exploring new sounds like that with personal touch. Would be perfect for movie sound tracks too. I used to work with Celestial Harmonies (a guy from Germany) / Teldec etc. Eclectic World Music. I used to distribute some his records a little to try to finance my own label. You ever hear of Kitaro? lp 'Silk Road'. worth a look.
Like the 'Euro Sound' you are creating...
I agree alot with why you still use Adour too.The visual of looking at the desktop environment does help a bit to keep on the creative side of doing things. Decent default size of DAW DE user screen and tracks. Maybe a larger monitor would help me a bit when using Reaper. As well as having that Ardour mind set of making another track (in Reaper), you are right the individual track and item capabilities of of Reaper dwarf Ardour. The best cakes are made with just a few ingredients; not all the ingredients of the world.

*I still get confused sometimes with jack... i need catia or cadence gui.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:54 AM   #22
bmarkham

Default Great tips s wave!

Yeah, those AMD FX cpus can get pretty steamy! I have found, oddly, that they run a lot hotter on windows than linux though, which is a head scratcher. I've seriously considered water cooling. lilith93 -- great sounds!

Knock on wood, that 78 series Mobo is tough as nails!
Old 10-30-2018, 02:27 PM   #23
s wave

Default CPU cooling

CPU cooling is an odd bird. My best results have been using a touch of the heatsink material in super fine dust...mixed with that aeronautic thermal 'red grease' yes its cheap or super high grade auto racing red grease or the like. {the thinness of the thermal paste drastically increases the heat transference. In other words: If it has aluminium heat sink... I use super fine aluminium dust. (if i dont have any i sand some off with super fine sand paper or emory cloth 1000 grit +) mix just a little bit of it with red grease and I get at least 10 degrees cooler than any thermal paste. If it is brass/brass dust etc. The red grease fills in imperfections on back of cpu (polishing/lapping it is better - and even better lap off the protective nickel alloy plating... if there is silver on back you are real good BUT IF YOU DO IT BE CAREFUL! practice once on old dead CPU first. Its actually easy. The dust will fill in imperfections on back of heat sink and red grease does the rest. Thermal cooling is an art more than a science imo. [if you really get into it... worth studying the metals that have the finest or 'smallest dust'. cheers
Old 10-30-2018, 03:43 PM   #24
cyrano

Adding some rust might get you even more interesting effects...

DON'T!

That's what makes Thermite. Not a coolant at all.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:04 PM   #25
lilith93

Thanks guys, much appreciated . The mixes improve with every new track and there is so much to learn. I'm making music more regularly since the last six months only. Before I played with Renoise which I really like, but I wanted to use a more classic DAW like Ardour or Reaper. Also to learn more about the techniques like compression and stuff. I also tried Bitwig, which is nice too, but it has a lot of possibilities which made me feeling lost somehow. I have some gear like a Microkorg and an Alesis SR16, but I rarely use it.

I use Debian and added the KX repos and make all tracks in the box with Linux plugins only. The vocal sounds come all from public domain samples (e.g. https://freesound.org/people/JaimeB1946/sounds/398223/ from the track https://soundcloud.com/lilith_93/le-clair-de-la-lune-1). I think I have to improve the mix for that one, there's also some clipping I want to remove.

As synths I use mainly Zynfusion, Tal Noizemaker, free U-HE Stuff, OXE FM (mainly used here: https://soundcloud.com/lilith_93/c18h25no , which I made for https://fmchallenge.osamc.de ), etc.

Currently I'm working on that one: https://soundcloud.com/lilith_93/som...-10-30/s-MfriP It's 100% done with Ardour.

It's almost finished, but if you have comments I'll try to follow them in order to improve it .

@s wave: What label is this? I'm curious. I think I listened to that KITARO album, but I'll check it again. To what Euro sounds are you refering?

Ups... forgot: The guitars are recorded by me. At least these are not sampled.

Totally forgot about the hardware which I will add tomorrow.

Last edited by lilith93; 10-30-2018 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:45 PM   #26
s wave

Default Reply

Silk Road is an song on synth from the album of the same name 'Silk Road' performed by the artist: Kitaro. The label was called Celestial Harmonies... the label also did much of their own promotion as well as distribution. I helped distribute the album through my contacts all independently. I was a kid involved with a label called MUSE/ART. Our albums over lapped some of the same demographics... As I remember the President/Owner of Celestial Harmonies was a German man with a German sounding name living in Wilton Connecticut. I believe the album had incredible sales worldwide. Many record labels and distributors were involved. I am sure it was multi-platinum. Hard to track total sales with that kind of independent arms.

The euro sounds I was referring to was the percussive synth bass type sounds. I love what you did. Kind of Nena Hagen...bass style but (on synth??) with your twist and more modern too. Play 99 LuftBallons... pay attention to that style/sound bass.

I have turned from executive producer to singer song writer auteur. Something I always wanted to do. My talent is not that of classically trained musician I try to get the sounds and song I hear in my head out to the best of my abilities... but music is my soul food period. Would not mind giving my thoughts or advice to you anytime... when I get my latest song out I would love you to hear it... Still have some cleaning up re editing mix mastering left to do. It is American Euro Alternative Dance thingy... lol (All Ardour) but the next one will be produced quick in Alternative Rock type genre on REAPER.) Working for a living gets in the way.

If you need a sound or something I would love to offer. No guarantees you will like it... till later
Old 11-01-2018, 09:07 AM   #27
lilith93

My setup:

System: Host: fox Kernel: 4.9.0-8-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit)
Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)
Machine: Device: desktop Mobo: MSI model: H81M-E34 (MS-7817) v: 3.0
BIOS: American Megatrends v: V17.5 date: 03/30/2015
CPU: Quad core Intel Core i5-4460 (-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB
clock speeds: max: 3400 MHz 1: 3360 MHz 2: 3355 MHz 3: 3325 MHz
4: 3302 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
Display Server: X.Org 1.19.2 drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Desktop
GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 13.0.6
Audio: Card-1 Intel 8 Series/C220 Series High Definition Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel
Card-2 Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio Controller
Card-3 AKAI Professional M.I. LPK25 MIDI Keyboard
driver: USB Audio
Card-4 ZOOM driver: USB Audio
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.9.0-8-amd64
Network: Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
driver: r8169
IF: enp2s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full
mac: d8:cb:8a:e8:e9:99
Drives: HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (17.7% used)
ID-1: /dev/sdb model: Samsung_SSD_850 size: 250.1GB
ID-2: USB /dev/sda model: Portable_SSD_T5 size: 250.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 28G used: 17G (64%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb1
ID-2: /home size: 194G used: 50G (27%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb6
ID-3: swap-1 size: 7.99GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sdb5
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 40.0C mobo: 44.0C
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 880 fan-1: 775 fan-3: 0 fan-4: 0 fan-5: 0
Info: Processes: 197 Uptime: 2:07 Memory: 3043.0/7424.6MB
Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.5

Studio Monitors: Presonus Eris 5
Interface: Zoom R8
Controller: Mackie Big Knob Passive
Room: untreated
Some Hardware gear: Mixer, Synth... effect pedals, Jackson Professional guitar, Gibson SG, etc.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:48 AM   #28
s wave

Default Zoom R8

Sounds like nice compact portable interface. Battery powered too? Have you recorded using an XLR mic along with onboard mic (I think it has 1 or 2); if so, how did it sound? I have had decent results with other onboard/xlr combinations. Not familiar here...BTW thx for all Hardware info... great and detailed.

I like to record at 24/48hz except for some lead vocals or instruments (cymbals LOL) where I peg out the hertz at 192/384hz.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:53 AM   #29
lilith93

The Zoom R8 is also battery powered, but I never used it. Even the internal mics sound great. I haven't recorded my voice with a XLR mic, I only used it for measuring the freq response of my room with Room EQ Wizard.

Code:
inxi -F
gives you directly the HW config of your system.

The plug bass sounds you mentioned? In which Song did you hear them? Moonchild or Outlaw?
Old 11-01-2018, 12:40 PM   #30
s wave

Default Plug bass

Yes i love it at end of outlaw and all the way through in moonchild. (beginning of outlaw it get a little over shadow... or sit back a little in the mix - not a bad thing) tc regards
Old 11-04-2018, 09:17 PM   #31
s wave

Default inxi -F nice quick command for hardware info ...thx lilith

my last hard drive set up...

$ inxi -F
System: Host: nathaniel-desktop Kernel: 4.10.0-30-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.4.4 Distro: Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya
Machine: Mobo: ASUSTeK model: M5A97 LE R2.0 v: Rev 1.xx
Bios: American Megatrends v: 2601 date: 03/24/2015
CPU: Octa core AMD FX-8320E Eight-Core (-MCP-) cache: 16384 KB
clock speeds: max: 3200 MHz 1: 1400 MHz 2: 1400 MHz 3: 1400 MHz
4: 2800 MHz 5: 1800 MHz 6: 1400 MHz 7: 1800 MHz 8: 1800 MHz
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GK107 [GeForce GTX 650]
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1440x900@59.89hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NVE7 GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.0.7
Audio: Card-1 NVIDIA GK107 HDMI Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.10.0-30-generic
Network: Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
driver: r8169
IF: enp2s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full
mac: f8:32:e4:ba:62:a
Drives: HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (14.6% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD5000AAKS size: 500.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 455G used: 65G (15%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
ID-2: swap-1 size: 4.19GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID: No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 18.2C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 10,000
Info: Processes: 223 Uptime: 5:07 Memory: 1088.4/7946.8MB
Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.35

very nice linux terminal command----> inxi -F <----- for Hardware

information of your PC! tx again llith93