Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 12-01-2010, 11:31 AM   #1
schwa
Administrator

Default >> v4: Area selection and editing changes (media item, envelope points, and MIDI)

Some area selection functionality already existed in REAPER 3, in occasionally obscure ways. Some default behaviors have changed to provide more direct access to area selection, and you can fine-tune the behaviors using mouse modifier customization (Preferences/Editing Behavior/Mouse Modifiers). Some use case examples are listed below.

To create a time selection entirely within a selected media item, or starting within a media item and extending beyond it, you can do any of the following:
+ Select the item, then create the time selection in the ruler, or in empty track space below the media item.
+ Or, enable “Preferences/Appearance/Draw item labels above media items”, and create the time selection in the label space immediately above the media item, which will also select the media item.
+ Or, marquee select the media item while holding the alt key, which creates a time selection at the same time. You can change the marquee mouse modifier so that the default behavior is to select media items and create a time selection at the same time.
+ Or, set the “Media item (lower part)” mouse modifier to “Pass through to ruler context”, then create the time selection by dragging the mouse over the lower part of the media item.

There are new “smart” copy/cut actions that first check to see if the time selection contains any selected media items (or envelope points), and if so, cuts/copies only the area within the time selection. If there is empty space within the time selection before or after the cut/copied media items (or envelope points), that empty space will be preserved when pasting. If the time selection does not contain any selected media item (or envelope point), the time selection is ignored, and all selected media items (or envelope points) are cut/copied.

These new “smart” copy/cut actions are assigned to control+C and control+X by default. If you have previously customized those key commands, or if you want to change back to the old copy/cut actions (which disregard time selection), use the Actions window to change the key command assignments,

For media items, the default mouse behaviors for moving and copying work differently depending on where the mouse drag begins. If the drag begins within the time selection, only the selected area of the item is moved or copied. If the drag begins outside the time selection, the entire item is moved or copied. These behaviors can be changed using the mouse modifier preferences.

A convenient mouse modifier customization would be to set the “Media item (lower half)” behavior to “Pass through to ruler context”. Then you can create a time selection by dragging in the lower half of the item, and move/copy the selected area by dragging in the top half of the item.

If you want to move or copy some media items, while preserving empty space on either side of the set of items, you can enable “Options/Trim content behind media items while editing”, and use the mouse modifier “Move (or copy) item and time selection.” Moving or copying an item within the time selection will then cause the entire time selection to move along with the item, and when the mouse is released, any existing items will be trimmed behind the moved time selection (on tracks with moved items).

Another convenience for area selection is a new action “Fit items to time selection, padding with silence as needed.”

In general, envelope points are now treated as continuous blocks of automation when moving or copying. There is also a new setting in Preferences/Editing Behavior/Envelopes for ”Envelope point selection follows time selection,” which is enabled by default. (This option is also available in the Options menu, in the envelopes toolbar button context menu, and as an action.) When this preference is enabled, dragging envelope points starting inside the time selection will treat the entire time selection as a single block of automation, including empty space on either side of the envelope points.

You can now create and edit the project time selection in the MIDI editor, by using the mouse in the MIDI editor ruler, or over the MIDI CC lane divider. (To adjust the height of the CC lane, grab the grippy sections at the left and right edges of the CC lane divider.) There is a new MIDI editor setting, Options/”Auto-select CC when moving/copying within project time selection” (enabled by default). With this setting enabled, moving or copying CC events within the project time selection will move or copy the entire time selection, preserving any leading or trailing empty space.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:41 PM   #2
AdamWathan
Human being with feelings

"Smart Remove" and "Smart Split" as well perhaps?

Looks like the actual mechanism for area selection is the same as before, only way to do it is by marquee + time selection, anything else is two actions (select item, then create time selection). I'm happy with this anyways, always was.

Would be nice to have an option for the drawn time selection to be "per track" though, so only tracks crossed by the mouse when drawing the time selection would have the selection drawn. This would give the visual improvement people were looking for. It would look like the SWS Zoom Tool selection for example
AdamWathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:29 PM   #3
dub3000

Wow, this feels pretty powerful already
dub3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:28 PM   #4
FarBeyondMetal

This is sweet. I figured out how to change my marquee tool to select items and area selection, but if I hold alt and do my marquee tool it does the same thing. Any way to change this?
FarBeyondMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:43 PM   #5
Shan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWathan View Post
Would be nice to have an option for the drawn time selection to be "per track" though, so only tracks crossed by the mouse when drawing the time selection would have the selection drawn. This would give the visual improvement people were looking for. It would look like the SWS Zoom Tool selection for example
+1. A modified SWS Zoom Tool selection would give us a real Area Selection using left click & drag.

Shane

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM
Shan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:48 PM   #6
AdamWathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
+1. A modified SWS Zoom Tool selection would give us a real Area Selection using left click & drag.

Shane
Yep... So far it is the number one feature request and not really a single thing to do with it has changed for v4. There is still no area selection available.

An area selection should be drawn the exact same way an item selection is drawn, but without necessarily containing the whole item. Selecting an item should merely create an area selection that matches the size and position of the item.

Anyways, it's not a deal breaker for me, I was comfortable just doing the right click marquee + time selection thing, no problem. But there's no real reason to have "Area selection" in the title of this thread, because nothing from that FR has changed from v3.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:56 PM   #7
dub3000

so, yeah. i have it set up so i can select time range with drag in lower-half of object, and autocut/drag that section around with upper half of object. very very cool.

out of interest, does anyone know if there are actions to snap start/end of selection to nearest peak/zero crossing?
Old 12-01-2010, 05:00 PM   #8
Kundalinguist

OSX PPC: Leo.

re; selection: when I select an area of an item and then click in that area (no modifiers) that selected area is then cut out and I am able to drag it independently of the item. I see that this is the default for copy, but also drag? I'm not sure BUT might there be a "danger" to that...you know, in case multiple items have been selected and I happen to drag one item and unintentionally cut the others below it? My concern might be groundless. Just a thought...
Old 12-01-2010, 05:04 PM   #9
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Yep... So far it is the number one feature request and not really a single thing to do with it has changed for v4.
Here's an example of something you can do now. Please use this thread to suggest other potential and desired uses. One change that would probably go a long way would be to have a single mouse action that can be used for "select items and time" whether the drag starts in the track or over a media item.

Last edited by schwa; 12-01-2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:08 PM   #10
gwok

excuse my ignorance, but is there a particular mouse mod setup to do that Schwa?

or other tweaks to go with it?

tx

edit:got it, working fine now

Last edited by gwok; 12-01-2010 at 05:58 PM.
gwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:08 PM   #11
dub3000

one single change to do it - go into the mouse editor in the settings, select 'item (lower half)' (i think), and change it to 'pass through to ruler context' (i think).

amaaaaazing. devs, this should be the default mode!!!! also needs to update the cursor when in the bottom half of the item.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:38 PM   #12
Shan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub3000 View Post
one single change to do it - go into the mouse editor in the settings, select 'item (lower half)' (i think), and change it to 'pass through to ruler context' (i think).

amaaaaazing. devs, this should be the default mode!!!! also needs to update the cursor when in the bottom half of the item.
The main problem though is that it makes a Time selection, not an Area selection as the thread title alludes to. Let's see how this develops throughout the beta via our feedback etc.

Shane

Old 12-01-2010, 07:01 PM   #13
AdamWathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Here's an example of something you can do now. Please use this thread to suggest other potential and desired uses. One change that would probably go a long way would be to have a single mouse action that can be used for "select items and time" whether the drag starts in the track or over a media item.

Yeah sorry, this is cool I don't disagree!

It is not really "area selection" related though, it is more of a new time selection based editing feature. Area Selection is about the visual feedback of creating a PER TRACK time selection that selects the item as well.

As said before, marquee+time selection already handles the function beautifully, it's just not as nice to look at. Honestly there is nothing in the Area Selection FR we couldn't already do except the non-contiguous selections (ie. multiple simultaneously existing time selections).

An area selection is, like you said, simply about selecting items and time with one action, which is done with the marquee+time selection currently. I think what people want is the ability to do that a) with the left mouse button, and b) in a way that is more visually "normal" I guess.

The idea is to sort of blur the lines between "selected items" and "selected area of selected items". You would just have "selection". So clicking an item just creates an "area selection" that matches the item's position and length, whereas drawing an area selection manually selects whatever you touch.

I think the visually confusing thing is that when you select an item and select a time selection, the unaffected part of the item is still visually selected. Obviously this is a huge paradigm change that might be too big of a leap, understandable.

Nevertheless, I think an option to draw the "marquee + time selection" in a way that the time selection is only drawn on the affected tracks would be cool. So instead of an "across the board" time selection, it would only be drawn where you drag, much like SWS' zoom tool.

At the end of the day I honestly don't care that much, I like the current implementation just fine, the functionality is all there, it just looks different than how people might expect (text editor style for example).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
The main problem though is that it makes a Time selection, not an Area selection as the thread title alludes to. Let's see how this develops throughout the beta via our feedback etc.

Shane
Yeah this part sucks, the "pass to ruler" is not great in this case, you still have to select the item as well. If however, "marquee + time selection" becomes an option for left click in the ruler, all of a sudden this becomes a lot more interesting...
Old 12-01-2010, 07:47 PM   #14
Shan

Quote:
If however, "marquee + time selection" becomes an option for left click in the ruler, all of a sudden this becomes a lot more interesting...
...along with a few visual changes, which would be easy to sort out, we'd be there.

I have it currently running "smart tool" style, just no area selection yet. We'll get there.

Shane

Old 12-01-2010, 08:03 PM   #15
musicbynumbers

I would love to have it a better representation for showing JUST the area of the item selected/to be affected. At the moment I had to do a lot to get this without adveresly destroying my time selection by not being able to see it in empty spaces any more.

We could almost do with being able to have a separate area selection and time selection via the mouse modifier pref.

Even if it is mostly visual, that would still help
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:52 PM   #16
musicbynumbers

Default envelopes should follow an items timestretch to (via option)

An additional option for envelopes to allow them to follow their related items time stretching (so envelopes compress and expand in sync with the audio item) in would be amazing for keeping everything in sync!
Old 12-01-2010, 10:14 PM   #17
lawrs

Schwa my dear...

There seems to be a bug with "move envelope segment within time selection". It doesn't work unless the envelope track has an existing env point.

[img]http://img259.**************/img259/7430/enveditingbug.gif[/img]

Also .. it doesn't seem very intuitive to have the env point where start of time selection is, to always create a slope. Can it be changed to this instead ?

I think one additional env point needs to be created to anchor existing level right before start of time selection.

One improvement that would be greatly appreciated is if a very small slope between env 1&2 and 3&4 could be created by default. Look at the 2nd gif above again for example, notice it's not just a drop in the time selection, it's a very tiny fade/slope. This would be epic time saver to have.

Cheers. Thanks for improving Reaper.

Last edited by lawrs; 12-01-2010 at 10:20 PM.
lawrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:19 PM   #18
AdamWathan

+1 to lawrs, should create 4 new points imo!
Old 12-01-2010, 10:22 PM   #19
FarBeyondMetal

Sorry to repeat my question but I didn't get an answer and I'm curious. Is there a way to change the Alt marquee behavior because when I change my default marquee behavior to select items and time I don't want it to do the same thing when I hold Alt.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:25 PM   #20
AdamWathan

Just change the alt+click behavior in the mouse modifiers, it's about 30 pixels down from the place where you changed the regular behavior! :P Haha...

Old 12-01-2010, 10:35 PM   #21
AdamWathan

Quote:
If you want to move or copy some media items, while preserving empty space on either side of the set of items, you can enable “Options/Trim content behind media items while editing”, and use the mouse modifier “Move (or copy) item and time selection.” Moving or copying an item within the time selection will then cause the entire time selection to move along with the item, and when the mouse is released, any existing items will be trimmed behind the moved time selection (on tracks with moved items).
This is great! Anyway we can get "Paste" to do this as well if "Trim content behind..." is enabled?
Old 12-01-2010, 10:51 PM   #22
Mercado_Negro

+1 to lawrs (to schwa: this what I was talking about in the IRC)

+1 to Adam

Oh and +1 to true area selection
Old 12-01-2010, 10:52 PM   #23
FarBeyondMetal

Quote:
Just change the alt+click behavior in the mouse modifiers, it's about 30 pixels down from the place where you changed the regular behavior! :P Haha...
I changed it in the actions list instead of options menu... DOH!
Old 12-01-2010, 11:32 PM   #24
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrs View Post
There seems to be a bug with "move envelope segment within time selection". It doesn't work unless the envelope track has an existing env point.
Fixing, thanks.

Quote:
Also .. it doesn't seem very intuitive to have the env point where start of time selection is, to always create a slope. Can it be changed to this instead ?
Fixing, thanks (the behavior you expected was the intended behavior, the missing point is a bug).

Quote:
One improvement that would be greatly appreciated is if a very small slope between env 1&2 and 3&4 could be created by default.
That already exists: preferences/editing behavior/envelopes/transition time for automatically created envelope points (though the slope will be more useful once the missing-point bug is fixed).
Old 12-02-2010, 01:23 AM   #25
Shan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post

Oh and +1 to true area selection
+1 billion.

Shane

Old 12-02-2010, 07:10 AM   #26
lawrs

Quote:
Fixing, thanks.

Fixing, thanks (the behavior you expected was the intended behavior, the missing point is a bug).

That already exists: preferences/editing behavior/envelopes/transition time for automatically created envelope points (though the slope will be more useful once the missing-point bug is fixed).
Reaper dev team is da bomb. Thanks for addressing these, your reply is much appreciated.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:34 AM   #27
Kundalinguist

Sorry Lawrs, you can't say "da bomb" and not get flagged for the "no fly" list. Next time try: "Gee, those Reaper fellas are a nice bunch of unarmed, well-adjusted patriots helping the economy to thrive by staying competitive and generating tax revenue."

But I agree, their coding momentum is "explosive." Uh oh...
Old 12-02-2010, 07:37 AM   #28
AdamWathan

Also, anyway we can get single click in an envelope lane to deselect all points? Currently that is the only context where that doesn't happen. Please see this discussion!

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...light=envelope
Old 12-02-2010, 07:51 AM   #29
AdamWathan

Quote:
One change that would probably go a long way would be to have a single mouse action that can be used for "select items and time" whether the drag starts in the track or over a media item.
I agree 100%! All you really have to do is make "marquee + time selection" an option in the ruler context. Then the user can set the "media item" default action to "pass through to ruler context" and set "media item (bottom part)" to the standard media item behaviors and you have your "area selection in top half of track" working.

One suggestion I have for the mouse modifiers... Maybe in the "track" context, "No Action" should be named "pass through to ruler context" since that's what it actually does? Clicking and dragging in a track when it is set to "no action" draws a time selection for example.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:52 AM   #30
lawrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kundalinguist View Post
Sorry Lawrs, you can't say "da bomb" and not get flagged for the "no fly" list. Next time try: "Gee, those Reaper fellas are a nice bunch of unarmed, well-adjusted patriots helping the economy to thrive by staying competitive and generating tax revenue."

But I agree, their coding momentum is "explosive." Uh oh...
Hahah, ok I'll try again. Golly, Reaper dev team is da shiznits!

On a serious note, Schwa, is there an existing feature that allows users to "unglue/revert to original item files" items that have been glued?
Old 12-02-2010, 07:58 AM   #31
AdamWathan

Ok, so organized suggestions:

1. Add "Smart Remove" and "Smart Split". Self-explanatory I think but just time selection aware versions of the same actions, honestly exactly the same as the SWS versions. Might as well not stop half way if we are going the "smart" route (yay for action intelligence!)

2. Allow "Paste" to include and trim empty space if "trim behind..." is enabled, much like when using "move item and time selection" with "trim behind..." enabled.

3. Add "marquee select items and time" as an option for "ruler context"

4. Change "No Action" in the track context modifiers to "Pass through to ruler context", since that's what it actually does.

5. Allow deselecting of all envelope points in a lane when clicking in empty space in the lane for consistency with other areas of Reaper (item and track selections for example)
Old 12-02-2010, 07:42 PM   #32
airon

Interesting. Let's just see.

Quote:
To create a time selection entirely within a selected media item, or starting within a media item and extending beyond it, you can do any of the following:
+ Select the item, then create the time selection in the ruler, or in empty track space below the media item.
+ Or, enable “Preferences/Appearance/Draw item labels above media items”, and create the time selection in the label space immediately above the media item, which will also select the media item.
+ Or, marquee select the media item while holding the alt key, which creates a time selection at the same time. You can change the marquee mouse modifier so that the default behavior is to select media items and create a time selection at the same time.
So far so good. Those are the old school Reaper methods.

Quote:
+ Or, set the “Media item (lower part)” mouse modifier to “Pass through to ruler context”, then create the time selection by dragging the mouse over the lower part of the media item.
Interesting. You flipped the requested target zone from upper half to lower half. Why did you make that choice ? I'll have to do some testing to see how well this works for me.

It is possible to have the upper half use the ruler context, but you have to move some of the other mouse modifiers from the media item context to the 'Media item(lower part)' context as well to stay consistent.

This is more difficult without being able to copy and paste an entire zone set. Those functions would also need to scan for feedback effects. Copy, paste, swap, clear and a filing system similar to the menu system is suggested.

Quote:
There are new “smart” copy/cut actions that first check to see if the time selection contains any selected media items (or envelope points), and if so, cuts/copies only the area within the time selection.
<snip>(had to shorten the post)
Quote:
A convenient mouse modifier customization would be to set the “Media item (lower half)” behavior to “Pass through to ruler context”. Then you can create a time selection by dragging in the lower half of the item, and move/copy the selected area by dragging in the top half of the item.

In general, envelope points are now treated as continuous blocks of automation when moving or copying. There is also a new setting in Preferences/Editing Behavior/Envelopes for ”Envelope point selection follows time selection,” which is enabled by default.
What this all does, is provide an easier way to make selections we could already make before. Left-click and drag to make an item and marquee selection is after all a shorter route than using ALT+right-click and drag, or as I do it, right-click and drag.

The entire effort addresses only this small interface problem, but does not provide the functionality the area selection request actually asks for. The functions that now take empty space in to account almost disguise this fact.

Area selection is actually a selection context all of its own, and it was meant to be that way for many reasons.

Visual Feedback

While it is true that the "previous art" we were partially modelling our request on made what essentially is a time selection in the process, Reaper has always provided the flexibility to the user to determine what happens when a time selection is made. The playhead would jump to the start of a time selection or not. What Reaper always does when it creates a time selection is draw an indication of it across the entire height of the session and on top of all elements. The time selection as it is drawn could be said to veil the arrangement area. Visually this creates problems as it often obscures what items are selected.

The classically drawn item and time selection suffers from a lack of visual clarity as to what the user has actually selected, i.e. the cross section of item and time selection, because items are always selected completely to begin with. The default theme does not improve this by basically being a white veil. In case anyone's interested, here are my settings for the time selection that marginally improved its use for me: Time Selection Color 106 74 255, Time Selection Fill Mode - Dodge 0.39, Timeline background(in loop parts) 255 17 17.

The area selection context as it was requested to be drawn, is really just an inversion local to the selected area. Whether or not the user wishes to have a time selection presents the same visual problem. Here are alternatives to the current drawing method for both the classic selection methods and area selection.

First, the Area Selection drawing method. These are ideas that should be severly scrutinized for flaws please.

The empty space, items and envelopes are inverted where the area selection is made, and only there.
A time selection is draw across the time ruler, and optionally at the edges as lines across the entire session. This way the user will always know what selection context is currently in use.

Secondly, the classic item and time selection drawing method. I hope this would be an improvement not just for myself.

Since this selection method is somewhat special and highly useful for complex selections, it needs to clarify what it does differently to the area selection context.

Items are selected and are drawn as such. However, the Time Selection is only drawn underneath the items between its boundaries and on top of them at the edges.

The item/time selection cross section is the crux of the matter and thus should not be veiled. The time selection edges are important and the cross section are important. Everything else is secondary.

The item/time selection cross section has its own drawing method. Inversion, dodge, normal with alpha.

That's all there's to it. Keep the time selection background underneath the items and a separate theme colour/method setting, and make the item+TS drawing a separate setting that also uses inversion as an option. Perhaps its cheaper to draw too.

Functional problems
The functionality of copying and pasting bits of an envelope is in fact incomplete in this effort to extend the already existing selection context. Pasting a section of an automation envelope does not adhere to the rule of being self-contained in its destination area. In other words there are no additional envelope points created at the edges.

Unselecting envelope points is also not possible with a simple click. A selection of nothing needs to be made. This can be a good thing, though its use is diminished as the copy command does not copy points if no time selection is present. That way a future area selection (or the current method for that matter), being the easiest way to make a selection of automation from point A to point B, will have less use than it could, and a separate copy command, probably not assigned to a keyboard shortcut, needs to be used.

Selecting envelopes(automation) across several lanes is a necessary improvement that area selection is meant to facilitate. Being its own selection context once again provides a way to make that distinction, as users cannot accidentally marquee across lanes, but select across lanes if they actually want to with area selection.

In conclusion I have to say that the improvements to the existing selection context are a step forward that is most welcome. The proposed area selection is actually its own selection context.

Things could get extremely complicated for the traditional selection context when looking at what Area Selection is supposed to achieve.

Functions applied to an actual area, which always includes empty space even if no items are in the selected area are many, amongst them are copy, paste, cut, delete, duplicate, Apply FX, Glue, Open Copy in External Editor, Dynamic Split, any automation writing function supposed to be local to an area and many, many more. Being its own selection context presents an opportunity for simplification, a way to visually separate it from the (complete)item and timeselection context.

<snip> (midi stuff is not my area of expertise at all)

Since this is the thread dealing with the item-mouse interaction, there's an aspect I wish to direct your attention to in addition to the points I made previously.

The item volume gain handle is not accessible, yet it is still being drawn.

This item volume gain parameter does not show up in the item properties and thus cannot be changed.

May I point to my suggestion that the item volume gain handle be always static and that no extra graphics be drawn beyond the scaled waveform peak drawing to indicate its value.

A static zone, the upper two or more pixels of the items graphical representation excluding the fade zones in this case, would lessen the chance of severe confusion and selection problems, if the user decides to make use of the item automation envelopes, fades, the mentioned item gain volume handle and perhaps even track automation.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:44 PM   #33
airon

Quote:
Ok, so organized suggestions:

1. Add "Smart Remove" and "Smart Split". Self-explanatory I think but just time selection aware versions of the same actions, honestly exactly the same as the SWS versions. Might as well not stop half way if we are going the "smart" route (yay for action intelligence!)

2. Allow "Paste" to include and trim empty space if "trim behind..." is enabled, much like when using "move item and time selection" with "trim behind..." enabled.

3. Add "marquee select items and time" as an option for "ruler context"

4. Change "No Action" in the track context modifiers to "Pass through to ruler context", since that's what it actually does.

5. Allow deselecting of all envelope points in a lane when clicking in empty space in the lane for consistency with other areas of Reaper (item and track selections for example)
+1 ....
Old 12-02-2010, 07:50 PM   #34
timlloyd

A huge +1 to Airon and Adam's explanatory posts..............
timlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:03 PM   #35
lawrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blechi View Post
v4.0alpha3 - December 2 2010
+ Envelopes: allow editing envelope within time selection if the envelope has no points
+ Envelopes: fixed edge point creation when editing envelope within time selection
Awesome. Thanks for listening.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:12 PM   #36
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Awesome. Thanks for listening.
Yes, I also say thanks to the team for fixing this

Now, lawrs, what if we had a 'smart' action to "move envelope segment within time selection IF time selection exist"? otherwise move the whole segment, does it make sense? Maybe it could work like items and time selection: if you drag within then it moves that portion but if you drag out of the time selection it moves the whole segment.

[EDIT] hmmm it looks I can make it work that way already by just changing "Move env segment within time sel" to Shift. I'll test it further.

[EDIT] actually I can change my worklfow and insert points with shift now and move segments within by just dragging up/down which works both ways: if I drag inside a time selection it moves that portion but if I drag outside it moves the whole segment... coolio!

Last edited by Mercado_Negro; 12-02-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Mercado_Negro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:38 PM   #37
schwa
Administrator

Just to reply to a couple of minor points here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
You flipped the requested target zone from upper half to lower half.
It's just terminology, once you have an action assigned to "media item (bottom part)", then the regular "media item" context is effectively only the top part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
Pasting a section of an automation envelope does not adhere to the rule of being self-contained in its destination area. In other words there are no additional envelope points created at the edges.
This behavior depends on the option "add edge points when moving envelope points" (which I think is enabled by default):

1MB screencap showing behavior with edge points enabled, then with edge points disabled: https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/1037829/capture.gif
Old 12-02-2010, 09:03 PM   #38
musicbynumbers

Default Can we make time selection start and end relative snap in this mode?

It would be amazing if the time selection's start and end (when copying or moving with the time selection attached) could relatively snap to beats and bars.

This would be great because we can then easily match up blocks of items that do not start at the beginning of the bar.

The current way only allows locking to the items you are moving .

(note: perhaps with relative snap on this actually works like I would want, going to test now)

Quote:

Old 12-02-2010, 09:06 PM   #39
airon

Ah yes. It's in the right-click context of the "Move Envelope Points with Items".

=EDIT=
Nope. Not working. I have all options on, but I'm not getting the desired behaviour. Will continue testing to find a combo that works, if it's not a bug.
===
Edit2
Shift+dragging an envelope point that's part of the ruler-context selection works. Copy/pasting by manually placing the edit cursor in another place in the envelope lane, so far no luck.

Last edited by airon; 12-02-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:41 PM   #40
Shan

I'm no longer seeing "Pass through to ruler context" in the new Alpha 3. Here it is in Alpha 2:

Shane