Old 01-06-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
neilzomg
Human being with feelings

Default Acoustic Foam

I've ordered a few pieces of acoustic foam to put in the corner of my bedroom studio for recording some vocals, I don't want to glue it up as I'd love to be able to take them up and down if needed.

Are there any suggestions?
neilzomg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:33 PM   #2
ChetStrzepa

Glue something to the back of the foam using a spray adhesive. Probably liquid nails, or a silicone would work as well.

I just glued strips or pieces of cardboard to the foam, then hung the panels using either very fine nails, pins, regular picture hooks, or even those 3M hooks that have a tape to stick to the wall. The 3M hooks can be removed later leaving no holes in the walls. With pins or fine nails, you can pin straight through the foam as a decent cardboard should provide enough strain relief assuming you've got lightweight 2" 2'x2' panels for example. Or a thick cardboard can rest right on a small hook, or cut a small hole in the cardboard for the hooks to fit into.

In Sound on Sound magazine's "Studio SOS" articles, they often glue old cd's to the foam for the same purpose. Thin plywood pieces are probably fine too, plastic lattice, or even pegboard that has holes in it.
ChetStrzepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:51 PM   #3
neilzomg

Cheers for the reply, I'll try one of the methods when i receive the foam!
neilzomg is offline   Reply With Quote